Still having problems with proximity sensorSupport

Last Updated:

1. gkh77

gkh77 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

Anyone still having problems with the black screen? Have downloaded and installed the ota update and if anything the problem is worse!

Seems ok on incoming calls but if I make an outgoing call the screen goes blank and the only way to reactivate is to hit the power key.

This is starting to sound like faulty hardware to me. I read that the ota update was supposed to sort this!

Any advise would be appreciated as other than this really annoying problem the phone is great!

Advertisement
  2. Marshal77

Marshal77 Member

Have you tried blowinng in the ear speaker? That should remove all possible particles on top of the promixity sensor blocking it.

3. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Happy to say mine's fine, but then a blow sorted the problem for me. I've done the ota update nevertheless, is there a anything from htc to say the update was for this problem?
    Seems to have changed too, you say you can get it back by pressing the power button, whereas before it was completely unresponsive to everything bar connecting to power.

4. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member

Indeed, they must have reprogrammed the power button behaviour.

Mine WAS fine after blowing on it, I then updated with the OTA patch and now intermittently the problem re-occurs.

May well return my phone this week, hopefully stock levels will be OK.

5. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Happened again today, but a blow sorted it again. That's 2 more times since the blow fix was discovered, & would also suggest the ota update might not have been for this.
    Due to the problem being so easy to fix, i'll just hang on for now.

6. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member

I think we MUST have bad hardware.

How you finding the battery? Starting to wonder if there's something wrong with mine, manages 1/2 a day and that's with everything switched off.

7. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

My battery seems fine, have done the 'new battery' procedure though, let it run down fully before recharging fully. This apparently lets the battery adjust to optimum performance, & i think i am getting a bit more day by day. Will do this for a week or so.

8. Keldraxas

Keldraxas New Member

Joined forum just to talk about this issue.

Only made my first call today and I experienced this issue twice (seemed ok when I received calls the previous days).

The first time blowing in the sensor then connecting the power cable made the screen come back, the second time I ended up pulling the battery.

If dust is the issue then either it's a bad design flaw, or the sensor settings are just turned down to low (seems confirmed as a lot of forums say a very bright light will make it come back).

Downloading the update now. Hopefully they have changed the behaviour of the power button to auto turn on the screen (essentially a very simple code change 'on powerbutton_press set proxylightsensor = false'). Not the best fix (or really acceptable for a device this expensive) but a good enough one for the time being while they look into the issue in more detail.

If they have that'll appease me for moment.

Other than this issue it's an amazing phone.

Battery Question above: I find leaving the phone on my desk at work (sent about 15 SMS / received about 16) showed it off to a few people / etc. Went home with ~75-80% power left. Then of course it all gets used as I spend about 3 hours looking at new apps / playing / etc.

I think moderate use should get between 1.5 - 2 days.

The screen only lasts about 5 - 6 hours for me left on continuously (although it's only been charged 3 times). Better than a laptop.....

9. TheSuper

TheSuper Well-Known Member

10. Dioky

Dioky Member

Hi there,

Posted the same question over in XDA:

My first DHD had a fairly large gap between SIM / SDcard cover and the unibody and the camera lens wasn't aligned well behind the glass shield (too low). This made me think the inner wasn't well placed into the unibody.
    I had it replaced.

My second DHD (which I have for a week now) has a smaller gap between cover and body, but still.
    Yesterday I had my first problem with the proximity sensor: I couldn't end a call.
    So I started searching on XDA and here.
    At the front I can slide a piece of paper between the top of the screen and the body... That made me think that the remedy I read about, blowing onto the sensor, maybe is more like blowing into the gap between screen and body, about where the proximity sensor must be located.
    In other words: is the gap between screen and body at the top correlated with the proximity sensor collecting dust? Could this be why blowing on a proximity sensor seems to work (which is, after all, unlogical)?

Does anyone have the same combination of problems?

Regards,