• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Step by step to root and flash ROMs on Sprint HTC Hero

lunatech

Dec 20, 2009
OK, here is a step by step on how I rooted and flashed my Sprint HTC Hero. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE!!!! Basically to make it easier I'm just going to post the links to the sites where I got the procedures or downloaded the files, it's that simple.

Here is the step by step guide I used to root my hero's. Worked flawlessly on both, just follow each step EXACTLY. The copy and paste idea on step 7 is a great idea so you don't get any commands wrong.
[GUIDE] How To Root The Sprint CDMA Hero (Windows) - xda-developers After the root process is complete, anytime you want to get back into recovery mode menu just turn your phone off and press and HOLD the home key as you power it back on.

*** I ALWAYS make sure the ROM that I am going to flash is on my SD card before I wipe****

The recovery mode menu is pretty self explanatory. The guide above walks you through making a backup. Before you flash a ROM (unless other wise stated in the instructions for the ROM) you need to select "Wipe" from the main menu (by using the trackball to scroll and press it to select). I always Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe Dalvik-cache. Press the return arrow to get back to the main menu. Scroll to "Flash zip from sdcard" and select that. It will automatically show you a list of the ROM or ROMs on your SD card (if you have loaded more than one on there). Just scroll to the one you want to install, select it and let it install. After it install, go back to the main menu and select "Reboot system now". Your phone will now reboot with the new ROM you just flashed. Don't panic if it take 5-10 minutes to boot up, this seems to be the norm. Here is a link the ROM I am using [ROM] 04/12/10 | Fresh Rom 2.0d (Android 2.1) | Rosie LiveWallPapers w/ Espresso - xda-developers It's made by flipz and works great. Just download this .ZIP (or the .ZIP for what ever ROM you want to run) and transfer the file to your SD card.

Now if you want to "unroot" and go back to 1.5 for some reason (like to get the official 2.1 from Sprint, just remember you will probably loose the ability to root with the official release) just download the RUU file located here Download: RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_1.56.651.2 signed release.exe Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero at the bottom of the page. Just double click this file from your hard drive and let it extract (just remember where you extracted it to). Now find where the files extracted and double click on the program ARUWizard and follow the instructions.

I hope this helps some. There is A LOT of information and different ways to root. This one works for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones