Stock 2.1 to Fully Rooted Froyo 2.2

1. Ridley

Ridley Active Member

I'm using Windows 7 and the CMD prompt keeps saying "Unknown command" and things of that sort. I see no indication that my phone is actually mounted through /system when I set the option in Clockwork Mod.
  2. Heathsrow

Heathsrow Well-Known Member

I am using Windows Vista, so I can be of no help. Sorry
  3. nbladen

nbladen Member

Hey guys, I'm on step 5 and I'm having trouble with the RUU.exe file finding the phone. Every time I sync the phone with HTC sync, it says it is connected until I open the .exe file to update to 2.2 then it disconnects and the RUU program says it cannot detect the phone...any help?

P.S. I'm on Windows 7 and I was able to start the update, until the computer said it needed to restart to update the bootloader...now I'm having the problem.
  4. Heathsrow

I am using Windows Vista and had a similar experience with the HTC Sync not staying connected, What I did was get the RUU ready to go and then connected my phone, made sure USB Debugging was turned on and then started the RUU. Everything worked after that. It took a couple of minutes and then it was done. My computer never asked to restart, I am not sure if this is something with Windows 7...any one else use Windows 7 to apply the RUU that can help out nbladen????
  5. ronix

ronix Member

Any reason as to in step 3 that I would install the unrevoked-forever.zip several times and still not achieve s-off status? I cannot get s-off. I have root I am sure as I have the little superuser ninja in the app drawer and when I go into recovery and apply the .zip i do not receive errors.

Help would be appreciated. Thank You
  6. Heathsrow

Double Check your SD Card to make sure it is FAT 32 and then I would suggest redownloading the Forever File and trying it again. Mine took on the first attempt.
    ronix likes this.
  7. k.electron

k.electron Well-Known Member

hey pm me an im handle and i'll take u through this.

ok so first let htc sync detect your phone. then run the RUU. the phone will go to a screen where its all black with silver HTC, and then the RUU will give u an error. exit the RUU, but leave the phone connected as is. rerun the RUU. this time it will complete without issue. also, do this on the computer that u had to restart to update the bootloader.

cheers
  8. dc006

dc006 Active Member

I just followed this guide and got my phone running Froyo with root still. I am so excited. This post was exactly what I needed to figure it all out.

Also, I followed the instructions on another post on how to make the RUU work with Windows 7 64-bit and it worked perfectly the first time.

Much appreciated!
    Heathsrow likes this.
  9. dsb9938

dsb9938 Well-Known Member Developer

I'm assuming since I have the OTA on my phone to flash with I can skip the Radio Update?
  10. Mischka7

Mischka7 Well-Known Member

My SD card is not formatted to Fat 32. Is it possible to downgrade to 2.1 w/ S-Off, then do the OTA?

Thanks!
    Mischka
  11. ronix

ronix Member

Heathsrow Thank for the help, I finally figured out what was wrong. On my iMac it unzips the zip right away and you have to rezip, however if the zip file is touched the signature no longer works hard to to off the automatic unzip. Stupid.
  12. Heathsrow

Glad you got it working. I am not familar with MACs. Welcome to your phone Forever!!
  13. Heathsrow

The RUU updated my radio. I am not sure about the OTA, but it should also update the Radio as well. Although I am not sure about it, as I did the RUU and not the OTA.
  14. billybob275

billybob275 Well-Known Member

Worked perfectly! Thanks for this guide!
  15. worknman

worknman Well-Known Member

Hi, I am already rooted with stock 2.1. Do I need to do step 1?
  16. Heathsrow

If you are already rooted with clockworkmod, then no you don't have to.
  17. dsb9938

:D

Okay, I manged to get the RUU installed, and it tore up my phone.

I am back to 2.1p1, restoring the backup now.

I would like to get the OTA zip file and just use that since it doesn't wipe everyything, but haven't found a link yet.

Does anybody have one?

PS - RUU really hated my forgetting to put the stock recovery back :D.

Thanks.
  18. Heathsrow

Sorry to hear that. Here is the link to the OTA update over at XDA. http://androidforums.com/incredible...2-1-fully-rooted-froyo-2-2-a.html#post1484612 Although based on what they are saying you will still need to be completely stock everything for it to work. So either way you will need the Stock Recovery to do it.
    dsb9938 likes this.
  19. dsb9938

20. dsb9938

Um, that link point to this thread I think.
  21. Heathsrow

No Problem...Good Luck!!!
  22. dsb9938

Okay, I had the update in my restore.

Finally, a piece of good luck today.

:p
  23. chevy2dr56

chevy2dr56 Member

Heathsrow likes this.
  24. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

I've already rooted my phone, but not with the unrevoked method, I rooted it before that came out when it. Do I have to do anything else, or do I start at step 1 even though I am already rooted? Will anything weird happen if I try and root my already rooted phone? I don't have clockworkmod, just Superuser.
  25. lpeckazca

lpeckazca New Member

Awesome guide, worked like a charm. I would add (for those that don't know, I didn't) that you need to load HTC Sync on the computer to run the RUU, and the best place to find it is on the DINC itself!