Steps for Flashing New ROMS after Root?

Last Updated:

1. androidjunkie

androidjunkie Member This Topic's Starter

Jan 1, 2010
    So I rooted a few days ago using Universal 1 Click Method and flashed Xxtrasense ROM immediately (in step 4 of the instructions below)
    Step 1) download and install this apk - VERSION 0.1.0

Step 2) Run, read disclaimer, press button

Step 3) Reboot, once rebooted your phone should have Amon's recovery. Yay.

Step 4) Use the recovery to flash that is now on your SDCard, or the custom rom of your choice.

Step 5) Go into settings, and turn usb debugging on. After you have root, please uninstall this app.
    I want to try new ROMs and have read through a number of threads but its only confused me more on the next steps. Questions are:
    1. Do i need to do a NAND or NAND+ext backup (I've done a NAND back up shortly after flashing the Xtrasense ROM)?
    2. Is Titanium Backup the only way to get my Apps and data transferred to any new ROMs I flash?
    3. At what point is a dalvik wipe required?

if someone is able to provide a step-by-step outline it would be greatly appreciated (similar to jcase's 1-click eris root noted above).

2. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member VIP Member

Jun 2, 2010
    1. You should always make a backup before flashin a new ROM. If you buy ROM Manager in the market, it can help you make a backup.

2. No, it's not the only way. Your apps should all sync onto your phone once you sign into your google account after flashing the new ROM.

3. Can't help you with this one, sorry, bud.
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Mar 5, 2010
    You might want to read through this thread

for excellent information and diagrams about the steps required to root, make your Nandroid backups, wipes, and flashing new ROMs.

Its a little hard to make a one-size-fits-all list since there are lots of decision-points along the way when one is doing root-related things.

For example, you don't typically need to do the "NAND+ext" backup unless you have partitioned your /sdcard because you are using apps2sd (you should already know if you are).

A wipe of Dalvik-cache is sometimes recommended by a ROM's developer to help ensure that the .dex files used by your prior ROM do not conflict with the new ROM's .dex files. It shouldn't hurt to always do a wipe of Dalvik-cache when changing ROMs, other than the time it takes to rebuild these files upon initial reboot of your new ROM.

Also, you should be aware that a wipes are not necessary when restoring a Nandroid backup.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
  4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Jan 7, 2010
    When switching from one ROM to another, you should do a data wipe/factory reset, which will also wipe the Dalvik cache. The only time that you will want to wipe Dalvik only is when you are upgrading to a newer version of the same ROM - say, from CELB 3.5 to CELB 3.6 - and want to leave your data in place. The other time you'd want to wipe Dalvik is if you are upgrading the Linux kernel while keeping the same version of a ROM.

Some people suggest wiping Dalvik cache on a regular basis, but I really have no idea why that would be necessary.

Titanium Backup is not the only way to move apps over to a factory reset phone, as AMTrombley said. For example, there are other backup and restore apps in addition to the built-in Android Froyo reinstall of your apps. If your apps do not automatically install when you first set up a Froyo ROM, you can always go right into the downloads section of the market and all of your apps, even the free ones, will be listed. So long as you stay in the market, they will all be listed until you install them all. Once you leave the market, though, the next time back only your purchased apps will be listed.

The good thing about Titanium, though, compared with other backup and restore apps is that Titanium restores the market link as well, so that any updates that hit the market in the future will be shown in the market. It may be that other backup apps do that as well when they restore, but Titanium definitely does.
  5. iggypop123

iggypop123 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010