static/hiss noise when listening to music

Last Updated: 2012-09-27 21:23:26
  1. klausd

klausd New Member

Hi Android users. I recently got a Droid incredible 2 and thus far have been really happy with the device. However, one thing I find essential is the music player and decent audio quality. I've noticed that when I'm listening to music at low volumes, or just with quiet parts, there is a significant, constant static hiss in the background. You can also hear the hiss for 2 to 3 seconds after pressing pause (the music itself stops immediately).

I've read quite a few posts online about this issue, and for various phones, not just the DINC2. That's why I posted here instead of in the dinc2 forum. I believe the issue dates back quite a ways but may have resurfaced? Unfortunately, nobody ever suggests any form of a solution. People just respond saying, oh yeah, I have that problem too.

So my questions are, have you experienced this, regardless of the type of phone you have? And does anybody know of anything that resembles a resolution to this?

I'm running Android 2.3.3. This happens in the stock music player and in PowerAMP.
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. joggy

joggy Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same with my DInc2 and even before the gingerbread update it existed.

I've found no fix for it myself and have basically just accepted it and live with it. It stinks because I too like clean, clear music, but since I like the phone otherwise I don't let it bother me too much.
    klausd likes this.
  3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I'm guessing that something is not grounded properly in the hardware. Unfortunately, if that is the case, there is almost nothing you can do short of exchanging the item. You can often see people mentioning they have this problem too, because this is a common problem with audio hardware. If one of the circuits is bleeding tiny amounts of electricity to the audio components in the hardware, you will hear that as noise or a distorted tone. This can be caused by something as simple as two wires being too close together. Or not enough plastic to sheild a wire.

As a really bad hack/work around, you could boost the volume on all your tracks in a desktop audio editing program. This would distort the sound some but may not be noticeable to your ears. It would also be a fair amount of work.

Another thing to try would be to see if you hear it in airplane mode. If it goes away, it's likely due to one of the radios (wifi or cell radio or bluetooth etc). But the effect is the same, they are bleeding small amounts of electricity to the audio hardware.
    klausd likes this.
  4. klausd

klausd New Member

I was thinking that might be the case but it doesn't make sense that it's strictly hardware. I say that mainly because, like I said, when you Pause a song, the hiss (like that of a cassette player) continues for 2 to 3 seconds and then stops. I also tried switching to airplane mode and that didn't change anything. That's what makes me think it's something in the software. And since it happens in the stock player and in other players, I tend to think it's the OS software.

I also know this very issue has been found in phones besides the DINC(2). I'll find some other posts I've seen on this and link them here.

One thing I didn't ask in my initial post was how can I find out whether or not the fix/solution is in the works, and if not how can I go about getting attention for the issue to get it fixed?
  5. klausd

klausd New Member

Here are the other posts from around the web I mentioned.

This one's a very recent post involving Droid X and a Gingerbread Update.

This one, from over a year ago, describes the same issue, even including the part about the continued static for a couple seconds after pressing pause. I too feel this is a deal-breaker.

Here's one where users report the issue with different phones (DINC1 & Droid X). About a year old. They also discuss workarounds but I'm not really interested in workarounds. I feel quality audio should be expected from current technology.

An older thread about the issue with a Moto Droid.

A recent post with a vague description, but sounds similar to this issue, on a Droid X.

This one is really old on a Moto Droid, but has a much more recent reply from a Droid 2 Global owner.

Let's get this issue some attention!
  6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

The reason the hiss may stop is that there may be a point when the hardware cuts all power to the audio components when not in use (say a few seconds after using). This could easily also cut power to the thing that is causing the hiss...

Hard to say though, you still could be right about it being software. Almost impossible to know for sure where it's coming from unfortunately :(

One thing you'll see though is similar problems on all kinds of hardware. I actually have a similar problem with my desktop computer if it has USB devices plugged in near the headphone jack. It just one of those things that can happen with audio hardware sadly :(

Wish I could be of more help
  7. icewind98

icewind98 New Member

After looking at multiple issuances of this issue, I put in some effort to find why my Droid X suddenly had static when listening to music. I didn't have an issue before, and phone audio was without static. A few nights prior, I turned on audio effects, theater surround.
    I turned off theater surround and my music was cured. This might not be a solution for everyone, but out is *A* solution. I hope this helps someone somewhere.
    alostpacket likes this.
  8. xman50

xman50 New Member

I was getting this hiss on my beat studio noise canceling headphones. this fix above eliminated 99% of the hiss on my droid x2! all yhe sound effects were on. it must come that way.

THANKS!!!:)
  9. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Well-Known Member

I have this problem on my laptop. The issue there is a cheap/faulty sound card.
  10. screaminscott

screaminscott New Member

I had this issue also on my Droid X. I turned off the audio effects and it went away. Thanks! I haven't played around with it to see if any specific audio effects caused the problem more than others though.
  11. japinjc

japinjc New Member

Hi Everyone,

I just converted from an iPhone 3gs to the Galaxy Note and loving the phone minus this issue. I am glad that I am not the only one that hears the hiss. I also have tried turning off the Equalizer and Tone controls in PowerAmp and it makes the problem go away... At least I can't seem to hear it anymore.

The only thing is this then makes all the music sound very flat. One of the reasons I switched from the iPhone among many was the ability to Equalize my music to my tastes. So since this has been identified as an apparent general Audio Sound Enhancement issue. Is there anything that can be done for it? Does this mean it is software or hardware or both? Has anyone found a way to be allowed to use the equalizer in PowerAmp without hiss.

Thanks for any and all ideas/help in advance!
  12. norton70

norton70 Member

Hello, I have the same hiss on headphones and bluetooth, how do I go into "audio effects" to change settings? I have a new ZTE SCORE and can't figure out or do I even see "audio effects", thanks.