Starting intense programming soon! Send me ideas!

Last Updated:

1. compscidev

compscidev Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just ordered my android phone. I'm current enrolled in 2 android based classes in college and I am rather good at java. I have been messing around with the SDK and it seems simple.
    Send me ideas in this thread or message me.
    I will be ordering a Dev phone soon from google.

Send me ideas!

Advertisement
  2. IndivisibleP

IndivisibleP Well-Known Member

Awesome. I get ideas all the time. Hopefully some of them may be to your liking.

first something I have thought about is an app similar to the stock gallery app. But instead of just indexing all the photos on your phone every time you opened it, you could also use it to index all your movies, or all your audio, or docs, etc.

Also I posted an idea a week or two ago about something I called "app audition" for lack if a better name. I will have to find the post and put the link here.

Alright here is the thread. App Audition

Its a pretty scattered explanation and not written very well, but if you think it has any potential let me know and i will try to explain it better.

3. jtmr3

jtmr3 New Member

4. Arjen82

Arjen82 New Member

5. seeker613

seeker613 Active Member

Here are some of my pet peeves of what is missing fm an otherwise great platform:

Something to backup apps, data, & ***settings*** for your apps., in case you have to do a Factory Reset & need to restore everything & I mean everything. Oh, & not need to Root the phone to achieve this...

How's about something that will allow a history of clippings, & then cut & paste them fm whichever app you may be in....

How's about my absolute biggest wish-list item:

Global search of all apps for all instances of a name, text, numbers, or appointments based on text/numbers entered in a search dialog box.... i.e. enter Smith for Dr Smith & get all instances of Smith, fm contacts, calendar, & ToDo/Checklists... even password vaults.

Why hasn't anybody done this yet; please don't tell me that it can't be done on the Android platform as it is...

I really miss the last capability that was in my Palm Centro, I could hit the Option & Search button & the dialog would pop up & I'd enter Smith & get all of the instances of appointments I've had w/Dr Smith & his contact info & any notes/Journal entries/memos, etc. etc. etc.

Seeker613

6. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

Yes, I miss my Centro too in many respects, notably a really good calendar and a remote-control comparable to Salling Clicker (which the developer is unwilling to port to Android for some reason, but I digress).

------------

#1 is not feasible for Android, given the builtin security mechanisms.

I achieve #2 using ClipStore, in conjunction with an "in-app menu" as follows: First, install ClipStore, which automatically adds things to a clipboard history. Then, setup an app to run when you press and hold the Search button. I initially tried this with QuickDesk, but found this to be brutally slow, so I switched to using WidgetLocker for this purpose. In addition to being a nice lockscreen utility (and alternative home, but I don't use it for that purpose), you can use WidgetLocker as an in-app interface, e.g. when you press-and-hold the Search button. So when I press that button, up comes a screen which (for me) has several icons, including ClipStore, PowerSearch, and a wifi toggle.

So to get to my list of recent clippings I press and hold the search key, then click on ClipStore, and then click on the clipping I want. ClipStore also lets you "register" some clippings, so you can keep a few items handy like a commonly-used email address or some boilerplate.

#3 is pretty well implemented by PowerSearch, and as you see above I have access to this "in app" as well. HTH ...

7. seeker613

seeker613 Active Member

jae_63

thanks for the input, I will check it out. Been using something else... Clipper... have to compare.. all the best,

seeker

8. ziggy2031

ziggy2031 New Member