• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

standard mini-usb for Eris charging

This is a little off topic, but close. Does anyone know if I can use the generic car charger that has a mini-usb connection with my ERIS. It was purchased for use with my Motorola Krzr.

When my wife and I bought our Erie (Erises?) the salesman told us it would be OK to use the Motorola charger (that was my wife's previous phone), though he suggested that it be used for relatively short periods of time (2 or 3 hours, assuming your Eris battery was nearly discharged). He knew it would charge the phone OK, he wasn't SURE that the charger would shut off after full charge, and was concerned about overcharging.

So use it, but pay attention to the state of charge.

Upvote 0
Ah, but here's the question: the wall charger that comes with the eris is rated 5vdc output. Is the car charger outputting 5v or 12v? If 12v, is that a problem? Need a little input on output, so to speak...

To be allowed to use the USB format, they have to meet the USB standards, i.e. 5V. As long as you get the device from a reputable or semi reputable source (not some guy building power adapters in his garage) then it should meet the USB standard

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if car chargers pump as much amperage as the wall charger into the phone? The phone seems to charge slower via car charger vs. AC, and it'd be nice if there was a car charger out there that rapid-charged.

For reference, the HTC wall charger outputs 5V at 1A.*

USB 2.0 supports up to 900 mA while transferring data, or 1.5A when not, so I wonder what gives.

* = so theoretically, with the Eris having a 1300 mAh battery, it should take 1.3 hours to fully charge a bone dry battery.

Edit:
current.jpg

That's what my computer is reporting for my phone while it's charging, without SD card mounted.
256 mA is crap compared to the wall charger, ~5 hrs to fully charge if that's what it's drawing constantly, ~2.6h if it draws the full 500 mA it can.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if car chargers pump as much amperage as the wall charger into the phone? The phone seems to charge slower via car charger vs. AC, and it'd be nice if there was a car charger out there that rapid-charged.

The short answer is no. You have to consider the power source.

From a wall charger, your original power source is the wall. For the most part, all the power you could ever want (considering this specific application).

On a car charger, you getting power from a limited, closed loop system.

If you overtax your wall charger, you trip a breaker in your home, that circuit loses power, life goes on. On a car charger, the manufacturer, for safety reasons, has to consider the potential of overdrawing on a system which, should it suddenly shut down, could be potentially dangerous (accidents, fire, etc)

So, basic electrical theory, and safety, prevent a car charger from providing as much power as a wall charger.

My blackberry charger seems to work but intermittently it stops charging my Eris.

Very odd.

Just guessing, but it could be the charger itself. Some chargers have little "brains" built in that monitor that state of the battery they are intended to charge. It is possible that your Blackberry charger is one of these. it sees what is considered a full charge for a Blackerry and thinks it is done.

Upvote 0
I use a charger that's for a Blackberry every day.

Works great.

Make sure your mini-usb isn't wiggling around too much. Shouldn't stop charging, unless it IS a really nice charger, as mos95b said, with brains. I have a $2 blackberry wall charger.

Our proprietary charging cables are pinned out mini-USB. And they charge with the same chargers. Blackberries using 3.7v(dead) li-ion batteries still charge with the 4-5v charger that we use, without fail. Again, the cable that comes with our phone IS standard mini-USB pinout. Just the shape of the metal is proprietary. The point is that we have a mini-b usb port for charging and data transfer, not some special port. The port is just shaped special.

Perhaps that charger's just bent a little bit or doesn't work so well anymore? I'd try it on something else if it's intermittent, or try another one. Sounds broken, IMO.

Upvote 0
A few times I used my wall charger for an HTC WinMo phone I had prior to my Eris. I would charge it 8+ hours (overnight). It would indicate 100% charge .... and by 3-4pm that afternoon, I was getting the "charge your battery" warning. When I use the wall charger that came with the phone, I easily get a full day out of the charge.

Upvote 0
Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I thought I would throw this into the mix:

With a generic mini usb cable I am now plugged into my laptop. My eris is rooted and running KaosFroyo. not only is it able to charge, but it also prompted me to toggle the USB storage device setting, and I am currently connected to the SDcard as a removable disk in Windows 7.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones