• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stock Android or Custom ROM?

I am not sure in regards to the N5. For the N4 I was using a variety of ROMs that had it. Rootbox and Vanir come to mind but I know I used others that had it also. Maybe PSX and/or Purity?

Doh, I misread your last post. :eek:
What mod or app are you using for quiet hours?

I use Tasker for my night profile but I can't get it to mute the haptic feedback within the keyboard. I miss that about quiet hours. It's the one thing missing from my Tasker profile.

Upvote 0
Doh, I misread your last post. :eek:
What mod or app are you using for quiet hours?

I use Tasker for my night profile but I can't get it to mute the haptic feedback within the keyboard. I miss that about quiet hours. It's the one thing missing from my Tasker profile.

Do Not Disturb Premium That is a paid app. I forget what it has that the free app doesn't have. Here is the free app. Do Not Disturb Mode

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Hey, I'm aware that there are factory images available to return to stock after rooting and flashing other roms, if one so desired. But is there an unroot? I so desperately wanna root and go to town with flashing, as I'm normally accustomed to, but also don't want to void the warranty since I just dropped 4 bills for this bad boy. Do I have to wait a year to start flashing, or is there an unroot? Does a jig help in any way for the nexus 5? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hey, I'm aware that there are factory images available to return to stock after rooting and flashing other roms, if one so desired. But is there an unroot? I so desperately wanna root and go to town with flashing, as I'm normally accustomed to, but also don't want to void the warranty since I just dropped 4 bills for this bad boy. Do I have to wait a year to start flashing, or is there an unroot? Does a jig help in any way for the nexus 5? Thanks in advance.

Just to throw this out there, you could actually simply root your device without having to install a custom recovery or change anything other than installing the root binaries.

Additionally, you could take a full Nandroid backup prior to any root activity and squirrel-away a copy of your stock, un-rooted Android setup by:

- assuming you are currently stock
- unlocking your bootloader
- soft-booting (i.e., do not flash it) a custom recovery (via fastboot boot recovery.img)
- take a Nandroid backup of your stock, un-rooted setup
- save said backup off to a safe place
- flash the supersu.zip (or whatever it's called :p)

This would leave your stock recovery intact and give you a restorable Nandroid backup to take you back to stock without having to flash a factory image while at the same time allowing you to install and enjoy having root access.

:)

Upvote 0
Just to throw this out there, you could actually simply root your device without having to install a custom recovery or change anything other than installing the root binaries.

Additionally, you could take a full Nandroid backup prior to any root activity and squirrel-away a copy of your stock, un-rooted Android setup by:

- assuming you are currently stock
- unlocking your bootloader
- soft-booting (i.e., do not flash it) a custom recovery (via fastboot boot recovery.img)
- take a Nandroid backup of your stock, un-rooted setup
- save said backup off to a safe place
- flash the supersu.zip (or whatever it's called :p)

This would leave your stock recovery intact and give you a restorable Nandroid backup to take you back to stock without having to flash a factory image while at the same time allowing you to install and enjoy having root access.

:)

Nice! I appreciate that tidbit of info, but would that be untraceable? I ask just in case I had to do a warranty claim within the year of purchase (standard warranty limit). Trust me, I'm all about experimenting with flashes, (in fact I remember you from the LG Motion threads:)), but considering I just dropped almost 1/2 a grand for this sucker, I basically wanna know that I could still return my device if I needed to- at least for the duration of the warranty. And since rooting alone voids your warranty, I was wondering if there's a way to unroot and set the flashing counter back to zero, so that if I needed to send my phone back to google, I would have no problems within the warranty time-frame. My apologies if my initial inquiry was ambiguous. Good lookin out.;)

Upvote 0
Nice! I appreciate that tidbit of info, but would that be untraceable? I ask just in case I had to do a warranty claim within the year of purchase (standard warranty limit). Trust me, I'm all about experimenting with flashes, (in fact I remember you from the LG Motion threads:)), but considering I just dropped almost 1/2 a grand for this sucker, I basically wanna know that I could still return my device if I needed to- at least for the duration of the warranty. And since rooting alone voids your warranty, I was wondering if there's a way to unroot and set the flashing counter back to zero, so that if I needed to send my phone back to google, I would have no problems within the warranty time-frame. My apologies if my initial inquiry was ambiguous. Good lookin out.;)

There are ways of restoring back to stock and Google/your carrier/your insurance company will have no way of knowing it was previously rooted.

That applies whether you choose to root the stock ROM or flash a custom ROM.

Voiding your warranty isn't something I'd let prevent you from rooting.

Upvote 0
Normally I'd agree with you on that last part, but those 4 bills are telling me otherwise. Especially since this phone gotta last me quite a while to make it worth while. Trust me, after the warranty's up I'mma be a flash machine, but till then I might just roll with the stock JUST IN CASE. Kinda nice to be on stock for a change anyway. Many thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones