• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Standalone GPS

droidx2010

Jul 20, 2010
Background - I have a refurbished warranty replacement DX that came preloaded with 596.

The standalone GPS isn't working on this phone. If I turn off Google/VZW location services and leave it on standalone only, it won't locate me on Maps. Also, since standalone isn't working, Navigation isn't working which is a must have.

My question - is there anything at all software related I can do, or am I correct in assuming this is 100% a hardware issue and I'm going to have to take it back to VZW for another one?

Another dumb question...why are you turning off Google location services? I have both Google location services and Standalone GPS checked and if you have them both checked, Google Maps and Nav work just fine.

I noticed the problem when I began trying to navigate. I usually have all 3 checked at all times, so I hadn't noticed a difference until I tried to navigate for the first time with my new refurb. Since it hung up on the "Searching for GPS" screen for navigation, I began investigating. First thing I did was open Maps and see if it could pinpoint my location, which it did. Then I installed GPS Test to see what it showed me. In GPS Test, it was showing that I had 0 satellites in view and 0 satellites in use, which is not normal. Then I turned off VZW/Google location services (which use cell tower signal to determine location) to see if Maps could locate me using the standalone GPS only (which uses the GPS receiver and satellites). It couldn't, which means something is wrong with the GPS part of the phone.

My question is, is this most likely a hardware issue, or is there something I can try to troubleshoot on the phone to fix this situation?

Upvote 0
If you installed and ran GPS Test and it showed 0 for both satellites in view and satellites in use then it definitely sounds like you have a defective phone and your GPS unit isn't working. When you run GPS Test, does it show GPS on or off in the upper lefthand GPS status box? When I check standalone GPS only in the location settings, I'm currently getting 8 in view and 8 in use, while sitting at my desk inside my house. Sounds like you need to return it for another refurb.

Reactions: droidx2010
Upvote 0
If you installed and ran GPS Test and it showed 0 for both satellites in view and satellites in use then it definitely sounds like you have a defective phone and your GPS unit isn't working. When you run GPS Test, does it show GPS on or off in the upper lefthand GPS status box? When I check standalone GPS only in the location settings, I'm currently getting 8 in view and 8 in use, while sitting at my desk inside my house. Sounds like you need to return it for another refurb.

Yeah, GPS is On wen I run GPS Test. I figured I needed to take it in, just wanted to avoid it if I could since I just got this one set up how I like it and put my last Steinheil on it!!!

Upvote 0
Bummer. As info, I used the Steinheil Ultra Crystal for the about the first 8 months that I had my DX. I experimented with a suggestion on another forum about using RainX on your screen to reduce fingerprints, so removed my screen protector and applied the RainX. I haven't seen all that much benefit from the RainX, but since then I've been using a naked screen. It's been about 2 or 3 months now without any screen protector and so far, the Gorilla Glass seems to be doing just fine without any protector, no scratches at all. I'm just careful if I do put it in my pocket not to have anything else (key, coins, etc) in that same pocket. I do use an Incipio Silicrylic case on my phone at all times though.

Upvote 0
Guys

My gps works when I have all 3 in the settings turned on but it takes over 90 seconds stuck at 'searching for gps' and then routes me correctly and stays on fine. With my previous refurbished phone (also on gingerbread), the gps would resolve under 30 seconds. Wonder what's the problem

Thanks

Upvote 0
I haven't had this problem on my DX. My GPS locks on almost immediately after I set it and open Nav. Found this thread on droidxforums.com though that may provide you with some possible fixes. Good luck!

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/27837-navigation-gps-problems.html

Guys

My gps works when I have all 3 in the settings turned on but it takes over 90 seconds stuck at 'searching for gps' and then routes me correctly and stays on fine. With my previous refurbished phone (also on gingerbread), the gps would resolve under 30 seconds. Wonder what's the problem

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones