Stock Android 2.2 and Exchange sync

Last Updated:

1. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I were to somehow find a 'bone stock' version of Android 2.2 Froyo (not the Droid X OTA version), would it be able to sync with Microsoft Exchange for my email, calendar and contacts?

Advertisement
  2. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

I was using what came stock on my X and I could sync with my university's email just fine (they use exchange). They even had instructions for how to set it up. I started using Launcher Pro, still works. Not sure if going to a vanilla android would help. What's the problem you're having specifically?

3. _Aardvark

_Aardvark Well-Known Member

From what i understand the 2.2 stock email application (like what comes on the Nexus 1) has Exchange support. I guess this wasn't always the case for the stock email app, so Moto wrote their own email client - which we're now stuck with.

4. nycebo

Aardvark, that's exactly what I was wondering about. I had the Droid 1 and it had exchange support, but I recall reading that it was a non-native app (read, not created by Google). The Droid X definitely seems to still use a Moto app for the email client rather than the google client (again, I'm not talking about gmail access here but exchange access).

ekyle, the reason I'm asking is because I am very much considering going to a plain vanilla android 2.2 install and want to make sure that I'll still have the functionality that I'm used to having currently.

Thanks for the responses though. I guess the trick is to dig up a Nexus and see what the mail client looks like...if there is one.

5. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

Ah, I see now. Let us know what you find. I'd like to know if this is something Android supports natively.

EDIT: Just Googled it and Exchange functionality is listed as a Froyo update. Doesn't seem to mention any particular manufacturer.
    TechApp

6. 2horses

2horses Well-Known Member

Yes, it does.

7. nycebo

Sweet!

8. gtixpress

gtixpress Active Member

I have a new Droid X with stock 2.2 and it has Exchange support. It is listed as Corporate Sync and I use it with Exchange 2010. Email and calendaring come through fine.

9. t.l.reed

t.l.reed New Member

Do you, or anyone else on this thread, have a problem using corporate sync where it makes you the meeting organizer of all your appointments? I switched to Touchdown because of this issue.

10. TMack

TMack Well-Known Member

Works perfectly for me. (Worked fine on 2.1 as well.)

11. thenew3

thenew3 Well-Known Member

We have a psudo exchange activesync environment. (we run novell groupwise, with a Notifylink server acting as the activesync gateway).

With 2.1, I had to use touchdown to get things to sync properly.
    with the leaked 2.2, even 2.3.15 leak, I still had to use touchdown to sync properly. (using native email would not receive email, it would send and get calendar and contacts, but not receive email).

Going to the OTA 2.2 fixed that problem. now email comes through just fine without touchdown.

I will be glad when groupwise goes away in a few months and we will be on a exchange 2010 infrastructure.