• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crangirl

Lurker
Mar 29, 2013
I hope someone can help me..
I thought I was smart to buy a AMlogic stick.. (hardware encoding)..
but I can't get XBMC/video to play right..

Which firmware should I use /or which XBMC for the ST-M3... (stick)? (Looks the same as the smart tv stick, not 100% sure).
I' ve been trying for a very long time.. but 720p doesn't play ok (even form USB with MX player.. mediaplayer is better.. but how to use XBMC??..).

Also:
-doesn't see LAN /ethernet.. (adapter is blinking though), so have to use slow wifi.
-Multiple XBMC installs get black screen (have to remove USB: hub/remote dongle/LAN, for it to work..)

I can't really play anything right now.. not how it's supposed to look
(without lagging etc). I thought this chipset could handle hardware decoding?

And I can use reboot recovery (app).. but which firmware..?? Or upgrade..
(or is there a version of XBMC that works?).
I don't want to brick it.. (really not techinal.. so don't want to open it).

Can I use "Stane's firmware" or is there a change it will brick?
Any version of XBMC that works ok without different firmware? It should right?... (confused)

And how do I create a recovery sd (micro), with ubuntu 12.04?
Will this work if something goes wrong?

Thanks..

I hope someone can help me..
I thought I was smart to buy a AMlogic stick.. (hardware encoding)..
but I can't get XBMC/video to play right..

Which firmware should I use /or which XBMC for the ST-M3... (stick)? (Looks the same as the smart tv stick, not 100% sure).
I' ve been trying for a very long time.. but 720p doesn't play ok (even form USB with MX player.. mediaplayer is better.. but how to use XBMC??..).

Also:
-doesn't see LAN /ethernet.. (adapter is blinking though), so have to use slow wifi.
-Multiple XBMC installs get black screen (have to remove USB: hub/remote dongle/LAN, for it to work..)

I can't really play anything right now.. not how it's supposed to look
(without lagging etc). I thought this chipset could handle hardware decoding?

And I can use reboot recovery (app).. but which firmware..?? Or upgrade..
(or is there a version of XBMC that works?).
I don't want to brick it.. (really not techinal.. so don't want to open it).

Can I use "Stane's firmware" or is there a change it will brick?
Any version of XBMC that works ok without different firmware? It should right?... (confused)

And how do I create a recovery sd (micro), with ubuntu 12.04?
Will this work if something goes wrong?

Thanks..

Which XBMC you used? Basically all XBMC for Amlogic platform should work... Pivos, visson....

I suggest to contact your supplier regarding new fw version etc. Not working eth could be hw and sw issue.

I did little googling but didnt find anything useful for your device....

Upvote 0
Thank you for your answer..

that's the weird thing, I've tried multiple versions..
(official/pivos/nightly/with so called usb support/older pivos version which should work..etc).

Even with a usb stick 720p doesn't play ok with MXplayer.. original player is better.. but ok.. which XBMC version to use.....?

I've read that some people have use a build that you made (or how do you call it)..
but I don't know if my stick is exactly the same.. (smart tv stick (with different remote) or A22 or my ST-M3??) and I'm afraid to brick it.. (My supplyer is just someone who bought it and resold it (new) to me.. ) :

Smart TV Stick - J1nx .:Hackable Gadgets:.

In the reviews section they talk about different firmware builds, including yours.. and my stick looks the same.. but I don't know if it is...or isn't. (And it doesn't have a flash button..).

Or maybe I should just leave the firmware and find a different XBMC, don't know which one..

About the ethernet.. It came with an adapter (usb) and the 'leaflet' it came with, shows that you can select ethernet in the settings... but it's not there!

Upvote 0
The firmware is the issue, I guess:

Android 4.0.4
Kernel version 2.6.34
F16ref MXB referenceboard
Build number ICS.MBX.20121031

ICS 4.0.4 is fine for m3 board (f16ref), but firmware is pretty old.... Dated 2012-10-31... Latest aml soruces for m3 MBX boards dates Jan 31st 2013... so finding newer firmware would be good start :)

Also, all m3 based boards have 2.6.34 kernel, 3.x kernel is reserved for dual-core platforms (MX).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones