SSH Tunnel/Snow LeopardGeneral

Last Updated:

1. MrBalltionary

MrBalltionary Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried setting up an SSH tunnel via ConnectBot with my MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard and can't get it to connect.

I've tried System Preferences > Sharing > Checking 'Remote Login' > trying to connect to ssh (computername)@(IP address) and it's not working.

The whole reason i want to do this is to be able to connect to my laptop through VNC via my Eris. I've done this before and it worked fine when I just opened port 5900 and set up a No-IP server to connect to my IP address, but had to shut it right back down after a day or so after someone must have port scanned (perhaps with imap) and saw my opened port with a password on it, and cracked said password seemingly very easily. (I know, because my mouse started moving on its own, browsers opened on their own. It was clear the person had full access of my screen, keyboard, mouse.)

SO, that's why I want to set up an SSH tunnel, to avoid any security breaches like this again. Anyone have any ideas how to do so?

Advertisement
  2. MrBalltionary

anyone?

3. MrBalltionary

last bump and then i'll let it die.

4. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

There's a lot of different ways you could be running into trouble, not the least of which is firewall issues (on the Mac).

It's nice to have a second computer to do the testing, or at least set up your Mac with Wireshark/tcpdump so that you can at least verify that the inbound traffic is actually connecting on the correct ports on the Mac (rather than just silently getting dropped).

Even without getting a full ssh connection, a telnet session from another machine (or the Eris, if you can find a telnet client) will tell you if it is able to negotiate a TCP connection with the remote machine.
    That tells you you have routing and firewall issues put to bed, before you start debugging SSH configurations.

After you have done that, you should look into port forwarding using SSH.

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of ConnectBot. I've done SSH and GRE tunneling, including multi-hop tunneling (to get around routing quirks) though, and what you want to do should be feasible. At the moment though, it sounds like you need to look at the details a little more carefully. "It doesn't work" might certainly be correct, but it's not very descriptive in terms of symptoms.

Isn't operating a real computer via the Eris with VNC a bit like trying to watch a wide screen movie by looking through a soda straw? Just curious - I've used VNC over SSH before, but I wouldn't want to do it from a 3 inch touch screen.

eu1