Still cant sync on W7 x64 after following advice and threads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. m0nk666

m0nk666 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guys,

New to the forums and just getting my head around the HTC Hero which I got yesterday.

I read up on the HTC sync software and had downloaded the Vista x64 drivers as per various websites suggestions .

I then went to HTC support and found a new W7 x64 compatable sync software.

To cut a long story short, I have tried both methods. ( New HTC software AND the older Software with the Vista x64 drivers) .. Both give me the same results and W7 seems to detect the phone and installs everything correctly as far as I can see. However .. when I run the Sync tool from the Phone it eventually gives up trying to find the installed software on the PC.

I've disabled the W7 firewall and also the Antivirus software just in case they were blocking the Sync tool on the Hero from connecting, but I get the same results.

Any other suggestions are welcome. As a side note, I can mount the SD Card and see all contents on it through my PC.

Thanks for reading.

Regards

Advertisement
  2. m0nk666

m0nk666 Member This Topic's Starter

Issue has now been sorted out. Thanks TheJock !!

Here is his fix.

Originally Posted by Jazman [​IMG]
    I have also had a problem with getting HTC Sync to work on Win 7 64bit, I installed the latest 2.0.18 HTC Sync software and at first it didn't work, but after a bit of fiddling I got it working:

1. Navigate to Control Panel - Devices and Printers
    2. Locate 'Android Phone' under Devices
    3. Right click on the icon and select properties.
    4. Click on the hardware tab.
    5. Listed will probably be 'HTC Dream composite interface' or similar.
    6. Highlight this entry and click on properties.
    7. In the properties dialogue box under the general tab at the bottom click 'change settings'.
    8. When the dialogue box reappears click on the 'Driver' tab.
    9. Select the 'Update Driver' option.
    10. On the first screen select the second option 'Browse my computer for driver software'.
    11. In the next screen select the second option 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
    12. You should then be faced with 2 options on the next screen under Model, either 'HTC Dream Composite ADB Interface' or 'My HTC'.
    13. Select 'My HTC' and that will install the correct drivers and then you should be good to go.

I hope this helps.
    Paul

3. DThor

DThor Active Member

I'm going through this hell atm with Vista, I'm getting the same problems as many other people have had out there(not just with android, but back over the years with HTC sync!), and this didn't work for me. I did just what you said, it is indeed correct in that the 'My HTC' driver is the correct one for HTC Sync(don't get lost going down the road for older 2006/2008 generic windows HTC drivers). The other one, the Dream Composite, is for when you are in debug mode with the development kit. I find I often have to kick Vista with the development usb option on the android enabled just to have the android device show up properly, then disable, then select My HTC. And variants in between. :( The problem here appears to be some sort of conflict within windows(although make no mistake, my blame finger is pointed squarely at HTC), because the driver actually fails to start with a Code 10 error. I even went back to an Aug/09 release of Sync and it does precisely the same thing. Based on research I've found out there over the years, some people have found specific apps which, if uninstalled, give Vista the 'kick' it needs to clear up the conflicted ports. Problem is, there's no one simple answer for everyone. Either it works, or it doesn't. At first I assumed it was my Vista system because I had installed the Android development stuff on it, but I've tried it on a fairly stock XP system - precisely the same symptoms.

Still reading. It's possible this will fix it for m0nk, but if not, at least know you're not alone...

DT

4. simmy

simmy Member

thanks for the fix works a treat . cheers

5. cmccmc

cmccmc Member

Thanks for this. I was skipping right by #11, which proved to be very important!

6. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

As the question is answered in another thread, I will close this one. Glad you got your issue sorted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.