Stock Browser bloated to 50mb!Support

Last Updated:

1. Dunkinmcnut

Dunkinmcnut New Member This Topic's Starter

Whats the deal?
    I have been deleting apps the past month because I kept getting "running out space notifications." I've been pretty confused about what the deal is. Tonight I was managing my apps because I have had the notification all day along with a full text message notification and noticed the stock browser was at the top of the list at 50.3mb!

I cleared the data and it knocked it down to 183kb. Lost my bookmarks but nothing else. Is it really getting that big by saving cached images of the sites I visit? I'm not downloading anything and don't have multiple windows open. I visit 3 or 4 sites regularly (3 are forums and Facebook).

How do keep this from happening again? Any help would be appreciated.

I searched for a similar topic but couldnt find anything. Maybe my search-fu just sucks.

Advertisement
  2. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

If you are rooted you can get an app like 'cachemate' and schedule it to clear cache daily. Don't know if there is an unrooted cache app. Other than that just clear your browser cache once a week.

3. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

you dont have to clear the data. just clear the cache and yu wont lose your book marks lol.

4. thegadgetguroo

thegadgetguroo Well-Known Member

Quick app cache cleaner works on non rooted phones

MrDeeJ likes this.
  5. LRMaggot

LRMaggot Active Member

Afternoon all

I have been having this problem also. Stock browser grown to over 10mb now but there appears to be not cache to clear, its all data. My other apps appear to be doing the same thing also. I have no cache in gmail, market, facebook etc.

There must be some somewhere as I have now got a space warning but have not installed any other apps.

Regards

Steve.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks Well-Known Member

For me, apps with larger amounts of cached data include browser, news-related, & youtube

I use Quick System Info PRO (free in Market), which includes more sort options than Manage Applications. Related to size, you can sort by Cache, for example. You can also specify sort order; in this case, Descending displays largest at top of list.

QSI allows you to clear all cache, as well.