• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Startup for the Mac

I don't have a Mac but I can help with bash, the file .bash_profile is a hidden file that resides in the users home directory. If you can get to the command line type the following

ls .bash* -l

-l is lowercase -L in case the font is confusing.

if .bash_profile is missing *and* and you have a file called .bashrc then in the command line type

cp .bashrc .bash_profile

Hope this helps, once again I don't have a Mac but I can navigate around bash pretty well.

Upvote 0
ageless stranger - That command came up empty.
Do I have to be in a particular directory for it to
work?

Like I said I havent got a Mac so I was just going by my Linux experience. The .bash* files live in the home directory. Try typing cd ~/ first before typing what I said earlier. If that doesn't work then you will have to find a Mac expert.

Upvote 0
You should use ~/.bash_profile. The file does not exist by default. You have to create it. You can create it with the command "touch ~/.bash_profile". "~/" is the command line shortcut for Macintosh HD -> Users -> your_user_name (commonly referred to as your "Home" folder, and the icon for which looks like a house.

In the .bash_profile, you want to add android's tools folder to the system PATH. To do that you need to add a line exporting the PATH environment variable, or append to it if it already exists.

For a brand new entry, you need to create a line that looks like this:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/android/tools

For an existing line, you just add :/usr/local/android/tools to the end of the line. This is assuming of course you have the sdk installed as /usr/local/android. I did this using a symlink, which makes it easy to switch between sdk releases should I ever need to, without having to touch the .bash_profile or my eclipse configuration. I just change the symlink.

Here's 6 commands to sdk bliss (how I did it on my mac).
# download the sdk
curl -C - -O http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk-mac_x86-1.1_r1.zip

# unzip to /usr/local
sudo unzip -d /usr/local android-sdk-mac_x86-1.1_r1.zip

# symlink for easy to change out versions
sudo ln -s /usr/local/android-sdk-mac_x86-1.1_r1 /usr/local/android

# create the .bash_profile if it doesn't exist
touch ~/.bash_profile

# edit your .bash_profile, creating or adding to the export PATH= line
/Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit ~/.bash_profile

# load for the existing terminal session
source ~/.bash_profile

Upvote 0
Thanks Hallow, now we're getting somewhere.
Bear with me a bit, though, because those command line
instructions still read Chinese to me.

I did get the .bash_profile created with the
"touch" command.
I know that because the search for the file
with ~/.bash_profile no longer reports a missing
file. But, because the filename starts with a period,
the file's hidden.

How do I get to unhide it, for one,
and how do I get to edit it with TextEdit?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones