• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [STATUS UPDATE 6/6/15, See OP] BUTTERNOOB Stock 4.4.4 v2

MonDillinger

Feb 11, 2015
PLEASE SEE MY POST ABOUT THE STATUS OF BUTTERNOOB BY CLICKING THIS

PLEASE READ NEW FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS

Blackcrown.png

Disclaimer:

I am not responsible for any bricks. By flashing this you understand that no one involved with the making of this Rom is responsible for a brick. However, if two nations go to war, that's okay, because they will destroy themselves and their people will worship me, THE BUTTAHLORD OF BUTTERNOOBIA!!!

I mean uhh... No, very bad thing, no countries should not go to war *cough* destroy yourselves *cough*

PLEASE READ ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE FLASHING

Okay past the joking, this is a stock, rooted KitKat ROM for the ZTE ZMAX. The deodexed version would not boot, so this is odexed. However, this version is free of any King Related apps and I've also removed the little bit of crapware in the device.

WHAT TO EXPECT:

Removal of All King Related Apps
Pre-Rooted
Clear of Bloatware
Added SuperSU
Removed crappy ZTE/Metro/TMO apps
Overall Clean experience

HOW TO FLASH (NEW INSTRUCTIONS):

1. Place ZIP on SD Card
2. Reboot Into TWRP
3. NANDROID (DO NOT SKIP THIS FOR YOUR SAKE)
4. Don't factory reset the normal way, go to wipe > advanced wipe and click "dalvik cache", "data", "cache" and "system". If you don't, you run the risk of getting an updater-script error (not from the zip, it's a bug in some TWRP builds).
5. New Step: Reboot recovery (in the recovery menu). It will ask if you want to install su, press do not install.
5. Flash the ROM
6. Reboot and rep Butternoob!

BUGS:

Free and clear, you tell me!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Butternoob has been confirmed to work on all variants of the ZTE ZMAX by at least two people on each variant. THIS IS NOT SUPERBUTTER! For those that don't know, Superbutter will be a heavily modified custom rom. Butternoob was designed to be a stock, clean experience with solid performance. I may add tweaks, but you won't find a lot beyond the stock experience.​

CREDITS:

-XDA User Mazer.One for the Bootanimation. I made some edits to his and don't take credit for the original work.
-JCase for helping us get root
-Hroark13 for helping me fix the wifi issue in the updater-script
-ZTE Because I have to... They are banished from ButterNoobia though...
-Masterchief87 for the 4.4.4 base and boot.img

ENJOY, REPORT BUGS, FEEL FREE TO USE AS A BASE AND GIVE PROPER PERMISSIONS!

Changelog:
V2:
-Updated to Android 4.4.4 base
-Replaced Google Launcher with Apex
--Advice on Apex: Go into menu > apex settings > drawer settings > drawer animation > circle to enable Lollipop-style animation for the drawer opening!
-Fixed SuperUser (All binaries updated)
-Fixed Gapps Force Closes
- New Wallpaper, taste of the SuperButter :)
-All bugs are squashed

V1:
-Initial Release
-Android 4.4.2
-Removed T-Mobile Apps
-Removed ZTE Apps (i.e. music, file manager, etc.)

DOWNLOAD:

BUTTERNOOB Stock 4.4.4 v2.0
md5: E44F1F84B47D3C4401DA522D0A7494F5
BUTTERNOOB Stock 4.4.2 v1.0
md5: 092cee0504d07fa4decde02d2206a2b7

SCREENSHOTS:
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-23-36.png
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-24-04.png

Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-24-11.png
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-25-51.png

Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-24-31.png
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-37-06.png

People have asked what my PayPal email is for donations, it is mkallen6family@gmail.com . Never required but always appreciated, I'll give 100% regardless :)

Last edited:
The deodexed version would not boot, so this is odexed. However, this version is free of any King Related apps and I've also removed the little bit of T-Mobile crapware in the device.

Odexed ROMS are always better and faster

when you have a de-odexed rom, on first boot the dex files get copied to the data partition eating up your /data space

when you have an odexed rom the dex files are already in /system and dont need to be created

Upvote 0
Blackcrown.png

Disclaimer:

I am not responsible for any bricks. By flashing this you understand that no one involved with the making of this Rom is responsible for a brick. However, if two nations go to war, that's okay, because they will destroy themselves and their people will worship me, THE BUTTAHLORD OF BUTTERNOOBIA!!!

I mean uhh... No, very bad thing, no countries should not go to war *cough* destroy yourselves *cough*

PLEASE READ ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE FLASHING

Okay past the joking, this is a stock, rooted 4.4.2 ROM for the ZTE ZMAX. The deodexed version would not boot, so this is odexed. However, this version is free of any King Related apps and I've also removed the little bit of T-Mobile crapware in the device.

WHAT TO EXEPCT:

Removal of All King Related Apps
Pre-Rooted
Clear of Bloatware
Added Xposed
Added SuperSU
Removed crappy ZTE apps
Overall Clean experience

HOW TO FLASH:

1. Place ZIP on SD Card
2. Reboot Into TWRP
3. NANDROID (DO NOT SKIP THIS FOR YOUR SAKE)
4. Don't factory reset the normal way, go to wipe > advanced wipe and click "dalvik cache", "data", "cache" and "system". If you don't, you run the risk of getting an updater-script error (not from the zip, it's a bug in some TWRP builds).
5. Flash the ROM
6. Reboot and rep Butternoob!

BUGS:

1. For some reason in the beginning during setup, gapps force closes a couple times and once on each reboot. This won't change a thing, you'll be good. I'll have to find out how to fix it later.
2. SU Binaries can't be updated, but you can still gain SU permissions all the same. Unless you are someone that uses SuperSU directly it won't matter. DO NOT FLASH BINARIES VIA RECOVERY!
3. R/W access is still a no go, you have to do the classic reboot recovery method for that.
4. You tell me

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I flashed this on a T-Mobile ZTE ZMAX. It should also work out the box on a Univision ZMAX as well, I cannot vouch for Metro. However, this updater script is written so that it is literally impossible to hard brick your device if it doesn't boot, which is why I said NANDROID (Please for the love of God, Nandroid). If the out of the box one didn't work for you, open the zip and replace my boot.img with a Metro boot.img and see if that helps. I don't own a Metro ZMAX so I can't test it.

CREDITS:

-XDA User Mazer.One for the Bootanimation. I made some edits to his and don't take credit for the original work.
-JCase for helping us get root
-Hroark13 for helping me fix the wifi issue in the updater-script
-ZTE Because I have to... They are banished from ButterNoobia though...

ENJOY, REPORT BUGS, FEEL FREE TO USE AS A BASE AND GIVE PROPER PERMISSIONS!

DOWNLOAD:
BUTTERNOOB Stock 4.4.2 v1.0
md5: 092cee0504d07fa4decde02d2206a2b7

SCREENSHOTS:
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-23-36.png
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-24-04.png

Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-24-11.png
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-25-51.png

Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-24-31.png
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-37-06.png

How do I go about going into recovery and achieving R/W?..

Upvote 0
Not trying to hijack the thread but a quick question for the (semi?)pros....I have the Metro version, had it rooted, but bricked on install of twrp. No ftm, no adb through windows, nothing. No combo of vol buttons and or power brings it back. Blank screen, red light (sometimes solid, sometimes flashing). Most I get is zte diagnostic showing in the ports of device manager. I am willing to screw with this thing with custom roms and such (I have another zmax on the way) if there is a way to recover. Thanks for all the hard work, you guys rock.

Upvote 0
Not trying to hijack the thread but a quick question for the (semi?)pros....I have the Metro version, had it rooted, but bricked on install of twrp. No ftm, no adb through windows, nothing. No combo of vol buttons and or power brings it back. Blank screen, red light (sometimes solid, sometimes flashing). Most I get is zte diagnostic showing in the ports of device manager. I am willing to screw with this thing with custom roms and such (I have another zmax on the way) if there is a way to recover. Thanks for all the hard work, you guys rock.

what do you mean bricked install on twrp

do you mean the TWRP that I put out, why dont you post in the twrp thread and tell me exactly what you did

i think you just not trying hard enoough

just keep holding the volume up button and dont let go, hold the power button until phone powers on then let go

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
what do you mean bricked install on twrp

do you meam the TWRP that I put out, why dont you post in the twrp thread and tell me exactly what you did[/QUOT

Holding vol up + power causes a vibration like it's trying, with blinking light. Held vol for 2 minutes, nothing. Vol down same. Vol up + down will let Windows recognize zte diagnostic driver, (solid red light) other combos won't. Holding power with these buttons just makes it repeat the vibration every 15 secs

Pretty sure I attempted to install wrong version of twrp, don't think twrp itself is faulty. Got perm root and then opened twrp, clicked install and lights out. looking to get into phone to flash correct version. If this should be moved I will. I know stupid mistake, happens. After enough roots I was bound to eff one up

Last edited:
Upvote 0
since it is not my thread, im not to say if your post should be moved

but just to let you know, OP is posting on AF cause on XDA ZMAX did not have dedicated forum, and people just posted all Zmax related stuff in one very very very long thread, and stuff was hard to find

we have a home here on AF and you probably should of just created a new thread in the rooting section, and explain your issue, what was done to cause it, what was done to try and resolve it and so so

anyway if you tried to flash twrp for a different phone on the zmax, you may have a brick

I would say created the new thread and see if anyone helps, may also help to know what version of twrp you flashed

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
since it is not my thread, im not to say if your post should be moved

but just to let you know, OP is posting on AF cause on XDA ZMAX did not have dedicated forum, and people just posted all Zmax related stuff in one very very very long thread, and stuff was hard to find

we have a home here on AF and you probably should of just created a new thread in the rooting section, and explain your issue, what was done to cause it, what was done to try and resolve it and so so

anyway if you tried to flash twrp for a different phone on the zmax, you may have a brick

I would say created the new thread and see if anyone helps, may also help to know what version of twrp you flashed
Great. Thanks

Upvote 0
Glad to hear it's working for you guys :) and the chrome thing is because of the fact that chrome is in the /system and there are conflicting activity calls because it also installs in data, at least that's what I believe, which means they zero each other out. I removed chrome from system and installed it from the play store and it opened fine, so I'll be releasing that in the next update.

Upvote 0
Man I'm fricking excited..the module I've been waiting for works. It's literally the ONLY real reason I wanted root. Now the rest just gets fun with this phone, any future plans for Butternoob besides bugfixes?

There will be a butternoob with major modifications at some point. Custom Wallpapers, new lockscreen, etc etc. I just released this version so that people could get stock rooted without all the hurdles :). I plan on working with multiple devs for that, though.

Upvote 0
There will be a butternoob with major modifications at some point. Custom Wallpapers, new lockscreen, etc etc. I just released this version so that people could get stock rooted without all the hurdles :). I plan on working with multiple devs for that, though.
That's so awesome to hear. I no longer regret getting this phone. I got it accepting the sad fate that it'd never have a root, much less a custom ROM. Btw, I reset back to the stock T-Mobile ROM. I just wanted to test and report back if it worked on the Family Mobile ZMAX.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones