Squeezing the most out of your batterySupport

Last Updated:

1. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so I'm about to go on a trip this weekend to DC. I'm contemplating buying a second battery, but honestly, besides this trip; I'll never need it again. So... I'm hoping for a little advice.

I'm going to be going by bus. I'm going to confirm this tomorrow, but the website says that "many" of their buses have electrical outlets. I'm hoping, and for now going to assume, that my bus will have this amenity.

Once I'm in DC I'm looking at about 12 hours for which I would like to have my phone working. We all know the camera stops working once you hit 15%, so that's a problem (note; yes I do have Camera 360 which I think has been proven to work, but I like/need the functions of the stock camera (ie panoramic etc).

So, I don't necessarily mind resetting my phone to get all my crap for this trip, but even if I do, does anyone have any tricks to extending the life of my battery? I'd hate to have to keep turning it off as the reboot time is fairly slow and I may miss some great shots. Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity though, I will be bringing along a standalone camera. But I'd like to take most of the shots with my phone. I think that I'll be abusing the shit out of the panoramic mode mostly =P

Also I want to be able to upload pictures to my flickr regularly, and check facebook and some sites as you'd expect.

Should I turn off 3g until I want to upload pictures? This is the sort of advice I'm looking for. I'm sorry if this is a ton of question for such a commonly asked question, but I'm not looking for a way to cut down battery use on a regular basis. I'm looking for a way to extend my battery in an extreme case.

I mean, I have questions like "if I walk for an hour with my phone in my pocket in standby, does it spend more battery life than shutting it off, walking around, and then rebooting it, even if all services are turned off?

I appreciate so much any help anyone can provide and I'm sorry if I'm wasting anyone's time. And to anyone who's interested, I'll be uploading to my Flickr a combination of movies and pictures from the Restore Sanity/Fear rally, as well as my visit to DC in general to Flickr.com/Jofaba

- all love, Jofaba (Joshua Frank Bartalomy)

Advertisement
  2. Jofaba

I called AT&T today and they were out but made it seem like they get deliveries every day. They said their batteries were about $40. Anyone be interested if I can buy a second battery locally that they'd buy it from me after this trip for like $30? That'd make getting a second battery pretty much a no-brainer for me. Or, alternatively, do you think a short-used battery would sell on ebay?

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

4. Jofaba

damn, that Zagg looks pretty nice. 4 charges? Does it really do that? I spent half that on an oem battery today from Wirefly. Haggled and got them to next day it to me for a total of just under $50. Thanks for the links, maybe I'll sell this off once I come back and get one of those external systems. Thanks =)

5. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

...and I have the New Trent IMP880, also listed at http://capfaq.com/w/Accessories.

The item is a powerhouse and, although a bit larger than I'd like, packs multiple, full charges before needing a re-charge itself. The micro USB cable setup that's included is too short for my liking, so I replaced it with a much longer Nokia CA-101 cable that was lying around. This allows the charger to sit in my pocket or on a desk during calls while it's connected to the phone

If you'd rather spend a little less (and get a little less) the company sells other versions.

Highly recommended.

6. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

7. rainmanram

rainmanram Member

Check ebay. There is a guy from hong kong selling 2 batteries and charger for $10 delivered. I bought them and they are fine.