Stock apps not functioning properlySupport

1. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member Contributor

I generally do not use many stock apps or bloatware on any of my phones.

However, I have been trying to use the stock email app so I didn't have to load K9 or some other email app. Unfortunately, it isn't working for some reason.

It will receive emails just fine, I can read the messages just fine. If I try to reply it locks up and crashes with a "unfortunately email has stopped working" message.

I've cleared the cache and force stopped then restarted, still no help.

I am also not able to get the S Health app (the pedometer app) working either, it will not let me advance past the settings screen where you enter your name/stats.

I'm trying to avoid doing a factory wipe or warranty swap for the phone, so I'm hoping others may have had a similar issue and found a way to make it work.

Model: SCH-R970
    Build: JDQ39.R970VXUAMF5
    Android 4.2.2

Advertisement
    :
  2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

How long have you had the phone? Did you just install any firmware updates?
  3. LaTuFu

I have only had the phone for 2-3 weeks. It automatically updated firmware when I set up the phone.

I did not do a factory reset after it did the update.
  4. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

Do you have a custom recovery?
    Yes: Wipe cache and Dalvik cache
    No: Boot into recovery and CAREFULLY choose the option that wipes the cache.

If those don't help, you may have to factory reset since you've already attacked the programs individually.
  5. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

I had several issues when I first got my S4. They started straight out of the box. Some of them were with Stock apps. After beating on the phone for quite some time, I decided to factory reset before taking the device back. The difference was night and day. Everything worked properly after the factory reset. I know it is a PITA, but may be worth the effort. At least if you do that and it doesn't work, you can go back to the store and claim it just don't work.
  6. LaTuFu

I was hoping someone would say something else, but I think you are right. I will reset this weekend and see what happens. I should have done it as soon as the update finished.
  7. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Why not avoid the hassle and use K-9? It's much better than the stock email app.
  8. LaTuFu

I've thought about that too. I have always liked K9. But I like the fact that the S4 needs very little third party support to work well.

Which is not something you could say about the S1. I didn't use anything stock on that phone.