1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Browser Plug-In's????

Last Updated:

1. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On my Droid Incredible (I'm assuming many other phones as well), the Stock Internet Browser mentions "Plug-Ins" in the settings. I figure, this being Android, public developers have created all these cool plug-ins for their browsers.....

Where are they????

Sidenote:
    Yes, I know Dolphin browser has plug-ins. Most of them are just lame skins of plain primary colors (no offense). I was just curious where the Stock plug-in's are since it seems to have the capability.

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

The plugins mean Java etc., not some 3rd party plugins you can add to the browser.

3. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

There actually isn't a Java plugin for Android. The only plugin I actually know of is Adobe Flash.

4. Stupifier

Well...thats lame. Thanks for the info. Maybe I should just go rant at the 3rd party browser developers to create more useful plug-ins......

5. aminaked

I think that you're referring to "Add-ons", like with Firefox you have AdBlock, Flashblock, etc. Plugins are different...Java, Flash, Silverlight

6. Stupifier

Meh, same thing pretty much. I've seen both terms used for varying programs. Rather not really debate it though....fyi, winamp uses the term "Plug-In"

7. muab

muab Well-Known Member

In Chrome "plug-ins" are basically Apps for the browser.

My son is a developer of a kick-ass encryption plug-in for Chrome so people can email or chat or journal in a secure format from wherever they are and over any network.

Proud dad here

:D

I would think that Xscope or Dolphin or someone would be trying to get some of the functionality like Java or ActiveX cranking on their platforms to be more competitive.

8. aminaked

The names are just semantics, so I agree....no need to argue.

Getting Java applets and ActiveX running on Android would be a huge undertaking--bigger than Flash. It would probably require Oracle & Microsoft to support the efforts.