Start screen not showing!Support

Last Updated:

1. talvi

talvi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

I'm waiting for a replacement MS2 but I don't want to hit the same wall second time around. This is what happened the first time around:-

• Charged battery
    • Inserted SIM
    • SIM was recognised (Vodafone service provider)
    • Display showed two icons (not identified in instructions or online manual) in place of the standard: Call, toggle, and “blue man” icons.
    • The two icons shown were, on LHS: an unlocked padlock, and on RHS: a camera.
    • Touching either of these two icons sets off a vibrate but no other response
    • Device would not respond properly to a hard reset (on/off+camera),
    • No access to the Recovery Screen (through reset procedure): display black apart from some sort of report (small white font at the top left of screen)

Any ideas what may have gone wrong?

The only other thing I found was that when I replaced the SIM into my old phone Vodafone had sent several text messages saying they had sent some new settings .... to "take advantage" of the new features!!

Advertisement
  2. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Hmm, that's an odd one. I presume this phone has come from voda and they have perhaps messed with the firmware.

My milestone 2 is unlocked/unbranded, popped my tmobile sim in and worked first time.

Sorry that's not much help!

talvi likes this.
  3. talvi

Thanks for replying Karnka.

My new Milestone arrived today .... and it behaved identically to the "faulty" model I'd returned.

After pulling what remained of my hair out, and being put through to the EXpansys US help desk, and sending a helpful guy there a photo of the screen, we found out what to do. ....... touch the lock-icon on the left and drag it all the way across to the right!!! Bingo, the phone unlocks.

So how come this is such an arcane piece of knowledge?

And how much of the profit from the sale has been eaten up through omitting to mention this basic piece of information in the Quick Start guide, or the User Manual, or ..?

The other icon btw is of a loudspeaker (not a camera). Dragging that to the left turns it into an icon of a mobile phone. Guess what that does!?! Luckily some text comes up when it's dragged. Yes, you guessed it (not!) It switches the phone in and out of silent mode!!!

4. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Talvi - my bad as much as Motorola's, it seems obvious now but I misunderstood your problem.

It would be obvious to anyone who has used Android before how to operate the lock screen but that's the problem isn't it. What about everyone else! If this is missing from the manual then that is pretty inexcusable. One thing I would say is that with my wife's FlipOut there was a fairly light manual in the box and a much more comprehensive PDF on Moto's website. I'll have a look when I get to work...

5. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

talvi likes this.
  6. talvi

Thanks Karnak, yes, I did see that (after reading the scrap of paper in the box; seeing that the device display did not match that; calling Expansys; and finding and downloading it) I knew that the phone was locked in some way (not broken - despite Expansy' advice) but the section you mention in the manual (the only pertinent one could find) concerns how to change the settings of the lock if I remember rightly. The glitch in this is that to do so you first need to unlock the phone! :D

7. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

It does say:
    To unlock the screen, press Power/Lock . Then drag (little picture of lock)to the right.

Still, that should really be on page one, shouldn't it!

talvi likes this.
  8. talvi

Thanks Karnka, even after reading your post and re-reading the manual I still couldn't find that sentence until I did a search!

I knew the phone was locked, but I hadn't locked it, so I was searching for information about auto-locking, rather than on how to undo something I might do.

To use the phone there are (two or) three unavoidable first steps - 1) charge the battery, 2) insert SIM, 3) unlock it. In some mobile devices I believe that even inserting a SIM (subscriber identification module) is not essential.

So, no it really doesn't help to bury the info on page 56 (at the bottom of the paragraph about locking and emergency calls) or not to mention it all in the Quick Start info (an old Vogon technique!)

Not differentiating between hard keys and soft keys in that sentence also doesn't help, as the screen protector has an icon of a lock next to the power button.

9. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Fair comment