Stock Browser Mobile vs Full

Last Updated:

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a setting somewhere in the stock browser that will force pages to open in full version instead of the mobile version?

Advertisement
  2. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

There is a trick to this. Okay the stock browser...can be set to desktop view, instead of mobile view. However, even when you go into the browser and change the settings, you will notice if you visit www.google.com or www.yahoo.com... the browser will still take you into the mobile view....even with the settings set at desktop.

Here is the trick.
    First off, set the phone to desktop view in the browsers settings, meaning uncheck the mobile view.

Now the next step is the trick. Lets say you go to google.com and it opens mobile view still, even with the browser setting unchecked mobile. once google opens, scroll all the way down...and click on classic. This opens desktop view.
    You aren't finished yet, because when you refresh the page, or open a new google window...you are back to stupid mobile view. So here is the trick:

When you click classic view, inside the actual google homepage. Your browsers adress bar will change from www.google.com.... to something really long and complicated. Place your finger over the adress bar, do a long hold, and do copy.
    Once you copied this new address... create a bookmark for google, and paste this long link into the bookmark. Now everytime you open your browser, your homepage will go to the classic desktop view for google.
    I had to do the same thing for yahoo.com and a few other pages I visit.

Seems like even with the browser set to desktop view...the pages still load in mobile view. Just copy and paste the classic/desktop view link into a bookmark, and your problem is solved...just make sure you access those pages via that bookmark.
    ALso if yahoo or google is your homepage...when you set your homepage settings...paste that long link into there!

3. lexluthor

Where's the setting to uncheck mobile view?

4. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Wools sorry I'm getting my phones and browsers mixed up.

Just do that copy and paste trick...it should solve the problem for your most frequently visited sites that default to Mobil

Opera 5.1. And dolphin HD. Are other browsers u can download from market.

5. lexluthor

Really? So there's no setting in the stock browser to tell it to default to Desktop view?

6. dissident75

dissident75 Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if there is a setting that easy sets to default to desktop view. Its all in how the browser works. The browser sends an identifier string with each page request. The server than pushes the mobile version of the site. Generally by clicking the link at the bottom of most sites to go to the full version it stores the info, probably in a cookie, that is also sent with page requests to the server and it serves the full site.

So short of a actual hack on the browser to change the browser identifier strings its unlikely to get it to default. Generally for my most browsed sites I'll click the "full site" or equivalent link, the simply book mark the full page when it loads.

Pretty simple actually.

And before you say "Why do we need those browser identifiers?" they exist for a good reason. Often sites are optimized for different browsers so the page code could be different if you were surfing on IE versus Firefox. In the modern age of browsing phones, mobile sites are optimized for low power processors and much simplified or optimized layouts.

7. lexluthor

Why would you be surprised if there was such a setting? Droid x stock browser and htc incredible stock do, xscope does, dolphin does, etc

Really, this browser doesn't?

8. dissident75

dissident75 Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised because the browser is samsung customized. And look at the ringtone issue in the contacts. I don't have the greatest faith in some of their software. But there you go if dolphin has it, download it and problem solved. That was your issue right?

9. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

Except Dolphin is extremely slow and lags very badly. Had to swith to Opera, personally.

10. lexluthor

Well, it's my wife's phone. I'd rather keep her as stock as possible to keep things simple.

I'll consider installing xScope (which I use) or just leave it with the mobile version of pages.

Not that big a deal, I'm just surprised it doesn't have this option.

I did see somewhere else that in advance settings, you could change the uastring to Desktop, but it sounded like for, at least a couple of people, it rendered the browser inoperable until a master reset was done. Not risking that.

11. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

too lazy to read the entire thread (yeah, that's lazy) but if you type about:debug into the address bar and type go, new settings will be available in the browser. It might be about:config

One of the settings is UAstring which allows you to change the stock browser to desktop mode. Unfortunately, this setting is reset when the browser is closed so this is one reason I use Dolphin HD

12. psz

psz Well-Known Member

For the record:

Skyfire Browser has a button that lets you quick-pick Mobile, Desktop, or Default ID for "telling" pages what version to load. Hit the button, chose from the three options, and you're done (No going into submenus or anything)

(This along with Flash support are my two favourite features)

13. floepie

floepie Well-Known Member

^^ What he said. Some of you above are confusing two entirely separate variables. The first is simply changing the default view from a mobile view, where the browser takes the data and rearranges it into a view that is more narrow to fit the mobile screen versus a desktop view, which allows for more horizontal scrolling.

The second is changing the User Agent. The user agent of a browser tells the server what sort of browser is being used to access it. The android browser has its own user agent, which requests that the server send to it the mobile-formatted version of the website, as long as there is one to send. By changing the user agent of the browser to match that of a desktop browser, the server will send the data formatted that is generally more media-rich and generally less navigable with mobile browsers. But, because mobile browsers zoom into text with relative ease and 3G speeds are virtually broadband, having a mobile user agent is not as much of concern as it once was.