stealing iphone apps

Last Updated:

1. anarchyandroid

anarchyandroid New Member This Topic's Starter

i have been told that i need a certain app called spellnumbers to see emoji (little pictures) on my droid. This app is available on the itunes store but not the android market. Is there anyone who can make this app available for droid? And give us a way to tak screenshots of everything? Not just the web. I mean anything i see on my screen. Please help!

Advertisement
  2. RussianVodka

RussianVodka Well-Known Member

lol wut?

3. DarcMasta

DarcMasta Active Member

If your talking about taking Screenshots of your phone root your phone and get the screenshot app for it, forgot the name of it sorry =/

4. seadams

seadams Well-Known Member

drocap2

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

drocap2 for rooted users, the Android SDK and your PC and a USB cable for non-rooted users.

6. Eusibius2

Eusibius2 Well-Known Member

+1 on both points.

Re: Emoji - Droid's are getting closer. Look at HONSO's app on App Brain. It's in beta, but it's in the works.

Re: screenshots- Rooting isn't what some users want to do, and the rest of the time, I'm not near my PC that has a USB w/ ADK hooked up to it. I think it's a fairly reasonable request to be able to take screenshots of your phone without having either of these. These are good work-arounds, but not always practical.

Is making the app for Droid really that difficult for non-rooted users? (no, I don't mean that to be cynical, sarcastic, or rude - just a legit question from a regular user)

7. dbrookes

dbrookes Active Member

Security in Android is very strong. To do a screen capture the app has to have access to the display belonging to other apps. That isn't allowed. Security-wise a malicious app could take screen caps of your contacts, see secure web browsing sessions or other things without needing permissions to see those things. So without the ability to give apps super-user permissions via rooting, there is no screen capture.
    -D.

Eusibius2 likes this.
  8. smroark

smroark Well-Known Member

You can screen cap with the Android SDK. No rooting needed.

9. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I'm sure a dev could but you'd be better off asking in a developer forum rather than a user forum. There may be a few devs here but you might as well maximize your odds.

10. Eusibius2

That's one of my quandaries, though... I'm not always near my PC at HOME when I want to take a screenshot of something, say, while I'm sitting on the bus on my way to never-never land (or where ever).

I guess I take comfort in knowing that the security is strong, and this is just one of the prices we pay for it. I wonder if there really will be a more suitable work-around in the future...

Thx

11. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Android just needs a built in screenshot feature imo. No need to open our phones to malicious apps.
    They could add "Take Screenshot" to the menu that pops up when you hold the power button for a few seconds.

12. Eusibius2

The problem with this is, as pointed out by dbrookes, that another app could gain access to the built in screenshot feature (as one may call it), and take a shot of sensitive information without you knowing it (passwords, phone records, etc... the list goes on). In theory, it could then send the info / pic to a remote IP address via your wifi connection without you even knowing that too.

13. riffdex

Third party apps wouldn't have access to this feature...

14. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Why not? They have access to everything else.

15. riffdex

They would not be allowed access to this feature for the obvious reason, which has already been said in the thread: security.

If Android's security features are so flawed that it can't incorporate a screenshot feature that third party apps cannot access (only the OS), then I don't see how third party apps aren't already able to bypass these security measures to take screenshots.