Steinbrenner's Death Tax...

Last Updated:

1. TheBeardedMann

TheBeardedMann Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. hakr100

hakr100 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is really important that billionaires and their estates get a free ride while the middle class disintegrates.

3. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what do you think justifies the government taking a percentage of a person's assets for itself when they die?

4. hakr100

hakr100 Well-Known Member

Various governments made it possible for billionaires like Steinbrenner to make their fortunes. It's reasonable for the government to have a tax on a percentage of an estate over a certain size.

5. Tangent

So because the government doesn't prevent you from making money they deserve to take some of it?!?

EDIT: As I think about it, that sounds familiar... Sounds like the protection racket mobs run on businesses in movies. "Gee, it'd be a shame if something were to happen to this nice business you've got going here..."

6. TheBeardedMann

That sounds racist towards rich people.

7. ddoolin

ddoolin Well-Known Member

8. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

Well, the smarts and drive to become rich is in their genes rich..maybe it's a new super race that will start to replace the weaker "lazy"race? Which reminds me of the movie idiocracy. everyone should see it sometime..

9. TheBeardedMann

In this case, the people are born into money so is that a social race?

10. ddoolin

Unfortunately those people are outnumbered by the "dumb and poor" 10-to-1. :)

11. Tangent

Depending on what I've recently seen or read about in the news that movie is either hilarious or a horrifying vision of the near future. :p

12. dpizzo

dpizzo Well-Known Member

Good for the Steinbrenners. Unfortunate that George died, but a good thing that they were able to sidestep theft.

13. ddoolin

God forbid his family be left with only $500,000,000.

14. TheBeardedMann

I know! Especially since Obama deserves it!

15. foreWard

foreWard Well-Known Member

It is not a matter of being "only $500 Million" it is a matter of a person working hard their entire life to build up a fortune to be used for the betterment of his future generations and the government taking some of it just because they can....I can't stand the yankees or steinbrenner, but if I work my rear off and some day have enough money to leave to my daughter, she should get it. I have already paid the income taxes on it, I don't care if its $10k or $100M, it pisses me off that she would have to give some up "just because"

justanotherguy likes this.
  16. dpizzo

dpizzo Well-Known Member

Not to mention that Mr. Steinbrenner's estate had been taxed already as it was being made.

17. ddoolin

It's just a rich (dead) guy luckily evading a tax that's been in place for almost a century and everyone is applauding it. :confused:.

If it was such a terrible thing, why wasn't it reversed so many years ago?

"The government taking some of it just because they can."

They take nearly half of all the money I make, yet nobody is really up-in-arms about that.

18. dpizzo

dpizzo Well-Known Member

Not true. There are plenty of people up in arms about Individual income tax. Just because the rich dead guy not paying the tax isn't you, and the majority of people aren't anywhere close to that situation, does not make it right. The whole tyranny of the majority thing. Also, just because a tax/policy hasn't been reversed does not make it a good thing. Both parties generally like big government.

19. foreWard

foreWard Well-Known Member

You prove my point, the tax has already been taken when the money was earned, no need to tax the same money AGAIN.

20. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Free ride? what do you mean; it's not like this large estate has got anything that a small estate hasn't, from what I've read the smaller estates have for many years been given a 'free ride' when large estates have not.

Would those be the same governments that made it possible for virtually anybody to take the same opportunities these billionaires took to achieve similar success?

Is it really reasonable? did the government not already tax this wealth as income? Doesn't this simply equate to an income tax of ~78% (and of course if it's not all spent, and is passed on to another generation ~90%)?

Death Taxes just seem so wrong to me, but I grew up in a low tax country, that doesn't tax death; in fact your estate get ~$600 to help with funeral costs IIRC.

21. justanotherguy

justanotherguy Well-Known Member

Class warfare is as ugly a thing as race baiting...
    Its pathetic really... 'I hate those durn rich people so lets just take YET ANOTHER piece when they die...'

Ultimately do you Rich Haters propose the Government impose,say, a $10 million dollar cap on net worth, so that way we can spread it around?

I am thinking about getting fired myself since I can live pretty good on Illinois' $525 a week for dam near two years....AND not do anything every day!
    J.A.G.

22. BobPaul

BobPaul Well-Known Member

Do you seriously believe nobody is up-in-arms about that? Look around dude, it is the topic of the day.

23. WAdude

WAdude Well-Known Member