status bar freezing (can't swipe down)Support

Last Updated:

1. djd099

djd099 Member This Topic's Starter

Just got a Virgin Mobile Intercept last week. It was working fine for a few days but now I can't swipe down to access the pull down menu from the status bar. I used Advanced Task Killer but that didn't help. It works on restart, but the restart takes a long time and I have to do it several times a day.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything else I can try to fix this?

I want to root eventually but want to wait for a stable way to do so for the intercept.

Advertisement
  2. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

The notification bar freezes up? Did it work OK when you initally used the phone? Could it be an app you installed? You could try uninstalling your installed apps one at a time, or do a hard reset (menu>settings>privacy>factory data reset) and wipe the phone clean.

djd099 likes this.
  3. djd099

djd099 Member This Topic's Starter

I installed a lot of apps, and one of them probably caused it. But I happened to install Launcher Pro right after I made this post, and that seems to have solved the problem. I haven't had the problem since then and I've been using the phone heavily.

The interface is a lot faster all around. It was laggy in general (in addition to the status bar freezing) but now it's fine.

4. FaroeseViking

FaroeseViking Well-Known Member

Me too. I got the phone the Tuesday it was put out, and had this problem the next day, with hardly any apps loaded. Its a glitch. Call up VM and just let them know, as I did, I would imagine they can help Sammy push out a fix for this bug. The CR said he hadn't heard of this complaint, so he thought it was maybe just this mobile, but as I can see here, it's not unique. Sometimes mine un-freezes for a few hours, then freezes again. Can't pinpoint a rhyme-or-reason for it. Let's hope we get a fix soon, or just gets upgraded to Froyo!

5. pastafarian

I'm a big fan of LauncherPro! If you use it, don't forget to buy it. Even if you don't use the added features and I don't, the developers deserves a little $$$ for the work he does. $3 is nothing when you consider how slick the program is and how often it's updated and improved.

6. pastafarian

I wonder if Virgin Mobile changed the default launcher in some way? Since another user already had success, give launcher pro a try. IMHO, even the free version blows the default launcher out of the water in both speed and utility. If it doesn't work for you, you can easily change back. Nothing to lose!

7. codyleestarr

codyleestarr Member

the way to fix this is once you are on your home screen hold the home button and you will see you apps u lasted used then hit the back key this seems to unfreeze the bar

bluecoy and new2udroid like this.
  8. FaroeseViking

Without doing anything, mine has stopped having this problem it seems. I wonder if google/VM pushed out a minor upodate without telling us. Anyways, its great that it works like it's suppose to.

9. pastafarian

I've never heard of a silent update and I doubt there will ever be one. BTW, VM? Voice mail? Virtual machine?

10. FaroeseViking

Virgin Mobile

11. tonytone

tonytone New Member

mine does it too, before i installed any apps. used various window managers and none of them seem to fix the issue (launcher pro, adw). i just restart the phone.

12. glockjs

glockjs Well-Known Member

mine started doing this the other day after working fine for a few weeks...its off and on. must be a glitch with VM phones

13. raisen

raisen New Member

I have the same problem. What works for me: hold the home button until you see the list of recent apps. Press the back key. Now the status bar should work again.

bluecoy and DMGO like this.
  14. stuartredman1

stuartredman1 Member

This Works

new2udroid likes this.
  15. new2udroid

new2udroid New Member

I really appreciate the help. I immediately tried what. U sggested about holding down home key on home page then hitting back and it worked! Awesome dude

16. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

That and restarts were common with 2.1. If in fact VM releases 2.2 for you guys you will be happy. I also like Launcher Pro. My wife uses it and it has great features. Even she paid for her version cause she liked it so much and she is really "frugal".

17. DMGO

DMGO Member

Thanks! That took care of it for me, too.

18. AndroidInNY

AndroidInNY New Member

Many thanks for the home + back trick. That had been annoying the hell out of me since I got the phone last month. It has happened several times.

19. no3rdseat

no3rdseat New Member

Thanks so much for the Home and Back trick!! I've been on tech support with Samsung several times and all they know to tell me is remove my battery or to do a hard reset. I did this and lost all of my paid apps (except Launcher Pro Plus because they send you an install code via e-mail!!). Can't wait for the 2.2 update on these things. Thanks for the great Notification Bar reset!!

20. iahuerta

iahuerta New Member

The whole swipe down issue usually arrives from this:

Whenenver you hold the red END button, (usually by accident) you get a small prompt to either power off your phone, airplane mode..etc. if you press back, to leave the phone ON, the top swipe down bar will stop working.

Maybe Samsung, Google and Virgin Mobile are just all unaware of the small glitch????