• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Status bar menu and icons turned grey?!

I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before? I was just on my Captivate checking a few apps out and then all of a sudden the screen froze for a few seconds and all the icons disappeared and only the wallpaper was left displayed. During that time I was tapping the screen and whatnot wondering what happened and it stayed frozen like this for maybe 30 seconds before it finally came back to life, but I then noticed that whatever icons were displayed on the left side of the status bar turned grey and also when I pull down any menus from any of my apps they're also all grey now when before they were in color. :(

Does anyone have a way to fix this and bring the color back as the grey looks pretty crappy. I'm using Darky's 9.2 rom right now.

Welcome to the forums, RayTracer.

Unless you've got a serious hardware issue, you've apparently got a struggling CPU at times, likely because it's being taxed by too many things at once. I'm guessing that you've got several syncing and background updating apps/widgets going, and when you try to do much else, coincidentally at the moments the syncing is happening, your device is unable to display the screen fully.

I'd start by unchecking autosync in every syncing app/widget I know of: Facebook, Gmail, Weather, etc. Then reboot and see if the problem has gone away over time. If so, go back to a few of those syncing apps and allow for auto sync one at a time; I'd never have more than two doing that, opting to manually sync most of them, especially Weather and News.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones