• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Step by Step Rooting Instructions: for Huawei Ascend

Jazziette

Android Expert
Dec 30, 2010
Under the Rainbow
ROOTING YOUR PHONE IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO MAKE IT MORE FUN AND WORK BETTER!

Sidenote: *After you have rooted your phone you may want to also perform the following procedure for an even better experience with your Huawei Ascend.

[ http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/267406-how-install-icarus-mod.html ]

WARNING: There is no advantage to rooting your phone unless you want to customize your phone using apps which require root or you want to improve the performance of your phone by removing unnecessary stock apps (bloatware) that came with your phone that you cannot uninstall otherwise or you want to add some that will only work on rooted phones. If you do not follow the instructions exactly as they are outlined you can cause your phone to malfunction or even not work at all. If you have any doubts about your ability to do this PLEASE STOP NOW!

Also - due to difficulties that some users have when restoring with Titanium Backup, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you purchase the PAID FOR version of Titanium Backup and FREEZE the apps you want to remove rather than uninstall them. This is VERY important for those who are not technically savvy!!!

From the creator of this thread: I KNOW the following procedure works! But if you break your phone in the process, please do not blame me. Do this at your own risk!

ROOTING GUIDE:

CAVEAT: This will void your warranty!

1. First, enable USB Debugging on your phone.
(You can enable USB Debugging by opening Settings on your phone, selecting Applications, then Development, make sure the USB Debugging option has a bright checkmark beside it, a faded checkmark generally means it is disabled.)

2. Using your phone's browser go here and download the file Z4Root for 2.1 or GingerBreak for 2.2.

3. Save it to your phone.

4. If the download is unsuccessful, download the free app: Dolphin Mini Browser and try that. It should work.

5. If you don't see the app after it is installed, go to file manager in the app drawer and go to your sd card icon and go to the dolphin browser mini folder. You will find it there.

6. Open up z4root and when it asks for permissions, be sure to click on 'allow'.

7. Then do a PERMANENT root. You can always unroot later.

8. After you start the process your phone will turn off. This way you know it is working. When it turns back on it will be rooted. You can check to be sure by opening up z4root again and it will give you the option to: reroot

9. You have now finished rooting!

The Steps Hereafter Are On How To Delete Bloatware and Overclocking

IMPORTANT: Backup and FREEZE!!! Do not Uninstall!!!

Due to difficulties that some users have when restoring with Titanium Backup, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you purchase the PAID FOR version of Titanium Backup and FREEZE the apps you want to remove rather than uninstall them. This is VERY important for those who are not technically savvy!!!

PLEASE READ! IMPORTANT:

It is also highly recommended that you backup ALL System Apps and Data before you go any further, using Titanium Backup. (The Freeze option is only available on the Pro Ti-B/U). Once you have them all backed up, restore them all by clicking on back/up and restore tab and select batch and then select 'restore all missing apps and data'. After you have done this you are ready to proceed with either freezing or uninstalling the system apps that are safe to do so. Be sure to reboot after you restore before proceeding.

IMPORTANT: Before using Titanium Backup (nicknamed: Titu) please read this post by UBRocked (moderator here)! If you don't understand it you may want to think twice about uninstalling your STOCK APPS with it.

Also, here is a video tutorial further explaining how to use Titanium Backup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cryu8bFXLJQ&feature=player_embedded#at=51

Backup and Restore using Titanium Backup
(Attribute: UBRocked)

1. Download Titanium Backup Pro from the Market.

2. Open it and be sure to give it permissions by clicking on Allow.

3. Tap the tab in the middle that says Backup/Restore:

4. Back up any apps you want to FREEZE first. VERY IMPORTANT!

5. Follow the directions in the link above to backup and remove stock apps before you continue.

6. You can FREEZE just about any stock app that came with your phone that you do not use except the browsers, with Mobile Web being an exception. Also do NOT remov ANYTHING named google (e.g: google talk) In addition, especially for MetroPCS users, do not uninstall any of your stock email apps as it can create problems.

(See the second and third posts below this one for a complete list of things you can and cannot FREEZE, depending on who your carrier is: Cricket or MetroPCS.)

7. Next, download SetCPU or CPU Boost from the Market and reset your CPU to 600 Mhz.

That's it!

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

~ Jazz

CAVEAT: This will void your warranty!

(However, you can always unroot it! :) )

This is a list of safe things to remove fom your Cricket Huawei Ascend:
IMPORTANT: Do not delete anything with the word Google in it!!
1) UNO
2) Midnight Bowling 2
3) Documents 2 Go
4) MyAccount
5) Storefront (Market does the same thing)
6) Mobile Web (the one with the K over it)
7) Poynt
8) Swype
9) Photobucket
10) Youtube
11) Canvas (Warning: This is your home screen. ONLY delete if you ALREADY have a home replacement app like Launcher Pro or ADW.Launcher)Note: After Canvas is uninstalled, restart the phone because you will get force closes.

Upvote 0
Uninstalling Stock Apps if your phone is with MetroPCS

*IMPORTANT: Backup everything you are going to uninstall before you uninstall it!

Attribution: BURNER

Safe to delete:

Boingo
Uno
Pocket Express
Youtube
Docs to Go
Free Games
Loopt
Mocospace
Mobile Banking
Mobile IM
Virtual Card

DO NOT DELETE:

Mailmetro
Navigation
Easy Wifi
Metro Appstore
Nothing thats by google (VERY IMPORTANT!)
Google Mail
Gmail
Metro Mail

Upvote 0
awesome just a lil advice maybe?? I would put the caveat at the top before anything lol just because I know there are a lot of people like me who dont read first and they just follow instructions and then when they are done and see the bottom the have doubts and might be p.o.'ed also I would add a link to another tutorial on how to enable usb debugging just so you wont get many future replies as to how its done. I'm sorry if I seem like a thread snob but i dont mean any harm :p great job btw very useful

Reactions: Jazziette
Upvote 0
awesome just a lil advice maybe?? I would put the caveat at the top before anything lol just because I know there are a lot of people like me who dont read first and they just follow instructions and then when they are done and see the bottom the have doubts and might be p.o.'ed also I would add a link to another tutorial on how to enable usb debugging just so you wont get many future replies as to how its done. I'm sorry if I seem like a thread snob but i dont mean any harm :p great job btw very useful

Very good idea! Thanks so much for the suggestion. :)

Upvote 0
Hi there! I have a few questions. I have a Huawei Ascend from MetroPCS and I live in Boston. Rooting your phone has something to do with the area you live?? I went to MetroPcs and asked about rooting to the "manager" of the store...he knew 0... The only thing the girl from the counter told me was that maybe the rooting was only for Florida cuz they have been there for 17 years...If this make any sense!!!
Since I am new to this I just want to make sure that I am not messing up my phone by rooting it :) . Also would I loose the app that I have already download?
Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Hi there! I have a few questions. I have a Huawei Ascend from MetroPCS and I live in Boston. Rooting your phone has something to do with the area you live?? I went to MetroPcs and asked about rooting to the "manager" of the store...he knew 0... The only thing the girl from the counter told me was that maybe the rooting was only for Florida cuz they have been there for 17 years...If this make any sense!!!
Since I am new to this I just want to make sure that I am not messing up my phone by rooting it :) . Also would I loose the app that I have already download?
Thanks!!

Hi! Rooting your phone is not anything that one just has to do. Your phone will work perfectly well for you without rooting it.

However, there are some advantages to rooting which is why many of us do it.

This is a good article on why to root:

Why you should root your Android

The Metro store would discourage you from rooting (if they knew about it) just because it does void your warranty. I don't care about this as I plan to buy the new Huawei IDEOS X5 or X6 as soon as Cricket gets them in mid-2011.

But after rooting the phone, it improves the performance and makes it run more smoothly and a little faster. The Ascend tends to lag, due to a lack of HP.

When you can remove unwanted apps (commonly referred to as Bloatware) it frees up your phone to run faster.

You can't remove stock apps (those that came with your phone) unless it has been rooted.

If you have any doubts I wouldn't do it until I had read more and felt more comfortable with performing these actions. But if you do and you have problems, there are those of us here who will be happy to help you.

MetroPCS will not be able to help you.

One thing you can do without rooting (if you haven't doen this already) is to get a new launcher from The Market. I recommend LauncherPro Plus. It will make you think you have a new phone!

As for the apps you have downloaded. It won't do anything to them. If you are concerned you can download Titanium Backup first and back them up.

I hope this helps! Good luck whatever your decision!

:)

Reactions: adriana27
Upvote 0
Congrats KOLIO!!! Thanks for sharing your results here. :)

As for Google Talk I'm happy to hear you're not having probs because of deleting it. Did you backup first? I haven't had the experience yet of uninstalling something I thought I might want but I don't think it's going to be a problem for you.

Someone here is working now on a Clockwork Recovery for the Ascend and it should be ready soon. Then you can just use that to go get the ROM manager from the Market and you can reinstall it that way if you need it. Maybe Joser will know more about it when he gets back online. Cheers!!! :)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I followed the STEP BY STEP ROOTING guide,my phone appears to operate quicker & smoother.Removed most of the cricKrud-ware,also removed GoogleTalk,probably shouldn't have,but it doesn't appear to have done any harm.Can I re-install Google talk,if needed to,for possible 2.2 update.

That is really odd honestly, well, maybe not, did you uninstall gtalkservice or only gtalk itself? Because gtalkservice and gtalkprovider are the ones that will start throwing you force close errors, and stop you from getting emails and using the market.

Upvote 0
That is really odd honestly, well, maybe not, did you uninstall gtalkservice or only gtalk itself? Because gtalkservice and gtalkprovider are the ones that will start throwing you force close errors, and stop you from getting emails and using the market.

Un-installed Google Talkprovider,Google Talkservice,& Talk.As I stated earlier,I probably shouldn't have,but @I'm not experiencing any problems so far.If I do,I will post so that no one else will make the same mistake.

Upvote 0
Un-installed Google Talkprovider,Google Talkservice,& Talk.As I stated earlier,I probably shouldn't have,but @I'm not experiencing any problems so far.If I do,I will post so that no one else will make the same mistake.

I have no idea how you are still able to use market, and get emails after deleting those. You are very very lucky my friend

Upvote 0
Just downloaded Juice Defender from the market 5 min. ago and installed,no problems to report.

Sweet, I love JD. I believe the free version is set up to check for emails and stuff every 30 min while the screen is off. You will notice when the screen if off for a minute or two and you make it turn on, while on the lock screen, you will notice you don't see 1X, or 3G next to your signal bars. Once you unlock, your 1X or 3G will come back, that is how it works with the data. When the screen is off, it turns off the data, and then turns it on for 1m every 30 min to check for emails and stuff, its amazing how much battery life you safe from just that alone. I LOVE IT

Upvote 0
I have no idea how you are still able to use market, and get emails after deleting those. You are very very lucky my friend

NY....I think that KOLIO has Cricket as his carrier. Even though the MetroPCS Ascend and Cricket Ascend are both made by Huawei, they are not the identical phone in that they are programmed differently by the carriers.

That could explain why KOLIO could delete google talk, etc. and not have any probs and yet I have seen MetroPCS users do the same and it backfired on them.

That's my best guess!

Upvote 0
NY....I think that KOLIO has Cricket as his carrier. Even though the MetroPCS Ascend and Cricket Ascend are both made by Huawei, they are not the identical phone in that they are programmed differently by the carriers.

That could explain why KOLIO could delete google talk, etc. and not have any probs and yet I have seen MetroPCS users do the same and it backfired on them.

That's my best guess!

Did not think of that, that could be it.

Upvote 0
Did not think of that, that could be it.

As I stated earlier,I probably should have NOT un-installed Gtalkservice,Gtalkprovider,or Talk.No ill results so far,I have no explaination for that,just fortunate.
We all do these things at our own risk,so if someones phone goes up in flames,just consider it to be a relatively inexpensive lesson.With that said,I thought I read something from Jazziette or Joser116 a day or two ago stating it's ok to remove Googletalk.If not,then my apologies,please.Please reply.
Yes,I am with Cricket.

Reactions: Jazziette
Upvote 0
I thought I read something from Jazziette or Joser116 a day or two ago stating it's ok to remove Googletalk.If not,then my apologies,please.Please reply.
Yes,I am with Cricket.

No, we have actually stressed not to remove anything that was named google.

But I'm thinking that the way I worded the instructions up above on what not to remove and what you can remove could perhaps have confused you so I'm going to reword it for clarification purposes.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention! :)

Upvote 0
No, we have actually stressed not to remove anything that was named google.

But I'm thinking that the way I worded the instructions up above on what not to remove and what you can remove could perhaps have confused you so I'm going to reword it for clarification purposes.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention! :)

I misread your earlier conversation,you said do not remove anything Google(Google Talk is an example).I misread "as an example" to be "as an exception".MY MISTAKE! Chalk that one up to insomnia & lack of ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Again,my apologies & THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN for all of your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones