• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still undecided: what's the best place to get the EVO at launch?

Where are you getting your EVO at launch?

• Best Buy

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Radio Shack

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • From the same guys who sold me those brand new $3k speakers for $200!

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
I'm still not sure what's the best place to get an EVO this Friday, and specially since I'm no longer planning on billing the phone to my account (only possible at a Sprint corp. store), the options opened up quite a bit, with Best Buy and Radio Shack.

Since both offer the $100 rebate instantly, I'm not sure if there's any one particular thing that would make you choose one of another (besides any rewards membership discount).

So where are you planning on getting yours and why?

I'm going to RadioShack. I first was going to go to a Best Buy store over the 5 Freeway in Springfield, which isn't near my neighborhood, but I figured it'd be more convienent than dealing with the mail in rebate. After fighting lunch hour traffic, I finally got to BB. The employee was very rude and disrespectful to me. He actually walked away as I was asking a question and said, "I'm not going to deal with you." I left BB extremely frustrated but checked RadioShack locations on my Pre and found the was one just down the road in the Gateway Mall. I ended up pre-ordering with them and they informed me they were giving a $20 credit toward an accessory purchase for those who pre-order. That's cool, so I'm glad I went with The Shack.

It is my understanding, however, that both RadioShack and Best Buy have ended their pre-orders. I'd call your local RadioShack(s) today! If they're no longer taking pre-orders, most Sprint stores plan on opening two hours early on Friday at 8am. Call your store to verify. If RadioShack has filled their pre-order quota, your best bet would be going to the Sprint store Friday morning, as inventory at Best Buy and RadioShack will be very limited. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Upvote 0
RS seems like a better choice (even though I've got a couple BBs within 10-15 minutes), since it's both on my way to work, plus the $20 credit.

Where did you read about the end of pre-orders? I've read posts from today of people still getting them. Hopefully they're open tomorrow (Memorial Day) so I can clarify.

BTW, I knew I recognized your nick, you also hang out (or used to?) over at PreCentral forums? I really like my Pre (wish it was a bit faster and larger screen, is all. Hmmm... WebOS on an EVO-like phone? Hello HP/Palm, move your asses!), but I still want to try Android, though WebOS is really a near-perfect mobile OS.

Upvote 0
I know that today is the OFFICIAL LAST DAY to pre-order at RadioShack as it was advertised ontheir website. I've read on this forum that some stores reportedly reached their maximum quota and couldn't take anymore pre-orders.

And yes! I am on p|c and I too am switching from my Pre to the EVO. I really like my Pre as well but am excited to try something new. Next year if HP/Palm have something good in the works, I may switch back as I also love webOS.

Upvote 0
I have my name on "the list" at a Sprint store where I work in lower Manhattan and will supposedly get a call on Thursday letting me know that the phone will be available on Friday. This should guarantee that the phone is in my hands on Friday but the potential to be dealing with a crowded, mayhem filled store exists. My other choice is to order through the phone via the EVN. This way the phone will get shipped directly to my house with no problems. The only issue would be, when does the phone ship through the EVN? If I knew that it ships on Wednesday, then its a no brainer as I would have it by Friday, but if it doesn't ship until Friday then I probably don't have the phone in my hands until Tuesday at the earliest. Have to decide quickly!!

Upvote 0
Heh, so I should've posted an update to this thread. And how my poll is seriously flawed.

I did not include Sprint. And today I find out all local RS/BB stores are finished wit their pre-orders.

So I'm getting mine through Sprint. Congrats to those who got in early and scored any freebies (gift cards, headsets, etc). I'll console myself knowing that at least I won't have to pay upfront for the phone (billing to account).

:)

Here's to Friday the 4th! Good luck everyone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones