Still worth it to get a hero?

Last Updated:

1. sparro

sparro Member This Topic's Starter

Hope yall are having a good evening. I

Advertisement
  2. mooshell

mooshell Active Member

I have no complaints with my Hero, had it four months now. Best phone I ever had. YMMV though but at least for me I'm happy with my Hero.

3. ivoks

ivoks Member

Android is a linux based phone. Therefor it is quite stable, but it's development will never 'stabilize'. opportunities that linux provides are enormous and the OS will develop fast and for a long time. Look at Linux desktop operating systems.

I bought Hero couple of days ago and I'm satisfied with it. And I do have big expectation from a phone. The only thing that's not perfect is the version of OS. But, it turns out that some people got updates in some parts of the world, so it looks like update is coming.

Most of my time, I'm outside too; biking, kayaking...

4. jjgjr75

jjgjr75 Member

I think it is worth it. I went from a Blackberry Pearl to this in November and although I have had issues I think it is a great phone. The phone is much better with the new firmware although some folks have had issues with Bluetooth, etc.

I think you hear the complaints because we are expecting so much out of this phone. It does so much more than my Blackberry so I should expect the occasional hiccup. The only major problem I had was really bad dialer lag when I was using a custom ROM from Damageless. Although I loved the ROM I could not deal with the lag. Since I updated to the official Sprint 2.1 firmware I have not had 1 issue. So when you hear of the issues on the forum you sometimes don't get the whole story as to why it might be having issues, such as buggy software, task killers, etc. I can not live without this phone now. I don't even carry a checkbook anymore, lol. I have shown my friends who have Iphones some of the apps like Google Nav, Sky Map and you can see it that they wish they had this phone.

5. deedub

deedub Well-Known Member

I would recommend it. I have had mine sine Nov. '09 and I have been very happy with it overall. It is an especially good value right now as the prices have gone down so much on it. The 2.1 upgrade has improved the phone for me too.

6. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

When a Hero is "Sluggish" it will still be faster and funner to use than any dumbphone. :D:D

7. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member

I'd get the Rumor. I've been pretty disappointed with my Hero. Dialer lag, receiving phone call lag, UI lag, keyboard lag (I can out-text it, and I am far from a fast texter), apps force-closing (Google Maps is a particular offender in 2.1). By having a Hero I convinced my sister's boyfriend to get one when he switched to Sprint and he's been pretty unhappy with it too. Everybody says "root if you're unhappy" but they must have more free time than I to redo all their settings and reinstall their apps every time they get a new ROM, and still none of the homebrewed ROMs are quirk-free.

8. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

If you like the idea of a "smartphone" and are willing to be a little understanding about the fact that Android OS is still kind of new, then the Hero is great. It is a fun phone to play with. The issues that people experience vary widely. You may have some, you may have none. I am an avid outdoor enthusiast and I take my Hero everywhere I go. So far, so good. I even dropped it in the snow once while boarding. It's held up excellently and I love my my little Hero. :)

9. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

If you are willing to root, android is a must have.

10. tracii_amazinggg

tracii_amazinggg Well-Known Member

Idk if they still come with 1.5 or if they're already on 2.1 when you buy them, but if they're still 1.5 I'd definitely grab one

11. dominicanyor

dominicanyor Well-Known Member

hero rocks.

12. msierra519

msierra519 Well-Known Member

had my hero since march and i love it...stock 1.5 was a bit slow but after the leaked ROM 2.1 is much faster..if your looking for a cheap phone, definetly go Hero..if you go to Best Buy and get the phone..the phone will cost you 29.99 for extending your contract 2 years...and thats 29.99 flat out all instant rebates....

so in my opinion..30 bucks for this phone is wayyyyyyy worth it.. :D

13. aclark414

aclark414 Well-Known Member

Best phone I have had. There will always be something better. If money is an issue, then stick with the Hero. If it's not an issue...then get the EVO.

14. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

^this

15. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed my Hero so far. It has worked nearly flawlessly since October and I am going to keep it till this October and see what is available then. It seems some have issues but mine has worked very well. The 2.1 update was the icing on the cake for me. It really makes the phone great. The only real problem I can think of has been bluetooth. It drops my music every now and again for no apparent reason but other than that its been wonderful.

In my opinion yes its definitely worth it.

16. msgtblack

msgtblack New Member

Replaced a Treo which was nearly worthless as a smart phone. Have had the Hero for two weeks and am very happy. Have carried palm and windows PDAs and the Hero beats them all! My only problem to date was fixed by pulling the battery for 10 seconds and reinserting; can't beat that.

17. dgaf98

dgaf98 Well-Known Member

i just got my hero a week ago and i love it.

i have used windows mobile and palm and this phone and android beat everything i have ever used.

look into rooting the device as it really does make it a completely different experience, but even if you dont the phone is AWESOME!

18. Bnice

Bnice Guest

19. Bat~man

Bat~man Well-Known Member

Its decent, when its new it will be great but after a bit it gets rough.

Mine is 3 months old and 2.1 has really messed it up, there is so much lag in the keyboard, dialer. I sometimes can't find contacts and have to re-add them and then they don't show up in my people, the phone randomly reboots and freezes to where you have to do a battery pull.

It isn't a terrible phone but it does have issues that will give you a headache, likely not at first, but they will creep up on you.

20. tazcollins

tazcollins Well-Known Member

Me and my wife have had ours going on six months. Not rooted and still 1.5. Not going to 2.1 with this phone. Read too many problems and we're happy with it the way it is. The EVO, well I'll let others work out the problems with it for a while. The Hero is a great android learning phone and so is this forum. TC

21. sparro

sparro Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, and keep the replies coming. Also, sprint just dropped the price on the samsung moment. I've seen the specs, but from a user standpoint, how does HERO compare to MOMENT.

22. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

I have never used a moment, but I have read about a ton of issues with it and the hero has lots of dev support, so if you root, the hero is the way to go

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

23. xmattx920x

xmattx920x Active Member

had my hero for a few months now and i have to say i am really impressed. ive used alot of phone os's and i have to say this is by far my favorite. i havent experienced any issues besides ones i have caused my self. but i am running fresh 2.1.2 so i cant comment on running the stock 2.1 all to much. i love it so much that i picked up another one for 30 dollars from best buy for the girlfriend. the phone is a little out dated now that the new fleet of android devices have launched but i feel for the price this phone is BY FAR the best you can get.

24. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

It really depends what's important to you. is a physical keyboard important, or a faster processor both of which the moment has. Or are you looking for a smaller phone,, that concentrates its OS on social networking and sharing information. HTC support is better than Samsungs tho, many learned that from the instinct.

25. IFMISM

IFMISM Well-Known Member

I liked the hero when I had it. The keyboard lag was the only thing that got on my nerves. The moment is a nice phone, but a little plain. HTC sense made the phone good for me.