Stock browser (discussion/help)?Support

Last Updated:

1. hilker09

hilker09 Well-Known Member

So, wondering how everybody feels about the stock browser? I've enjoyed using Dolphin in the past, but the stock browser seems to work pretty well. I've got both of them on my home screen now, and am using them both for the time being.

Was going to try Chrome, but with no Flash support, I'm going to wait on that one for a future beta.

Advertisement
  2. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

I am happy enough with it and don't plan on using anything else at least for now. I only do a little browsing so I don't need special features and things like that.
  3. drparton21

drparton21 Active Member

It seems decent enough, but I enjoyed Dolphin HD on my OG Evo, so I installed it. I'm also going to install Skyfire just because of how well it handles flash videos.
  4. davvy1856

davvy1856 Well-Known Member

I really like the stock browser. I've been using the ICS browser on my XOOM for awhile now and love the quick controls.

My only issue was that at first I couldn't find how to launch incognito (which is part of the menu on the Xoom) but found it when you view the tabs. So all is good!
  5. spdkilz02

spdkilz02 Well-Known Member

I like using the Dolphin browser.
  6. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

The stock browser is pretty decent. Strange that it had flash turned off by default. But overall this is no better than browsing with the OG Evo.

I switched over a day ago to XScope. Sadly, XScope 5 (a version that is nearly 2 years old) is apparently incompatible. So I have to use the newest version for compatibility reasons.

In any event, the ICS menu button across the bottom is REALLY getting on my nerves! This phone does NOT have a 4.7 inch screen if that bar is always displayed! Seriously, when that bar is displayed, the screen size is actually slightly smaller than my OG Evo! In other words, aside from the screen being nicer, there's really no big difference between browsing with the stock browser here, and using any browser in the OG Evo.
  7. caborobo

caborobo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is a browser issue, but I tried a login for a site I use for work and I get this error:[​IMG]Any ideas? My OG EVO loaded the site just fine.
  8. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Mine did that the first few time I tried to browse with that particular browser. I really don't know if I did anything special, but it went away. :eek:

Give Maxthon Mobile Browser a try, it's pretty good. That was my browser of choice on the OG. ;)

caborobo likes this.
  9. caborobo

caborobo Well-Known Member

Thanks. Maxthon did the same thing. This is a problem for me.:confused:
  10. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

stock browser is decent but i'm LOVING the Chrome beta, it integrates with my desktop chrome SOOOO well
  11. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

I've heard REALLY good things about Android ICS & the Chrome Beta. Soon as my LTE shows up I'm going to rock it and I normally rock the stock browser.
    Covert_Death likes this.
  12. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I like the new inverted screen rendering option. It is a nice little touch, and makes night browsing or low light browsing easier on the eyes. Read mode is great too, gives you just the text without the frills.

[​IMG] I also like the incognito tabs option since I don't want my phone keeping history, passwords, form data, cookies, or any other data in case it gets lost or stolen.

[​IMG] The browser overall is snappier.

[​IMG] I dislike how pinch to zoom now requires the page to re-draw. It un-focuses and refocuses the text and entire page (sometimes blinks), it is annoying.

[​IMG] I dislike how when scrolling up the page the top menu and bottom menu bars always pop up.

[​IMG]I also miss Pinch to zoom out to go to the tab browser.
  13. Y2Dre

Y2Dre Active Member

I love the desktop integration with Chrome. But, the stock browser is just smoother to me. I still plan on playing around with Chrome to see if I can tweak it to suit me. But, in my opinion, pages render smoother with the stock browser.
  14. StringerBellRinger

StringerBellRinger Active Member

Me too. I always liked Dolphin on my OG EVO but I really like how Chrome synchs up with my desktop bookmarks. The default browser seems nice enough too.
  15. wopper81

wopper81 New Member

Just wondering if my web performance is normal for this phone or if I have a problem? When the web is working good, its good. When its not working good, it can be ugly. It just runs so slow at times. I have had a few times that pages won't finish loading. Videos have to stop to buffer. Just experiencing problems I never had with my old EVO. I work outside so I don't have a building blocking my signal. Can sprint do anything to check the phone to see if its ok? Thanks
  16. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Call them and have them do a data reset on the device. Also, find out if they are doing any tower maintenance in your area.

I'll have 700kbs around here one moment and a crawling 50kbs another. The towers here are overloaded. I can't wait till I move for graduate school.
  17. guywithbluepants

guywithbluepants Well-Known Member

Are they asking us to check it??
  18. KenjiSpencer

KenjiSpencer Well-Known Member

When you're sending/receiving data, you're competing with everyone else for the bandwidth of the cell tower(s) nearest you. So, if lots of other people in your area happen to be surfing the web when you are, your browser (and everyone else's) will run slower, regardless of how strong your signal is. That could be what you're seeing.
  19. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums, wopper81! :)

The good news is that Sprint is upgrading over 38,000 towers and their infrastructure within the next year or so to address these concerns. Along with LTE, we'll also see a boost in 3G performance in terms of speed, range and simultaneous subscribers served.

And the infrastructure upgrade is a big part of that, some people live near decent towers but once the traffic hits the local Sprint internal net, it clogs there. Right now, it's all a patchwork quilt of troubles.

But the build-out is underway and going well and Sprint calls it Network Vision.
  20. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

I have been satisfied with my 3G performance from this phone, which appears to be better than the 3G, at least more reliable, was on my OG evo.
  21. Gladius Nova

Gladius Nova Active Member

I have found that Chrome works significantly faster than the stock browser and Dolphin which I use on my tab and my OG Evo.
  22. vicshalls

vicshalls Well-Known Member

Is anyone having issues with the stock browser locking up? Mine keeps giving me a white screen and the last time it sent an error report to htc. Wonderingt if it was just me or if this is becomig wide spred.
  23. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Well-Known Member

No problems like that for me.
  24. bearballz

bearballz Well-Known Member

Stock browser is nice, really have no complaints. But I switched over to the chrome browser and I'm really digging it.
  25. SoSickSilvia

SoSickSilvia Active Member

I used the stock browswer for a full week before switching to chrome. The stock browswer never gave me problems.