Still confused by rooting, nandroid, upgrade

Last Updated:

1. jreid9001

jreid9001 Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my HTC Desire a while now and it's amazing, easily the best phone I've had and I love saying to all those iSheep 'can your phone do this?' :p

That said, It's really annoying when it keeps running out of memory and mine is still on 2.1 and still hasn't said there is any update available. I've been considering rooting for a while to install things to SD, as well as having heard that 2.2 lets you have a proper unlock code rather than the pattern.
    I've read various guides, but I'm still confused about the process. I understand that first of all I should use nandroid to make a backup, but I really don't get how to, then I want to make sure I get the rooting and upgrade right as I REALLY can't afford to brick my phone.
    Mine is one of the newer ones, hboot 0.83.0001 (edit: a Three branded one)
    I'd really appreciate advice on this :)

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

That's actually a pretty old one now. You can't nandroid until you're rooted.

Look at the noob guide in the first page of this forum. Should answer most of your questions

3. jreid9001

That looks fine, just backing everything up now ready to root, but I still can't find any good explanation of nandroid. Also, I've seen mentions of a goldcard but I don't have one or know what it is, do I need one?

4. jreid9001

edit: never mind :p

5. jreid9001

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer