Still worth buying Hero, or should I wait for Nexus One or Legend?

Last Updated:

1. Biohazard

Biohazard Member This Topic's Starter

So I am considering getting the HTC Hero on a

Advertisement
  2. steveg

steveg Active Member

i wouldnt worry about the legend. the nexus one is another story...depending on the price it might be a temptation....
    only thing is it will be stock android, and i looooove HTC sense ui...

3. Biohazard

I am considering the Nexus, but I am worrying I won't be able to get it for

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Right now, if it was me i'd wait until after xmas. But the Hero is a fantastic phone in its own right, so you would not be disappointed if you got it now.

5. fantasytozi

fantasytozi Active Member

I think u should buy the Hero now. It's a great phone anyway;).
    If u want to wait for the new phone, u will always keep waiting because there's always something, some other new technology, new modern, advanced phone coming from another to another. The phone companies are always on a race, but we can't run with them. It's a matter about money:D
    Besides, Hero is guarantee to be a great phone by many people who used it, and by this forum. Who will guarantee that the next phone is better than Hero?
    Anyway, think carefully;)

6. Ashenor

Ashenor Well-Known Member

I was going to wait, as we all know waiting there is always something better around the corner.

That said i bought a HTC Hero last week and love it. 12 months from now i will probably upgrade to whatever is the greatest phone at the time again and so on and so forth. I can say with 2.0 coming to the Hero i will be more then happy for the next year.

7. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

8. Biohazard

I guess so, but I just don't want to buy the Hero then have something much better come out.

9. thenoble06

thenoble06 Member

I was in the same boat three weeks ago - buy a Hero or wait for the next big thing. I am so happy I went for the Hero - easily the best phone I've ever had and I love using it. I could have waited for something slightly more powerful - then like previous posters have stated I'd have never got a phone that way.

I have an 18month contract, but I'm very happy with the Hero and glad I went for it.

10. 2010

2010 New Member

Realistically, how much better will the new phones be when all Android phones run the same software?
    The more valid question should be, is the Hero good enough for what I want to do & considering you're moving from 'a very basic cheap brick', the Hero is going to be a vast improvement.

11. CitizenErazed

CitizenErazed Well-Known Member

Let me timeline the next year for you.

Jan 2010 - NexusOne comes out. Hailed as the greatest phone EVAR.
    March 2010 - Legend comes out. Hailed as the greatest phone EVAR.
    April 2010 - NexusTwo announced. All Nexus owners feel pissed off they haven't waited.
    May 2010 - Enigma/Wizard (whatever HTC want to call the next in the Hero line) is announced. All Legend owners feel pissed off they haven't waited.
    June 2010 - NexusTwo comes out. Hailed...

Et Infinitum.

There will always be this debate. Always, always, always. But if you keep skipping the bus cos there might be a jet coming along later, you'll never get anywhere, if you get what I mean.

I love my Hero. I'd love a Milestone slightly more. But then if I had a Milestone, I'd probably love a NexusOne slightly more. I have 15 months left to run on my contract, when those 15 months are up I intend to have a look around the market and I'll probably end up with a NexusThree or whatever they'll call it.

12. Delude

Delude Well-Known Member

Do you think the Hero will happily last a full 18 months (hardware and software updates?)

I'd love to be able to compare it in a sense to my iPod Touch, I have the first gen and it still runs great (two years on). Apple have continued to allow updates to be included with the first gen, so if HTC will do the same (well, I guess the updates are up to T-Mobile really?) then I am going to sign up to the same

13. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

I agree with the other posters, there is little point waiting for the next best thing. I would like a Milestone but cannot see a big advantage over the Hero.

I will keep my phone until something comes along that is a real game-changer. Nexus One is still all rumour and speculation.

I think HTC are a safe bet as they seem to support there phones better than other manufacturers. Plus, I suspect future software updates from Google may have performance tweets through better code optimisation.

My wife has the same phone as me, following my recommendation.

14. Delude

Delude Well-Known Member

So do you reckon HTC will continue to allow Android updates for a good year or so with the Hero? Surely they'd have to what with the Market Place and apps needing to stay up to date?

I'm looking for that final push before I sign up to my first contract.

15. Biohazard

Ok,do you think it would be possible to get the Nexus One on a

16. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member

No and no mate... Firstly, we cannot be sure that the Nexus will be with us in the UK in Jan, and secondly, its release will not have an effect on the Milestone as that isnt actually available on any networks yet...

I would say that generally, the release of a new device doesnt reduce the price of other similar device, except those of the same manufacturer...

17. Biohazard

So is there any point at all waiting for the Nexus One?
    Because I will be wanting to use it for gaming occasionally, and with all of these powerful 3D games coming out I am worried that I will be left behind with the Hero.

18. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member

Only you can answer that one mate... The main problem being that you dont know how long you will be waiting as there hasnt been an announcement on the device and even when there is you will then need an announcement from the networks picking it up...

I'm getting a Hero first week of Jan... I have to get a new business line then so thats whats driving my decision... If there was another handset like the Bravo, Legend or Nexus then I would go for one of them, but as I need to get the line in the business name for tax reasons I cant wait...

Not to mention that my existing handset is on its last legs!

Im looking forward to getting the Hero and spending the next 18 months with it...

19. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member

Im in the same boat as you but Im just gonna go ahead and get it, and maybe a year and half from now I'll get a new phone, Hero looks excellent!

20. Biohazard

I could do with coming to a final decision on this.
    Do you think I will ever be able to get the Nexus on a

21. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

22. Delude

Delude Well-Known Member

I'm just going to go for it tomorrow, if I can get the

23. Squashy

Squashy New Member

Its now Feb. Did you get the t-mobile G2 at

24. Delude

Delude Well-Known Member

Nope, they changed their minds, so I'm going to get an iPhone instead.

25. Biohazard

I'm still stuck on my decision.
    Will there be any phones coming out soon that will be under