• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Still Stuicking @ Boot Animation - LogCat.

Gotta Love Verizon, Folks complain but...

Attachments

• fedexgn.jpg
    fedexgn.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
Got the new spanker @ 2PM. Called Verizon and got the Droid off and the Gnex on.
It came with ICS IMM76Q.

Checked for updates - NaDa.

Went into running Apps and cleared cache in Google services frame work and forced closed and rebooted.

It came up updating with out even asking. Installing as I type.

The sticker on the device says certified "As New" heh. It looks it.

My old device says made in Korea. This one says China.

................ Watching it the android do its thing now.............
................The animation.................................................
..Not even 10 seconds of anmation and Android is updating.....
............................BaM! I'm Jelley Bean!............................

I515.10 V.FF02 / I515FG02
JRO03O
KERNEL VERSION
3.0.31-g396c4df
android-build@vpbs 1 )
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon July 16 18:08:06 PDT

Back to my other chores.

Upvote 0
Glad you finally got a JB-capable GNex, gapi.

There certainly was/is still something very different about your old device or its setup that didn't mesh well with JellyBean...

Wish we could have identified and fixed it for you, but I'm happy to have learned a few new things and worked with you guys on this. Fellow Staffer iowabowtech deserves high-praise for his help and efforts here--kudos again to you, sir!

Cheers!

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
While we're handing out kudos, I'm not the guy building up custom batch files!! :eek:

Even though we didn't get to the root of it, that was one of the more fun threads I've been involved with in all my time here at AF. I would dare to guess Gapi has a different opinion and frankly, we're lucky he had a good sense of humor or he'd have told us and our "elaborate plans" where to go a long time ago. :D

Upvote 0
While we're handing out kudos, I'm not the guy building up custom batch files!! :eek:

Even though we didn't get to the root of it, that was one of the more fun threads I've been involved with in all my time here at AF. I would dare to guess Gapi has a different opinion and frankly, we're lucky he had a good sense of humor or he'd have told us and our "elaborate plans" where to go a long time ago. :D

Totally agree that this was / is a mystery begging to be solved and worthy of any effort we put into to. At the very least, we've hopefully gone down a few roads that others might not have to.

I just got back into town very late last night and installed the JB OTA that nagged me every five minutes for the prior 24 hours :mad: (I knew it wouldn't install because of mods I've made).

Since I'm finally back home and have access to my desktop, I just tried running a "plain" bootanimation script that runs the /system/bin/dmesg command. It didn't send it to the screen (explains why chainfire had to create his custom binary), so if this is necessary in the future, we'd need to re-route it to someplace like /cache for later capture and analysis (/sdcard won't be available right away until fuse is running, so use a partition you know is mounted early-on like /cache).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Hi guys, in-case your still tuned in I thought I would get back with you guys with some of my notes.

I have tried all the major ROM players and still come home to AOKP. XenonHD came the closest in comparison.

The new device screen is better. I guess my old one had banding.
I'm running AOKP B4 now and its killer-killer fast butter.

Don't restore TBU backups made in ics to JB. One noticeable symptom is not being able to assign custom icons to nav bar buttons.

Google Now runs major Maps and such in the background so if your battery life in JB sucks, try disabling it.

As a PI I live and die by being discreet. Inverted GAPPS were a must. I tried a few packages but it seemed at least one of the apk's in each package would fail.
So I pruned out all that work for me and zipped them up for download.

You flash them all one at a time in a single recovery session. The download zip is not a flasher.

1. Google Now
  2. MMS
  3. Gmail
  4. Email
  5. G-play
  6. Contacts
FileSwap.com : WorkingInvertedGappsJB.zip download free

Thanks Again Guys

Upvote 0
Hi guys. I just read this over @ Rootz and realize its a combo i never tried. Thought I would share in case one of us meet up with another case like i had.

I've been flashing ROMs since the OG Droid. Hard to believe it
was only 3 years ago. And never had a problem until last week.
I could not get JB M1 to start. Or any other ROM. I unlocked.
Unrooted. Returned to stock. About 4 times. I spent hours trying
different combination's of ROM/ GApps. But I would still get an
endless boot animation. Up to 3 hours long. Then I read somewhere
to factory reset, flash ROM, and then factory reset again. It sounds
ridiculous, but it was the only thing that worked. Not sure why. [/quote]

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones