• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprints wonderful chat support...

effextc

Sep 22, 2009
I figured you guys might get a kick out of this. I went to the Sprint site to start looking at plans and phones so I could get my wife on something until the Hero comes out. Against my better judgement I decided to use the chat feature to see how I could arrange my contract so my wife starts her line first, and then I add the Hero when it comes out. Well, here's how it went:

Your chat transcript:

This is an automated email. Please do not respond to this email address as it does not accept incoming email.

Agent: Thank you for visiting Sprint. What questions can I answer for you today?
You: HI Jessica. I have a few questions about starting a new account and what not.
Agent: Hello,Sure, I can certainly help you with the new information.
Agent: Let's move this chat to the bottom of the window. It will be out of the way and I can stay with you in case you have any questions or any concerns. Just click on the "Yes" button below and we can continue.
Agent: Simply click on the white "Yes" button below and we can continue.
Agent: Thanks. Just to check, are you a current Sprint customer?
You: Nope.
You: Not yet.
Agent: Okay.
You: I'
Agent: You will need to take the phone and plan at 2 year contract.
You: I understand that part.
Agent: Are you looking to buy new phone with new plan?
You: I'll be opening a new account that will become a family account.
You: I am.
Agent: Okay.
You: I'm interested in the HTC Hero but I'll have to get another phone prior to that as well.
You: So, I'm curious how I go about doing that.
Agent: HTC Hero is not available at this time.
You: Right. But it will be available Oct 11th correct?
Agent: Please select the Phone "Buy with new plan".
Agent: Sorry, i don't have sprint future release information.
You: Sprint | Coming soon. Only from Sprint. The HTC Hero? with Google.
You: That's the Sprint site listing the HTC Hero release information.
Agent: One moment please.
Agent: Please select the Phone and sorry i don't commit on the HTC Hero information.
Agent: Is everything OK?
You: I apologize for wasting your time. I'll just call the Sprint Customer Service department tomorrow and reference this conversation. Seeing as how the information has been released to the public by Sprint and phones are now available for pre-order through BestBuy, I feel that I'll receive better assistance from a more knowledgeble source.
Agent: Sorry, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that is faced by you.
Agent: This phone is not available at this time.
Agent: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Agent: For additional Sprint information, device ratings and reviews, please visit Community.Sprint.com. Thank you for visiting Sprint.com. Have a great day.

Crazy 'eh? It wasn't like I was trying to get the Hero... I was just trying to plan how to get it and make it all work. Oh well, I'll just call and talk to someone who knows what they're talking about.

I've dealt with the e-chat a few times as a Sprint customer for the last few years. The last time I used it I actually had Jessica as well (assuming it isn't a canned name). They're usually fairly knowledgable but you have to understand that 95% of their answers are scripted responses that they look up in the manual. They don't want to give you any info that you might misconstrue into something that will get them in trouble. It seems they live for that positive survey result.

I've learned that unless it's something really basic, it's best to just call the retentions department.

Upvote 0
My favorite line... "Sorry, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that is faced by you." :p

In general I like companies that have the online chat things... typically I find that they are good alternatives to speaking to someone on the phone - especially since it is harder to get hassled and easier to get out of the conversation if needed. It's nice for technical questions though.

Too bad their online reps seems to be 'not of the USA'. There's the disconnect.

Upvote 0
On that note, ChrisPlague, I have the same question. How do I go about getting my plan set up, switching over, and still only paying $180 for the Hero in October? I get a discount with Sprint because of my job and would love to start saving money now.

Do you currently have sprint? if not you will get the 180 price when you activate and we can add the company discount when you activate and if you plan on porting a number over remember to bring your account number in with you.

Upvote 0
Now realizing I hijacked this thread. Anyway, sorry about that, but no I don't have Sprint. I'm using a Blackberry on US Cellular. Is there anyway to switch now, use another phone and come back Oct. 11th to get the Hero?

do you have your own sprint phone? if not youd be getting a phone to use til it comes out and you would end up getting a $35 restocking fee. prolly better off to just wait 2 weeks

Upvote 0
@MrMattux: Don't worry about the hijack... it actually made me think of a great idea so thanks for the questions you added!

@ChrisPlague: So if I bring in a Sprint phone, have them add an additional line to my current Sprint account (my wife's phone is the only line on there) and make it a Family Plan... on Oct 11th, I can go in, pick up my Hero at the $180 price and have them swap the number to it?

By me opening up the additonal line, it doesn't wave my ability to get the Hero at the subsidised price?

Upvote 0
@MrMattux: Don't worry about the hijack... it actually made me think of a great idea so thanks for the questions you added!

@ChrisPlague: So if I bring in a Sprint phone, have them add an additional line to my current Sprint account (my wife's phone is the only line on there) and make it a Family Plan... on Oct 11th, I can go in, pick up my Hero at the $180 price and have them swap the number to it?

By me opening up the additonal line, it doesn't wave my ability to get the Hero at the subsidised price?

yeah thats right, new lines of service get the same discount as those available for a full discount.

keep in mind 100 of that is a mail in rebate.

Upvote 0
yeah thats right, new lines of service get the same discount as those available for a full discount.

keep in mind 100 of that is a mail in rebate.

That makes sense. So I'm not wasting my subsidizing ability on a phone that I didn't even buy.

And about the $100 part... I pre ordered through Best Buy and if I understand what I've heard so far, Best Buy takes care of all the rebates up front.

Upvote 0
That makes sense. So I'm not wasting my subsidizing ability on a phone that I didn't even buy.

And about the $100 part... I pre ordered through Best Buy and if I understand what I've heard so far, Best Buy takes care of all the rebates up front.

thats what i hear...

id recommend dbl checking your account online afterwards.

my favorite part is they send their customer to us to teach you how to use the phone and transfer the contacts and sometimes to do the port.

Upvote 0
For the record Jessica is a canned name. Every time I use the chat feature no matter the time of day I always speak to Jessica.

Also be careful bringing your own phone, make sure you get in writing that you can purchase another phone at the 2 year contract price or you'll be stuck with the phone you brought with you for 2 years. Happened to a friend recently who came over for the Tour and the great prices. I gave him an old Curve, when he went to buy the Tour they quoted him full price and wouldn't budge.

Upvote 0
Also be careful bringing your own phone, make sure you get in writing that you can purchase another phone at the 2 year contract price or you'll be stuck with the phone you brought with you for 2 years. Happened to a friend recently who came over for the Tour and the great prices. I gave him an old Curve, when he went to buy the Tour they quoted him full price and wouldn't budge.

Sounds like when he came over, he signed a 2 year contract, even though he didnt get a subsidized phone and when he tried to get the Tour he was still under contract.

While I can say that if this was the case, Sprint should have explained this to him (and maybe they did and he wasnt listening?) at the time he signed up, your friend should have also inquired about switching to the Tour later.

Upvote 0
While I can say that if this was the case, Sprint should have explained this to him (and maybe they did and he wasnt listening?) at the time he signed up, your friend should have also inquired about switching to the Tour later.

I was there with him and he explicitly stated he wasn't going to lock himself into a contract until the Tour was available. The CSR in the store explained it all back to him, there was no mention of a 2 year contract. When he went to purchase the Tour he found out the CSR in the store did in fact lock him in to a 2 year contract.

It took some work on his part and after a few calls he came into contact with a CSM (manager) who understood what he was saying, wanted and was able to see that the phone active on his line wasn't a phone purchased at the start of his service.

I'm not a Sprint hater, in fact I've been a customer for over 10 years, regularly talk my VZ & AT$T friends off the ledge and into Sprint. With any company it only takes one rogue employee to put a bad taste in your mouth. I think that's what happened in this case.

Upvote 0
It took some work on his part and after a few calls he came into contact with a CSM (manager) who understood what he was saying, wanted and was able to see that the phone active on his line wasn't a phone purchased at the start of his service.

I'm not a Sprint hater, in fact I've been a customer for over 10 years, regularly talk my VZ & AT$T friends off the ledge and into Sprint. With any company it only takes one rogue employee to put a bad taste in your mouth. I think that's what happened in this case.

Sometimes CS is hit or miss, but you get some of that with everyone. Im not even just talking about wireless either.

Sounds like your friend managed to get the situation worked out. Usually once you find someone that understands your issue AND can actually do something about it, resolutions arent far behind. I'd have to agree with you that one bad rep can turn you off to the whole company. Lord knows they have tried my patience once or twice. One the flip side to that, Ive had some Sprint reps that have also gone out of their way as well.

Upvote 0
Sometimes CS is hit or miss, but you get some of that with everyone. Im not even just talking about wireless either.

Sounds like your friend managed to get the situation worked out. Usually once you find someone that understands your issue AND can actually do something about it, resolutions arent far behind. I'd have to agree with you that one bad rep can turn you off to the whole company. Lord knows they have tried my patience once or twice. One the flip side to that, Ive had some Sprint reps that have also gone out of their way as well.

I can't complain. Sprint has been good to me and any time they've made a mistake it's been in my favor. For instance they never took the $150 upgrade off my account, that's how I'm getting my Hero at upgrade pricing.

Upvote 0
I'm definitely not letting this online CS interaction affect my opinion on Sprint. I just thought it was a bit humorous.

I've had simliar problems with AT&T's online CS chat rep. Calling seems to work best. My experience with the online CS reps is that they're not really CS reps, but more like sales people. Anything that could possibly be construed as an "advanced" question/problem should be phoned in.

In regards to the "One bad rep" thing... I just went through a similar problem with AT&T when I was transferring my account. I called three times, and spoke with three different people. I simply asked if I had to pay an fees (ETF) for transferring the accounts and if the receiving party would be on a month to month basis. 2 of the three said yes to both questions. The 3rd said that they would be put on an 11 month contract and that I would face an ETF for the iPhone since the iPhone was "special".

I transferred the account anyways and the party that received the accounts said the rep told them both lines are month to month and when I called to verify the accounts were no longer in my name and if I owed an ETF, the said "Nope!".

Upvote 0
thats exactly what i would say, build a relationship with a rep in a store close to you and deal with them for all your needs, believe it or not we remember you good or bad.

Ha, In that case, I better go back to the Sprint store and bother them some more about the Hero.

Think they will remember me? I was there just before the announcement of the Hero asking about android devices. Which got me no where, but it was worth a shot. And just after, asking if they would be doing pre-orders, but they wont be.

Upvote 0
Ha, In that case, I better go back to the Sprint store and bother them some more about the Hero.

Think they will remember me? I was there just before the announcement of the Hero asking about android devices. Which got me no where, but it was worth a shot. And just after, asking if they would be doing pre-orders, but they wont be.
it really depends ont he person whether they will remember you i would remember you.

they wont ( well shouldnt) give you any info on it other than the release date and pricing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones