Stock apps and rooting

Last Updated:

1. killtheaquitted

killtheaquitted Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I know you can remove those bogus stock apps by rooting the hero but I have a slightly different question that I couldn't find in other threads. I am interested in rooting my hero just to remove the bloatware and then unroot the phone back to its original ROM. I am not a huge fan of tinkering with my electronics because it voids warranties, possibly bricks devices, and causes trouble with firmware updates, but it really ticks me off that sprint forces these apps on us and then makes them impossible to uninstall. Imagine getting a new PC and not being able to remove crap like wild tangent and the 20 free trials for programs you don't want or need. I know this isn't news to anyone here, but every time I see that Nascar app I get irritated. Seriously sprint? Nascar? Anyway, my questions are 1.) is root/unroot possible to remove bloat and return to original state 2.) has anyone had success uninstalling pieces of the bloat without rooting? I don't want to uninstall anything integral to the phone like the stock messages app, but Nascar has gots to go!

Advertisement
  2. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

Hear what your saying you need to root and then remove bloatware and then unroot. Even if that is possible, but because you have removed the apps you have voided your warranty.
    Root your phone and remove the bloatware and when you need to return it flash the RUU.

3. killtheaquitted

Seriously? removing sprint tv and nascar would void my warranty? Lame Sprint, lame.

4. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

Well yeah because you rooted to begin with i mean the best thing would be just root guy and unrooting is soo easy. Flash the FRESH rom and your good to go and i promise you wont regret it

5. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

I'll be getting a Hero in a couple months and I do plan on rooting and flashing to a Fresh ROM..but I have a very simple question.. I see posts from people that want to root mainly to remove the Nascar app.. I have seen posts from people requesting the NFL app to be added back to a custom ROM.. my question is why does everyone seem to hate the nascar app? and why does everyone seem to love the NFL app?? am I going to be the only one to ADD the nascar app back in to a Fresh ROM and leave NFL out? Personally I like Nascar and hate football.. or is the Nascar app that much of a Pig?

6. killtheaquitted

I think football just has a larger fanbase. I actually like the NFL app a lot. I can't comment on the Nascar app because I have never opened it. IMO neither the NFL or Nascar app should be required to stay on the phone. I'm sure there are plenty of Hero owners that would love not to have an NFL app taking up space on their phone. Sprint blows on this one.

7. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

I wouldn't goes as far as saying that Sprint blows because of the apps being installed.. it would be nice if you could uninstall them or at the very least make it so they don't load in the background without rooting.. but I also understand why they have the apps installed.. Sprint has a contract with the NFL to provide the service on the phones.. just like Sprint has a HUGE stake in Nascar (Nextel Cup) so having an app on the phones to promote Nascar (and generate $$ for them) is not out of the question.. it would be nice if you had the option of removing them if it wasn't something you liked or wanted... since that isn't an option... root the sucker and remove what ya want or keep what ya want..