Sprint to begin throttling data this summer?

Last Updated:

1. Dession

Dession Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sprint to begin throttling data this summer? -- Engadget

Wait, what?! What does throttling even mean? They choose when to increase/decrease our speeds?

Advertisement
  2. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what it means.

I don't see where they got that prediction that it's going to happen this summer comes from though. According to that, they do have the right to throttle.

3. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

well that sucks. why do it during summer? makes no sense. everyone will be on vaction and constantly trying to send/upload pictures and stuff.

4. Dession

The picture says, "will impact customers this s-" then it cuts off, it probably says Summer. Someone should have taken a better picture.

5. Dession

Yeah, totally sucks... Especially since I had planned on using the Hotspot feature as my main internet source at my apartment. I don't want to the speed to be handicapped. :-/

6. apexis

apexis Member

I just remembered throttling doesn't limit the amount you can intake, only how much in a given period if they decide to exercise the power. If this is in the ToS for the EVO, the only thing any of us can do about it is to gripe to Sprint's customer service. Hopefully this will cut through all the muck about the premium fee to show that it's for removing the data cap.

Speaking about the cap, is anyone here actually trying to press Sprint's buttons by seeing just how much data they can get in a month through Sprint?

edit for typos

7. ccrun1800

ccrun1800 Active Member

The real question is at what data point ( say 2 GB ) are they going to start slowing you down?

8. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Ahhh...good eyesight. I missed that 'S'.

I'll reserve judgement until I see if it affects 3G...that's all I've got. I think this is aimed at 4G...but we'll see.

Quite a few negative issues starting to pile up on Sprint this week.

9. apexis

apexis Member

Hopefully its to try and normalize any spikes during peak usage hours (e.g. people just getting off of work) and returns to being lax after that. Right now it's anybody's guess since it's all speculation.

10. Dession

I hope it's a high enough number that people using the Hotspot feature as their home internet don't get screwed.

Maybe if one has the Hotspot add-on they will be exempt from data throttling. Hmm...

11. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

throttling can be one of two things:

They can limit the amount allowed in a 24 hour period (like satellite internet providers do)
    They can limit the speed allowed

Sure hope this isn't the future of the internet

12. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

what? So the $10 premium data that has no cap will have a SPEED cap?

/confused

13. RJM77

RJM77 Member

so seriously, what is the $10 fee covering? This throttling and the 30fps issue yesterday... i'm hoping answers are given before my 30days are up.

14. teky

teky Well-Known Member

The best description of the $10 fee is that it is really a hardware charge to re-coup the subsidy they are paying on the handset...that's an additional $240 that should just about completely pay for the handset at wholesale prices. They can't call it that though...they are calling it a 'premium service fee'.

misterzeno likes this.
  15. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

If that were the case they would allow those buying at full retail to not have that "tax" (or fee if you wish to use that word haha).

ap3604 likes this.
  16. Wrxdrunkie

Wrxdrunkie Well-Known Member

I think they are already doing it, or maybe 4g speeds just suck when compared to CLEAR.

This actually really pisses me off. At least ATT was upfront and public about their changes. Good thing I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep this thing.

17. RJM77

RJM77 Member

if that $10 really has nothing to do with data caps or data speeds then the "subsidized" price of the phone is $440. That seems ridiculously expensive for what you get and when you compare it to other phones out there. I thought apple was known for their high prices, but compared to this the new iphone is cheap.

18. dmystic1

dmystic1 Well-Known Member

Ok, some of us payed the full price for the phone, so what are we paying the $10 for, if thats your theory?

19. dmystic1

dmystic1 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I posted after I read your post.

20. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Why would they do that? They get to pocket that money and those folks are paying full retail.

The reason I described it that way is that it's the only explanation that makes any sense....they have a hard time describing it themselves, but one thing is clear...it has nothing to do with network speeds.

I guess I've wandered off topic...it's just that the $10 fee has nothing to do with 4G or 'premium speeds'.

21. Dession

I really hope it's not too... I have a friend with satellite internet and that cap is so inconvenient. Sigh.

22. Dession

What 4G speeds are you getting? I've gotten up to 5mbps in Los Angeles, and 4G isn't supposed to be here yet.

23. teky

teky Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find the blog that posted it, but several people have posted chats with Sprint customer service asking exactly what the fee is for. They refuse to say it's for the network...they always start describing the phone's hardware features as a 'premium experience' that justifies the fee. Here's their official PR explaination. Notice how it's really just describing the features of the phone itself...

"The $10 per month Premium Data add-on gives the user a richer data experience on HTC EVO 4G than ever before at both 3G and 4G speeds, taking advantage of features including an 8MP auto-focus camera with HD-capable video camcorder and front-facing 1.3MP camera, superfast Snapdragon processor so navigation on the phone is quicker and apps load faster, 4.3” touchscreen for a great multimedia experience and 3G/4G capability. The combination of features and services on the HTC EVO 4G provide capabilities that were never previously available on a wireless device so customers will have a better experience and higher data usage on both the Sprint 3G Network and Sprint 4G Network."

24. Dession

25. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

eh if you think about it.. the new iphone is still just as expensive, considering if you try to match the $69.99 sprint plan, you'll be doing this:

-Nation 450: $39.99/mo
    -DataPro 2GB iPhone: $25.00/mo
    -Messaging Unlimited: $20.00/mo

With the Evo, you're doing this:
    -Everything Data 450 w/unlimited messaging and unlimited data, but with throttling (f*cking a...): $69.99/mo
    -That extra charge: $10.00/mo

About equal if you ask me. Except now you can't pass 2GB on ATT and we get throttled on Sprint.