• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector install and review

installed the crystal screen protector last night according to the instructions (dry) with no issues. cant even tell its on there. very simple install and so far excellent product.

only complaint is a few hairline scratches on the face of the protector when i removed the top layer. not too concerned as i figure itll get those anyways and they were very minor.

have yet to install the body wrap. i expect that to be a little more work.

Upvote 0
After a week of use there are multiple, light, tiny scratches all over the protector, they are not SUPER obvious but I keep the thing in its own pocket, clean it with a microfiber, and baby it in general.

Same here. Mine goes in my pocket with nothing in it. Also the protector is lifting at the edges since i put it on. Over all not pleased. Emailed company twice and got no response. Overall not pleased and have already told people to avoid them.
The light scratches I could deal with but not the fact that it never went on the device correctly in the first place. It is like when they cut it the protector was bent by the blade so now it cannot lay flat...

Upvote 0
Just installed my Ultra Crystal Screen Protector a few minutes ago. Arrived in the mail today. Ordered on Ebay on the 22nd. Shipped on the 23rd. Arrived on the 25th. Can't get better service than that.

Pulled the nasty Verizon Anti-Glare protector off after my order was confirmed and have spent the last three days enjoying the incredible clarity and resolution of my unprotected screen. I was a little hesitant about installing the Steinheil because I enjoyed staring at the crisp, bright unprotected display so much, I was worried that any screen protector would degrade the "naked" performance.

Installation went flawlessly. Used the steamy bathroom technique, and the protector went on so quickly and easily, I didn't even need the squeegee. Not a speck of dust! And if it wasn't for the fact that the protector is ever-so-slightly smaller than the X's screen, I truly wouldn't know that it's there. I'm not one given to hyperbole, but this protector rocks. I'm very pleased and thanks to everyone who posted their opinions in this thread. Now, let's see how well it holds up over time. I imagine I will have better luck than some because I never pocket my phone. It lives in the Verizon leather pouch, lined with felt. (Yeah, I baby it...)

Upvote 0
Based on the reviews here and elsewhere on the net, I ordered one for my X and one for my wife's D2. They were easy to apply, and work great, I am very happy with the SGP Ultra Crystal. I was able to apply the first protector correctly with not much effort. It's great that they include 2 protectors in case you mess up the application, and since I didn't mess it up, I have another in "reserve", in case it ever gets scratched badly.

Two thumbs up for these!

Upvote 0
Just installed my Ultra Crystal Screen Protector a few minutes ago. Arrived in the mail today. Ordered on Ebay on the 22nd. Shipped on the 23rd. Arrived on the 25th. Can't get better service than that.

Pulled the nasty Verizon Anti-Glare protector off after my order was confirmed and have spent the last three days enjoying the incredible clarity and resolution of my unprotected screen. I was a little hesitant about installing the Steinheil because I enjoyed staring at the crisp, bright unprotected display so much, I was worried that any screen protector would degrade the "naked" performance.

Installation went flawlessly. Used the steamy bathroom technique, and the protector went on so quickly and easily, I didn't even need the squeegee. Not a speck of dust! And if it wasn't for the fact that the protector is ever-so-slightly smaller than the X's screen, I truly wouldn't know that it's there. I'm not one given to hyperbole, but this protector rocks. I'm very pleased and thanks to everyone who posted their opinions in this thread. Now, let's see how well it holds up over time. I imagine I will have better luck than some because I never pocket my phone. It lives in the Verizon leather pouch, lined with felt. (Yeah, I baby it...)

I installed the Steinheil UC on my HTC Incredible three days ago. Used the steamy shower technique, cleaned hands, cleaned DINC with microfiber and re-read the instructions... OK...set. Checked the fit, centered the joystick on the hole in the protector sheet, great fit. Pealed back the phone-side sheet with the tab and laid the UC sheet to the phone. Pealed back the rest of the removable sheet and stuck the remainder of the UC sheet to the phone. I saw two dust specks and tried to remove with the little squeegee. Was not able to remove dust, UNTIL, I used pulled back the nearest corner to the dust, then used the supplied tape to stick-to and remove the dust from the phone and protector sheet. Laid down the UC sheet to the phone again, used the squeegee and pushed out all the trapped air where the dust had been. VERY HAPPY with the UC. VERY CLEAR. FEEL IS NATURAL - to me, no difference from the bare screen. I have slightly dry fingers and a light touch.
This was the first protector I tried. Thanks to the forum!

Upvote 0
Anyone that's had this on for a while care to offer any advice and if they still support their glowing recommendation of the Ultra Crystal protector skin?

I need to get one on my Droid, but it seems most people love this and the others, well hate it, so just trying to get some educated answers from people that have had it on for a little bit.

Mine's been on for almost a month. There are 5 or 6 tiny, hairline scratches on the protector that can be detected only under direct, highly reflective, incandescent light after the screen protector has been rubbed clean on my shirt or by a cleaning cloth. They don't interfere with the functionality of overall look of the screen and are truly so small that one has to work hard to see them. I wouldn't mention them except in the interest of full disclosure -- even though they are so small as to be insignificant.

Based upon the first month, I imagine I will get a minimum of at least six to 9 months out of the Steinheil Ultra Crystal. Perhaps a year. And then I'll have the second one to replace it. A year or two of crystal-clear protection for 13 bucks and change? That seems like a really good deal to me!

As someone who gets really cranky when products don't work as advertised, it's refreshing to purchase the Steinheils, which work better than I anticipated. Good stuff. You won't go wrong with them.

Reactions: MrJohnnySpot
Upvote 0
I have only had mine for a week and a half, but if you look carefully, I think you will see an overwhelming number of people that are happy, vs. a vocal few, who aren't. Personally, I can not fathom, how you wouldn't be satisfied with a properly applied SGP Ultra Crystal, knowing that it will look/feel the same as the stock glass.

If you are one of those people who can apply a bumper sticker, that is centered and level, you should have no problem with a satisfactory application. If you are one of those people who just slaps on a bumper sticker, and the guy behind you has to cock his head sideways to read it, then you probably won't have a great application... then again, if you are that kind of guy, you probably won't care anyways. IOW, go for it, well worth it, and not a difficult install.

Reactions: MrJohnnySpot
Upvote 0
I've had my Ultra Crystal protector for a while now and its great. I made a mistake while at the shooting range a couple of days ago and forgot my phone was in my pocket. I threw 3 metal magazines in my pocket with my phone, and they stayed there while I shot some action pistol practice (this was before my mag holders for my belt came in). I ended up with a noticeable scuff on the protector, but it did its job and my screen is fine. I'm not sure how durable other protectors would have been in this situation, but I'm pleased with the clarity and feel of the Ultra Crystal. The scuff is annoying in the wrong light, but I'll wait a little longer before I replace it with the other protector that came in the pack.

I would have no problem placing another order for this product.

Upvote 0
You guys not a fan of invisible shield and those type of screen protectors?
I find them to be the best and are actually easier to install (well to me ) because there are no bubbles
To get bubbles in the steinheil screen protectors, you really have to work at it, really not a concern at all. The most important thing, is to ensure the screen is clean, and there is no dust when you apply the protector, but you should do that with any kind of protector, nothing special per se. If you have not applied the Steinheil protector, you might be surprised how easy it really is. It's hard to describe, it's not exactly like a sticker, and not exactly like a wet application, it lifts off if you need to readjust, with out leaving residue or smudging anything, it is kind of wierd really.

Upvote 0
I had no problems installing it...looks flawless...it's much MUCH easier to install it Side to Side instead of Top to bottom. Just slowly pull some of the film away...stick one side down and slowly peel the film away while pressing it down as you go. Doesn't get much simpler than that and its much easier to align doing it side to side.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones