• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Static when earphone plugged in...defect?

tigmd99

Android Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2013
Hey all,

With my earphone plugged in (Klipsch X7i) and calling someone, the other person on the other end hears static whenever i speak. It is NOT my earphone because my brother's Monster Turbine Copper does the same thing when connected to my phone. Same for my Android-specific Klipsch S4A II eaphone. And when i call using his iPhone 5 with my X7i (or Monster), no static at all on the other end.

So, it looks like my 3.5 jack is messed up. All earphones through it causes static on the other end of the line when you speak.

Can you guys check to see if your Note 2 does the same? Is this a Samsung problem or my Note 2's problem?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

With my earphone plugged in (Klipsch X7i) and calling someone, the other person on the other end hears static whenever i speak. It is NOT my earphone because my brother's Monster Turbine Copper does the same thing when connected to my phone. Same for my Android-specific Klipsch S4A II eaphone. And when i call using his iPhone 5 with my X7i (or Monster), no static at all on the other end.

So, it looks like my 3.5 jack is messed up. All earphones through it causes static on the other end of the line when you speak.

Can you guys check to see if your Note 2 does the same? Is this a Samsung problem or my Note 2's problem?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, no static here. I test every headphone with mic by making my wife call me from our regular phone. It always sounds clear, no static. Since you are not experiencing any problems while listening to music, I assume its that 3rd ring on the connector which causing some signal degradation, etc? If that's a case, you might want to switch to wireless headsets. Will be a lot cheaper then fixing the phone.

Btw, I noticed x11i was released, and x10i price reduced significantly almost close to x7i level. Plus, I also read a number of audiophile reviews who swear their x7i sounds as good as x10i (former flagship). That really peaked my interest. I'm still enjoying UE600vi, probably the best fit earbuds I have tried without over-the-ear cable. But even after so many hours of breaking in - bass improved but not as strong as in S4A or even my new Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 (btw, amazing sound for wireless headphones).

Reactions: tigmd99
Upvote 0
Well, what is the warranty on Note 2? I have had Note 2 since March/April. I will bring it to Sprint Store tomorrow and see. Thanks for doing the test! Never been a fan of BT audio...but i have mostly used this with my car audio, not with earphones. BT audio also sounds "compressed" vs. USB connection when i had my iPhone.

x10i is good, but i actually like x7i better. x10i cannot be placed upside down and loop around the top of ear...this holds the earphone better in place (esp. during activity) AND decreases wire noise (esp. with the newer flat cables). In addition, the clarity of x7i can't be beat IMHO. For me, after having both, i prefer x7i sound better...and fit is better too. I think that i read one Klipsch employee who frequents audio forums actually preferring x7i over x10i also. Bass with x7i is tight & fast (not heavily bloated like S4 and a bit bloated on x10i)...and you can hear it, giving it a truly neutral response...something that x10i never provided me. (x11i is just x10i with new color and flat cable.)

(For me, earphones with armatures don't need much [if at all] break-ins. So, if you don't hear bass initially, then it won't come with breaking in.)

Upvote 0
Well, what is the warranty on Note 2? I have had Note 2 since March/April. I will bring it to Sprint Store tomorrow and see. Thanks for doing the test! Never been a fan of BT audio...but i have mostly used this with my car audio, not with earphones. BT audio also sounds "compressed" vs. USB connection when i had my iPhone.

Yes, in general audio used to be over-compressed through BT back in v2.1 days. In v3.0 they introduced apt-x codec but it was still not perfect, until v4.0+BLE with improved apt-x that really made a difference. Sound is no longer as compressed. But some manufacturers use their own proprietary sound compression/enhancement. Both Plantronics and Jaybird do, and even with v2.1 of bluetooth they sound very good, although BackBeat GO2 is super awesome.

Btw, I figured since I started posting my reviews in General Accessories section, some might miss it. You have to check out my review of Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 (http://androidforums.com/android-ac...ckbeat-go-2-wireless-earbuds-w-lots-pics.html) where I also did a quick comparison between similar BlueBuds X and Anker BT4 wireless headphones. Plus, for those on a budgets, I did a review of Awei brand wired headphones (http://androidforums.com/android-accessories/765018-review-awei-in-ear-headphones-w-lots-pics.html) - you will be surprised in quality of their ES900i model; for $8.99 its a heck of a deal :)

Reactions: tigmd99
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones