Still worth buying?General

Last Updated:

1. techobsessive

techobsessive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im thinking about getting either the G1, or the Mytouch or whatever its called. But i love the G1 for its keyboard. My plan is to get it on flexplay. What do you guys think? Is it still worth getting, or is it too old?

Advertisement
  2. my05

my05 Active Member

I keep hearing that all the time: "G1 is too old" :) I personally can't see why it should be old in any way. Sure, newer models have (often) more memory (288/256 instead of 192) but the rest is the same (mostly). Same cpu, screen, etc.

If you can get the G1 for a good price right now, i wouldn't personally hesitate. I played with a Hero the other day and sure, it weighs a little less but thats all really (it has more memory tough).

Or perhaps wait for the Motorola Sholes phone with qwerty which is rumoured to be released (based on the OMAP3430 cpu).

This is my opinion anyway :)

kind regards

Daniel (G1 owner)

3. cintra

cintra Active Member

I would go for the newer device as I believe its more capable of being upgraded.. or wait for a soon to be released device.

mvh

4. techobsessive

Thanks Daniel, How is your G1 holding up? This shouldnt be as hard as it is for me to make a decision, but it is. Im going to get it through flex pay, so there wont be a two year contract. So that also means i have to pay full retail for the device.
    Side note- because i wpnt have a two year contract, i can upgrade at any point in time, so if time comes and i get the G1, and a year later it feels dated, then i can get a new one and not have to worry about it. I just dont want it to feel dated the first day i have it. (What i reallllly want is a new HTC android with a physical keyboard, maybe a Hero with keyboard? We can dream cant we?)
    But ill keep thinking about which one.:eek:

5. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I've battled with the old physical V's screen keyboard for a while now. I'm a big blackberry fan, and I've also tried the iPhone 3g for a while before going back to blackberry.
    Strange thing is though - it's amazing how quickly you get used to pressing the screen to move through fields etc. When I got the blackberry back, it felt long-winded.
    I'm with the Hero now, and I've made the decision that I am going to learn and perfect the art of the on screen keyboard. It's the future, or so it would seem.

G1 is a nice mix though: best of both worlds? They seem like the "old faithful" of the android world. Go for it I say!

6. theevilone

theevilone Active Member

yes and flexpay is good plan.

7. techobsessive

Does the G1 work alright with Flexpay?

8. techobsessive

Thats how i view it, best of both worlds. Thanks for your opinion! :D

9. flipnoy

flipnoy Member

I would go for the MyTouch since google might discontinue updating its software for the G1 because of newer model phones. Good Luck

10. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Please don't post this without any real knowledge. I have spoken to android engineers, they have assured that the G1 will have at least 2 more updates like all other Android phones. (they haven't planned what kind of updates will be past that for any phone yet)

They realize the G1 is a big part of the community and they know supporting this device for the long term is in their best interest. The device isn't even a year old.

11. Renton

Renton Member

Yeah it's the same thing..Same Network , Same everything , Only difference is , Everything has to be paid upfront ..Been on Flex Pay for 2 months now ..If you are on a regular 2 year contract then when you add features you don't pay upfront . And no flex pay is NOT prepaid! :D