• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Startup noise /Spare battery...

Moogle

Jun 22, 2010
Well - I got a spare battery, and now just learned a downside of this cunning plan.

Charged phone to full. Sitting at work, decide: "ooh, I can charge the new battery." So - take out full one, put in new not full one, plug it into computer. Then realise I might need it on, so turn it on and nearly jump out of my skin at the INCREDIBLY LOUD HA HA I'm QUIETLY BRILLIANT TWANGLE TWANGLE. {I normally use silent boot, so had forgotten the horror that is this phone's boot up noise}.

Not only did it make everyone look at me in that frowning 'YOU ARE NOT WORKING YOU BAD HUMAN BEING' way, but I'm still waiting for my hearing to be restored, and pulse to slow.
Only way to make silent boot last beyond a battery removal will involve rooting, I guess?

Well - I got a spare battery, and now just learned a downside of this cunning plan.

Charged phone to full. Sitting at work, decide: "ooh, I can charge the new battery." So - take out full one, put in new not full one, plug it into computer. Then realise I might need it on, so turn it on and nearly jump out of my skin at the INCREDIBLY LOUD HA HA I'm QUIETLY BRILLIANT TWANGLE TWANGLE. {I normally use silent boot, so had forgotten the horror that is this phone's boot up noise}.

Not only did it make everyone look at me in that frowning 'YOU ARE NOT WORKING YOU BAD HUMAN BEING' way, but I'm still waiting for my hearing to be restored, and pulse to slow.
Only way to make silent boot last beyond a battery removal will involve rooting, I guess?

My silent boot lasts beyond a battery removal. Have you fiddled with any settings?

Upvote 0
My silent boot lasts beyond a battery removal. Have you fiddled with any settings?

Nope. It doubly surprised me because I was certain when I'd swapped a sim card out and then back in at the weekend that it hadn't done this.
And I'd shut it down and turned it off properly, not done a battery pull, so can't have been that.

Upvote 0
Is it possible you accidentally turned silent boot off or killed it with a task killer?

Nope - I had an app killer on here, but it only runs when I manually run it - and even then silent boot is on the ignore list.

Checked silent boot once I went back into the phone - was still checked to start up silently.

I wondered whether changing batteries, rather than taking out and replacing the same one, might have had an impacT?

Upvote 0
Haha.. :D :D Maybe you really should concentrate on your work?? :D ;)

God forbid! That might kill me.

Anyway - oh yes, yes I replicated this. Exactly (DAMN).

Tried it at lunch. Didn't make noise. Thought 'hmm, perhaps it was a one off'. Just now, I turned the phone off to remove the battery (to charge the other one), took the back off, before I removed the battery, accidentally knocked the on button, so let it boot so I could safely turn off again...

TWANGLE TWANGLE HA HA HA I KNOW YOU'RE BACK IN THE OFFICE HA HA!

*feck*

Now I'm scared to turn it back on again!

I wondered if locale might be interfering - but locale is on to make sure the phone stays silent at the office, and also covers the area where I managed to successfully change it and maintain silence. I can't see why moving 10 metres away from my desk would make a difference, unless the phone is both sentient and malicious.

Upvote 0
Or, before you turn the phone off, switch it to vibrate or silent mode and it will start up silently. The start up tone is set by the ringtone volume

That's how silentboot works, just does it automatically. Normally :p

Moogle said:
...unless the phone is both sentient and malicious

You found your problem! But it might be worth shutting Locale off and seeing if that helps. Anything that plays around with volume settings could be affecting it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones