Starting Clean

1. Mr. Monkey

Mr. Monkey Well-Known Member

hey guys. I'm still pretty new at this rooting stuff. I've been playing around with different roms and fun things like that. Lately I have been using the latest CM. I like it, its cool... but seems a bit buggy to me. I've OC'ed to 1ghz, but it still runs rough and a little laggy in between screens.

I moved to Android from the iPhone, and I know one thing that would happen with jailbreaking is if you get too many jailbreaks going it can cause bugs. I'm worried now that I've been playing around with lots of roms and making backups and stuff that I may just have too much going on. So I would like to start over.

I dont have anything on my phone I'm too worried about. I have Titanium backup to back up apps and whatever else. It would be nice to backup my SMS and MMS, so I am using the trial version of MyBackup. Besides that I'm not too worried about losing anything.

So if I just want to start over with a clean rom install and lose the old rom backups, etc... what would be my best bet? I think I'm going to flash BB with 1ghz kernel. Unless there are any other suggestions.

Also, is there an easier way to keep my SD card organized? Just looking through it seems very messy.

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

All you need to do as far as clearing your phone is when you are in recovery do a wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition and you will be fine. As a habit I do it with every ROM flash. Use Titanium only to restore apps and app data. Avoid restoring system data (this will also prevent problems).
  3. Mr. Monkey

Mr. Monkey Well-Known Member

When I do a wipe data will it erase my backup files for Titanium Backup and MyBackup? Or should I be okay?
  4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Those are stored on the SD card, which isn't touched when you format boot/system/data/cache.
  5. shrink57

It will leave all your SD card files alone (including your music and other stuff).

update: damn, you beat me again Fab :D
  6. rogue_slc_vzw_rep

rogue_slc_vzw_rep Well-Known Member

So when you do a factory reset it will leave you with what?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. shrink57

Everything on your SD card. The market will remember your paid apps so they can be re-downloaded and you phone contacts will be resynched from Google.