St. Louis 4G

1. beano52

beano52 Well-Known Member

Yesterday afternoon, I heard a radio advertisement for Sprint 4G. This was a St. Louis station (106.5 to be exact). The ad promeoted the faster 4g service, sharing the wifi with up to 8 people and stated that 4g was coming to St. Louis soon.

I've heard it rummored that 4G was available now in St. Louis and under testing.

I need to make a quick trip north to see if I get any 4G signal soon!

Advertisement
    :
  2. farrellcollie

farrellcollie Well-Known Member

I get spotty 4G at my home in South St. Louis, but 4g is pretty strong at work at Saint Louis University.
  3. emac

emac Well-Known Member

I'm a grad student at SLU, I spend quite a bit of time there. :D I haven't tried 4G there yet, but at my home in the Southwest Garden, I get spotty 4G as well. Sometimes it's better than others. I'm sure it'll get better as more towers go up.
  4. farrellcollie

I am in my office right now on 4g (I go between 4 and 5 bars for 4g) listening to I heart radio.
  5. Doomstang

Doomstang Well-Known Member

I live in St Louis (but am currently in Florida on vacation) and have gotten spotty 4g coverage...it all depends where you are at since they are still rolling out towers. Also, when it says you are on 4g it has bars that are like an arc (similar to wifi) so I don't think its possible to get 4 or 5 bars of 4g since I think the 'full' is just 3 arcs. The normal bars are your regular cell phone reception.
  6. Stepintothedark

Stepintothedark Well-Known Member

I had 4g, at the airport, and in St Charles, I live in SoCo, it's not here right now, but but everything I've heard, mid july it should be St Louis wide...
  7. dwd3885

dwd3885 Well-Known Member

Hey not to steal your thread but since we have all these people in STL in this post, can I ask a question?

Which network is best here? I've been with ATT but the dropped calls is terrible for me here. Testing out the EVO right now and for the past two weeks with Sprint I haven't had dropped calls. What about Verizon and T-Mobile?
  8. zpilot

zpilot Well-Known Member

Verizon = Sprint > Tmobile > AT&T

I just switched from from Verizon but have used TMO before as well. No dropped calls on either carrier. My friend's iPhones on AT&T suffer from poor 3g coverage and dropped calls. You can't go wrong with Verizon imo. I also live in the SoCo area (right across from Point Elementary school) and don't have 4G yet but Sprint's 3G is faster than Verizon's 3G when I had the BB Storm.
  9. zpilot

zpilot Well-Known Member

I'm afraid 4G will still be spotty after STL wide unfortunately.
  10. Stepintothedark

There's only one spot in STL that I travel consistently, that I can pretty much guarantee either a dropped call, or very spotty service, 55 south right past arsenal, right by the broadway entrance to the highway, short of that I get pretty damn good service around the city...
  11. Stepintothedark

I think the city and MOST of the county will probably be ok, but once you get out in areas like fenton or well past eureka, and probably the east side... will be spotty at first...
  12. Cache22

Cache22 Well-Known Member

Ran this from work, near I-44 and Shrewsbury:

[​IMG]

I seem to get better download speeds with speedtest.net web page (using Dolphin HD browser) than I get with the speedtest app, although higher latencies.

I did couple 4G tests yesterday ... West on I-44 from Elm to 270 didn't pick up any 4G, but got a decent signal on I-44 near Bowles:

[​IMG]

Then on I-44 near 141, signal getting weak:

[​IMG]

After that (West past 141) lost the 4G signal completely, as was expected.
  13. jmeitz

jmeitz New Member

I am hoping they bring 4g out to Eureka area. i can get it at work down by union station. Nothing real strong but 1 bar.
  14. farrellcollie

Perhaps - just reporting what I saw on the phone. While at slu and on 4g I had no problems with Iheartradio or slacker. At my house by Tower Grove Park they both spend more time buffering.
  15. zpilot

zpilot Well-Known Member

Both iheartradio and slacker should run fine on just 3g btw.
  16. Stepintothedark

yeah I was at South County Hooters last night, and just for giggles turned the 4g on and it had 2 bars, I live 10 minutes south, and just now turned it on, and nothing :(
  17. Pdub

Pdub Member

I live in the st. louis area and just noticed today that I'm now getting a weak 4G signal in Ballwin, MO (fluctuates between 1 and 2 bars).

[​IMG]
  18. farrellcollie

They probably do - but not at my house where reception may be iffy anyway. They did do great on 4g which was my real point.
  19. matpal

matpal Member

I'm in Lake St. Louis and have not seen any signal as of yet.
  20. mpbond

mpbond Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you but every carrier dies out right there, just south of the brewery. My EVO, my TMobile Iphone, my friends ATT Iphone, and another friends incredible. Must be too much alcohol in the air.
  21. mpbond

mpbond Well-Known Member

Today on my way in to work, I had 4g signal all of the way up 30 from Old Sugar Creek to 270. Most of the time it was full bars too. I could see towers and for some reason I didn't notice them yesterday. The overlap seemed good because it would get down to 1 bar and then climb again, never lost signal.

Maybe I will have 4G in High Ridge.
  22. onehitter

onehitter Member

I just got an email from a local computer repair and sales shop in west county. They were asking me to pre-order order clear 4g. And the release date was July 28th. I assume it will be official by then.
  23. zpilot

zpilot Well-Known Member

Did a speedtest over @ South Grand Blvd where King & I (thai restaurant), Wei Hong (chinese restaurant) and The Vine Mediterranean restaurant are located. I got 6mbps dl rate over there.
  24. sr1982

sr1982 Well-Known Member

I picked up a 4g signal in Chesterfield the other day, but when I went to use the internet it switched over to 3g. Was hoping to have my first 4g test.....
  25. beechler7dk

beechler7dk Member

On 70, I've gotten 4G all the way out to just between Foristell and Wentzeville - AWESOME!

Also, very strong signals along I-70 throughout St. Charles county, and up 270 towards Flo-town, Hazelwood, etc....