• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help STILL can't update my phone, even after debranding. Help!

rpat

Lurker
May 11, 2010
It is now July 8th and I am still unable to update my phone to the new firmware R2BA020. Please can someone help.

I am in the UK just outside London and have been waiting for what seems likes ages now for o2 to release the new firmware but so far nothing. Every time I searched OTA or used SEUS my phone always came back with the same message: 'Your phone already has the latest software'. So I decided to debrand my phone rather than wait for o2 to get their act together. My phone (X10i) was showing 'Build number R1FA016'. Clearly not the latest software!

I carefully followed the debranding instructions I found online hoping that once done I would be able to search OTA or use SEUS to find the new update and install it. However after successfully debranding my phone it STILL says the same thing it has been saying all along: 'Your phone already has the latest software'.

I even went through the debranding process a second time using some 'R2BA020 UK unbranded' files I found on an x10 related website to see if that would install the new firmware. But afterwards my phone is still showing R1FA016 and when searching for updates the same old message: 'Your phone already has the latest software'.

I am going mad trying to update to the firmware that everyone else seems to now have. Maybe London in the UK is not an important enough area for o2 to roll the firmware out to yet!! Either that or I am just plain doing something wrong. I can't understand why I can't get the update even after debranding my phone.

Is there anyone out there that can help me. Please, I am sick of seeing 'Your phone already has the latest software' even though my phone clearly shows 'Build number R1FA016'.

Thanks guys!

the update is not released in the UK yet :(

The UK generic software update to R2BA020 is available. I updated mine well over a week ago before rooting and updating to the superior R2BA023 (but that's another story).

To update don't use OTA or SE update. You need to install PC companion.

Here's the link Sony Ericsson - Support - Softwaredownloads - Detailed - Pccompanion - Xperia? X10

Install the software, connect your phone and click on 'support zone' this will check for a software update and will find R2BA020 and then will update you phone :D

Upvote 0
The UK generic software update to R2BA020 is available. I updated mine well over a week ago before rooting and updating to the superior R2BA023 (but that's another story).

Here's the link Sony Ericsson - Support - Softwaredownloads - Detailed - Pccompanion - Xperia? X10

Install the software, connect your phone and click on 'support zone' this will check for a software update and will find R2BA020 and then will update you phone :D

Ah. Thanks for the info, kersey.

Upvote 0

what network are you on? im on t-mobile and i still get nothing from seus

Upvote 0
what network are you on? im on t-mobile and i still get nothing from seus

Have you tried updating using PC Companion like kersey said? If not, try it and see how that works for you. If you don't have it installed, follow the link kersey gave in their post to download and install it. Once you've Mounted your SD card, your phone is connected to PC Companion and then you can search for updates as kersey mentioned.

If you've tried this already with no update, then I guess you'll just have to be patient until it is released for your phone/region.

Upvote 0
On your phone, go to Settings>About Phone and at the bottom it will say Build Number. If it doesn't say R2BA020 or R2BA023 go back to the top of the list in About Phone and it should say Software update. You should be able to update using that. If not download Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS) or PC Companion and you should be able to update through that. As others have said though, depending on the network, phone branding or region, it might not be available for you just yet. In which case you would need to root the phone to install R2BA023.

Over 014 and 016, the 020/023 update brings better responsiveness from the phone and screen, menus are also smoother and the battery supposidly lasts longer. I haven't been able to check if it has for mine yet as I've been pluggin it in to grab photos from the phone n stuff so I haven't let it run down naturally yet.
Also, some have said 023 makes the incall volume better.

MediaScape and TimeScape are also more fluid. You can also change the background color on timescape. You also have the option to disable updating once you open TimeScape - something that actually bothered me, as it was set to never update but, once I opened it, it would. I personally, prefer to do it manually and now I can, even when I go there by mistake :eek:, it won't try using my 3G to download the updates.

Upvote 0
Yeah O2 haven't released the update yet, unfortunately you guys have to wait longer :(. I've also not heard anyone mention Vodafone UK. Vodafone are TERRIBLE at getting the updates out, so I'm sure O2 will move quicker than Vodafone, that's the only positive. Hopefully it won't be long though. Apparently you should get a notification saying it's available - I didn't though (although I don't think i gave it chance really). Although I personally, would keep trying every day :eek:. And checking here of course, someones bound to post when O2 release it :).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones