starting off on the right foot.

Last Updated:

1. newman1022

newman1022 Member This Topic's Starter

I just ordered my N1 (plus car dock and extra battery) Friday night for AT&T 3G, so i figured i would join a good forum in case i ran into any troubles. Anyone have any good advice or tips for an excited new android fan just itching to jump into it all? :) thanks!

Advertisement
  2. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

search before posting questions when you do get it, but you already knew that. ;)

not really, just enjoy it.

3. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

Download handcent from the android market. By far the best msg app on the market.

Also either better Keyboard is a great keyboard replacement. You could also download the HTC_IME keyboard off of xda-developers.

Welcome to the forums!

4. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Well-Known Member

Welcome to AF.
    You've found the right place, this is pretty much the go-to forum board for N1's on the net.

A distant 2nd may be Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

If there are others out there, they're probably not worth mentioning unless you have an interest in rooting/developing.

5. jw nyc

jw nyc Well-Known Member

I actually find handcent way too slow and much prefer the stock android messenger.

6. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

I just bought in over the weekend myself, figuring I should be seeing it on Tuesday. I would recommend checking out xda, while they have a modding focus the information there is without parallel.

7. Buck Shot

Buck Shot Well-Known Member

root it immediately

8. temperbad

temperbad Active Member

I myself love handcent, it shows animated pics (gifs) when sent any from friends, stock cannot...

Download the sdk and drivers to your pc to get a jump on that and read up on your rooting..

I love this phone, also don't let the droid haters ever bring ya down, there just jealous of our snapdragon...

9. loganss

loganss Active Member

Welcome to the Nexus One family.

I've enjoyed making free VoIP calls on my phone with Google Voice and the SipDroid or SipAgent app. This phone is amazing.

I send all my texts through Google Voice since it's free and have eliminated texts completely from my cell plan. I'm surprised Google Voice is a free service.

10. surin

surin Member

i ordered mine on friday morning for AT&T 3g.. switched from an iPhone 3gs.. and OMG i'm SO happy with my decision even after just a few hours(darn work...)

11. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Agree but only do if you are really sure about the [unlikely] & potential implications of this. See the rooting sub-section of the N1 forum & other threads here....

12. daffyduck

Can anybody give me some pointers as to how to set SipDroid up?

Need to make phonecalls home from abroad shortly & would appreciate some advice.....thanks!

13. loganss

loganss Active Member

I've attempted to write a bare bones how to guide for making free SIP voip calls. Details can be found at my blog:
    Home - Loganss' Nexus One blog

I've broken up the guides to a beginner, intermediate, and advanced section. If ur comfortable w ur phone I'd recommend the intermediate guide.

If u are abroad and don't have access to a US number in order to verify sip provider account creation for the sip providers I've listed, let me kno and I'll provide more info. When I get time ill add a non-us resident guide.

I've also provided my experiences with different confugurations and some call quality results.

Talderon and daffyduck like this.
  14. Deathwish238

Deathwish238 Well-Known Member

If you want to root and get ROMs, xda-developers and Modaco are two sites you need to go to. I highly recommend a Modaco Plus account, the free apps and Kitchen are quite worth it.

Check out Swype, it's a pretty sweet and lazy keyboard.

Opera Mini is a great fast browser.

And for the love of all things do not use AppAware. Freaking hate the spam on twitter

15. daffyduck

Thanks for this - I will have a read through your intermediate guide over my lunch break while munching on a sandwich ;-)

Not sure how it will work if I have not got a US number......may be able to figure that out once I read through suppose?!?

16. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

So, I set it up with the beginners guide to see how this all works, nice guide, might need a couple minor updates for version 0.8.9. :)

Question I have is that my Sipgate account shows that I only have 60 minutes of use left, is this all you get per month or something?

Thanks,

17. loganss

loganss Active Member

For an international user the following setups will work:
    N1(2.1)+SipAgent/Sipdroid+antisip+ipKall+Google Voice Callback(0.1)

ipKall is a service that will give you a US number for free and link it to a SIP provider.

Yeah my guide is already a little bit out of date with the latest Sipdroid and sipagent updates.

SipGate gives you 60 free minutes but if your setup is working you should never use those 60 minutes. You can save them for making international calls.