• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint vs. T-Mobile

I want a Nexus One, and I've heard through the pipeline that there's a good chance it'll be on Sprint next month. Verizon is too expensive, so I need help deciding between Sprint and T-Mobile, but I've never used either.

I live in Boston, so info specifically around here would be extra good.

Can anyone help with comparisons in service and speed? Thanks!

I'm with T-Mobile and living in the Houston, TX area. I will be switching to Sprint for a couple of reasons.

1. Sprint offers better plans for less money.
2. I've heard that Sprint has better 3G coverage here in the Houston area then T-Mobile.

I'm already qualified to upgrade to a Nexus One in T-Mobile, but there is only one plan and offer less features compared to Sprint. If N1 or the SS comes to Sprint, I hope we will still have the freedom to choose our own plans with the same discounted price. Or else I'll just go with the Moment.

Now if T-Mobile will offer the same plan as Sprint with the same Nexus One Discounted price offer, i would definitely sign right now.

Upvote 0
I'm with T-Mobile and living in the Houston, TX area. I will be switching to Sprint for a couple of reasons.

2. I've heard that Sprint has better 3G coverage here in the Houston area then T-Mobile.

I'm already qualified to upgrade to a Nexus One in T-Mobile, but there is only one plan and offer less features compared to Sprint. If N1 or the SS comes to Sprint, I hope we will still have the freedom to choose our own plans with the same discounted price. Or else I'll just go with the Moment.

Now if T-Mobile will offer the same plan as Sprint with the same Nexus One Discounted price offer, i would definitely sign right now.
the last thing more then likely wont happen.. T-mobile has the unfortunate situation that they have to maintain they own network since they utilize a different 3g system then AT&T... Sprint on the other hand shares the maintance with Verizon (they utilize the exact same towers most of the time)... this has lead to the general roam agreement between sprint and verizon (why you can roam for free on verizon towers if you are a sprint customer) and why sprint can charge cheaper prices :) even with WiMAX they are splitting the costs with ClearWire and other smaller companies...

Upvote 0
Coverage where I am with T-Mobile is EDGE only despite the coverage map saying I should have good 3G coverage. It is quite a downer. I'll be switching to Sprint in May most likely, for that is when my ETF goes down to $100. The only phone I had that was on the Sprint network was my Virgin Mobile X-TC so no idea how well Sprint 3G is at my location, but coverage map says good EV-DO here. So, we shall see in a few months. T-Mobile is cheaper depending on how what benefits you want since there is only really a 10$/month difference (in my case).

Upvote 0
I have had Sprint twice (company paid plans) and T-Mobile once. I travel extensively, domestic and international, and Sprint is light years better than T-Mobile. Coverage in Boston is good with both and occassionally T-Mobile in Europe is better, but all in all Sprint is better. I love the data coverage, phone selection, and plans. Throw in the Moment, unlimited mobile to mobile, text, and data and I think Sprint is the best thing outthere. I could not be more pleased.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
If you did indeed go to Sprint - what is your opinion now? I'm no TMO thinking of trading in my HD2 for EVO.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile's Unlimited Everything plan is $79.99 per month. That's same price as it is to have an EVO or an EPIC on Sprint, and it includes Unlimited calls to landlines.

T-Mobile has a 4G network now called HSPA+. They claim that it maxes out at 21 Mbps down, but in reality it's comparable to Sprin't 4G speeds. And Sprint's WiMax isn't "true 4G" either anyway.

T-Mobile's network coverage footprint may be less than AT&T's (their GSM rival), but it's more reliable in areas where both carriers have coverage. T-Mobile can roam on AT&T network, but you'll be stuck with EDGE data speeds while doing so.

I still think Sprint + Verizon's roaming agreement makes for a better coverage footprint, and add in the fact that you still get 3G speeds while roaming. And while you don't get access to Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime calling while roaming, you can use those landline minutes that barely anyone nowadays uses instead of paying a hefty per-minute charge. And I believe Nights, Weekends, and Unlimited Sprint mobile-to-mobile calling are still in effect while roaming.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the extraordinary analysis. that is a great help. I've heard so many complain about Sprint but TMO hasn't been nearly as even of coverage (or speedy) as AT&T was.

I DO use the concurrent data/voice feature and since 4G seems to be very spotty, not sure if I'm willing to take that leap yet, but you made an excellent point that you are always still on 3G (where available even while roaming - a definite plus.

I may take sprint up on a 30 day money back plan to test and make my decision from there.

Thanks again very much.

T-Mobile's Unlimited Everything plan is $79.99 per month. That's same price as it is to have an EVO or an EPIC on Sprint, and it includes Unlimited calls to landlines.

T-Mobile has a 4G network now called HSPA+. They claim that it maxes out at 21 Mbps down, but in reality it's comparable to Sprin't 4G speeds. And Sprint's WiMax isn't "true 4G" either anyway.

T-Mobile's network coverage footprint may be less than AT&T's (their GSM rival), but it's more reliable in areas where both carriers have coverage. T-Mobile can roam on AT&T network, but you'll be stuck with EDGE data speeds while doing so.

I still think Sprint + Verizon's roaming agreement makes for a better coverage footprint, and add in the fact that you still get 3G speeds while roaming. And while you don't get access to Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime calling while roaming, you can use thos landline minutes that barely anyone nowadays uses instead of paying a hefty per-minute charge. And I believe Nights, Weekends, and Unlimited Sprint mobile-to-mobile calling are still in effect while roaming.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the extraordinary analysis. that is a great help. I've heard so many complain about Sprint but TMO hasn't been nearly as even of coverage (or speedy) as AT&T was.

I DO use the concurrent data/voice feature and since 4G seems to be very spotty, not sure if I'm willing to take that leap yet, but you made an excellent point that you are always still on 3G (where available even while roaming - a definite plus.

I may take sprint up on a 30 day money back plan to test and make my decision from there.

Thanks again very much.

I'd advise you to evaluate based on 3G coverage and your use. When it comes to coverage, I found that TMo had too many gaps. When it was there, it's been good but it's not always available.

Concurrent calls + data works fine on Sprint when you have reliable 4G signal. I don't do it often, but I was just in NYC and being able to talk on the line while looking up meeting and map information was pretty fast and convenient. I've done it on ATT GSM, and Sprint's 4G+3G combo was much faster than ATT's GSM.

One day I might try doing a walking tour using 4G for video feed and 3G via wired headphones for interactive voice conversation. I was thinking this might be kind of interesting for older relatives that I often talk to about NYC but who aren't mobile enough to ever travel to and see it in person.

If that's even possible and I can get around to doing it, Sprint and Evo would be more than worth what they charge by a factor of 100.

Upvote 0
I'd advise you to evaluate based on 3G coverage and your use. When it comes to coverage, I found that TMo had too many gaps. When it was there, it's been good but it's not always available.

Concurrent calls + data works fine on Sprint when you have reliable 4G signal. I don't do it often, but I was just in NYC and being able to talk on the line while looking up meeting and map information was pretty fast and convenient. I've done it on ATT GSM, and Sprint's 4G+3G combo was much faster than ATT's GSM.

One day I might try doing a walking tour using 4G for video feed and 3G via wired headphones for interactive voice conversation. I was thinking this might be kind of interesting for older relatives that I often talk to about NYC but who aren't mobile enough to ever travel to and see it in person.

If that's even possible and I can get around to doing it, Sprint and Evo would be more than worth what they charge by a factor of 100.

Sprint doesn't transmit voice over 3G, it does so over 1x-RTT.

Upvote 0
My AT&T contract ends 12/20/2010. AM thinking of moving on with our familyplan of three phones. Want to get myself and Android phone and my wife and kid want texting phones (no real interest in smart phones).

Sprint has the new Optimus S which is my #1 choice as the EVO is too expensive and the Optimus outperforms the Samsung Transform.

T-mobile has better choices in the Moto Defy, G2 and Mytouch which are cheaper than the EVO.

I live in a T-mobile 4G zone as well. Any thoughts on why I should choose Sprint?

Verizon would be great if they did not cost more than staying with AT&T!

Upvote 0
Id go Sprint for the better/larger 3G coverage. You may be fine where you are, but when out and about, traveling or whatever, you'll run into some data coverage issues with T-Mobile. Sprints prices are pretty close to T-Mobiles, maybe a few bucks more, but you're also getting alot of unlimited and extras included. Also, Ive heard lots of good things about that Optimus S you are interested in at androidcentral.com. Give Sprint a try, they have a great 30 day cancellation policy if you're not happy.. you will pay nothing if you leave, no restocking fees. They wont even charge you for the data/minutes you have used! But, I bet you will be more than satisfied.

PS. Sprint has tons of discounts available depending on where you work, if you bank at a credit union, are AAA member, etc. I get 25% off my bill for working part time at Home Depot. :) Check: http://androidforums.com/sprint/81670-do-i-qualify-discount.html

Upvote 0
My credit union offers a 10% discount. Can I use that discount with Wirefly or Amazon?

The discounts are not on the purchase of the phone/device, the discounts are applied to your monthly phone bill. So you will get that discount EVERY month. Call Sprint at any time and let them know after you have started your line of service.

Upvote 0
<P>
I'm with T-Mobile and living in the Houston, TX area. I will be switching to Sprint for a couple of reasons. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>1. Sprint offers better plans for less money.</P>
<P>2. I've heard that Sprint has better 3G coverage here in the Houston area then T-Mobile.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I'm already qualified to upgrade to a Nexus One in T-Mobile, but there is only one plan and offer less features compared to Sprint. If N1 or the SS comes to Sprint, I hope we will still have the freedom to choose our own plans with the same discounted price. Or else I'll just go with the Moment. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Now if T-Mobile will offer the same plan as Sprint with the same Nexus One Discounted price offer, i would definitely sign right now.
</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>

Upvote 0
I thought switching to Sprint from T-Mobile (after 4 years) would be a good idea. For some strange reason I felt that Sprint was the better network since they have been around longer. BOY, was I WRONG. I have their newest device (the Samsung Replenish). I absolutely love the phone but I can't 3G!! Who can't 3G these days.....are you serious?? When I called Sprint customer care, they told me that 3G capability is phone specific!!! EXCUSE ME???? Not with T-Mobile. Everyone phone had the capability with T-Mobile. Customer service is horrible. I hate the day I entered into a relationship with Sprint.

Upvote 0
I thought switching to Sprint from T-Mobile (after 4 years) would be a good idea. For some strange reason I felt that Sprint was the better network since they have been around longer. BOY, was I WRONG. I have their newest device (the Samsung Replenish). I absolutely love the phone but I can't 3G!! Who can't 3G these days.....are you serious?? When I called Sprint customer care, they told me that 3G capability is phone specific!!! EXCUSE ME???? Not with T-Mobile. Everyone phone had the capability with T-Mobile. Customer service is horrible. I hate the day I entered into a relationship with Sprint.

wow.. cant believe it either... no 3G!!!.. that just sucks.
Samsung Replenish (Sprint) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

but... why would you purchase a phone that you did not research?

also...you got 30 days to change to a different phone.

Upvote 0

It is 3G capable. Says it loud and clear on the Sprint website. Does the phone show a 3G symbol or a Ev symbol for data? Ev = EVDO Rev A = 3G. Please research before coming into a forum and bashing a carrier because you think you don't have a 3G capable phone when you clearly do.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...&flow=AAL&planSKUId=null&tabId=dt_phones&ptn=

Upvote 0
I switched from T-Mobile with one main reason as my guiding factor: true unlimited data. T-Mobile's 5 gig throttle was killing me. And since I stream audio pretty much all day at work, I was getting kicked back about half-way through the billing cycle.

A few improvements I've noticed so far:
1. Apps like MLB AtBat11 audio actually play clearly without the pops that I was getting with T-Mobile (or was it the MyTouch 4G? - don't know for sure) - and that's driving around SoCal from Orange County to San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
2. No data lag and no extra costs!!
3. The HTC 3D isn't all that great once you get past the novelty of the 3D and I'm hoping the Epic Touch (hilarious) comes out soon so I can get it before my 30 days is up.
4. Their customer service so far has been good

Granted I've only been with them for a few weeks now, and may just be enamored with not getting data lagged, but I'm pretty happy about the switch - and with the AT&T merger I was reluctant to keep T-Mobile anyways.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones