Stock Camera app on Moto Droid: Disable shutter sound?

Last Updated:

1. fumoh

fumoh Member

The one thing I can't figure out is how to disable the shutter sound when I snap a pic.

Anyone know how to turn it off?

2. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

I don't think you disable it.......but look on marketplace and you'll find other camera apps that take pictures silently
  3. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

There was a big fuss about this a while ago... most camera and cell phone manufacturers are eliminating the option of the silent phone. They were stating that it was a "privacy" issue, since you could be taking pictures of people who were unaware of it.

Don't know if that is what is going on here or not... but I'd say it is likely related.
  4. fumoh

fumoh Member

I've heard about the privacy issues as well, but I had never seen it implemented on a device before now. I'll have to scour the forum for a decent replacement camera app, unless you guys have any good suggestions off the top of your head :)

5. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

The one I keep hearing about is called "Snap Photo pro"... but I don't have any hands on experience with it. It is a paid app.

Snap photo Review

I'll probably buy it on friday.
  6. CnA

CnA Member

I'm all for not being able to have a silent camera. One example is having a phone in the gym locker room. It's too easy for someone to snap a naked picture then post their victim's pictures up on the internet. This is a huge privacy issue.

Any shutter sound going off in a locker room should result in a collective beatdown of the perp.
  7. fumoh

fumoh Member

Eh... I don't like the idea that I'm unable to disable the sound just because the app has the potential to be abused. That's bullshit. Besides, it doesn't make a sound when the phone is on vibrate, so what's the point? The perv'll just set his/her phone to silent and snap all the pics he/she wants ;P

Regardless, the sound is incredibly loud and annoying. I don't want to have turn down my sound, snap a picture, and then turn it back up again. That's just a bit too tedious for me to snap a quick pic of some friends having a good time.

Anyway, now we're getting off topic. My question's been answered. Thanks everyone!
  8. ADMAN

ADMAN New Member

Um. What are you talking about? On your main screen, just slide the sound to off. Then, open the camera function. Take a picture. No sound. :D
  9. drumcrazy

drumcrazy Active Member

Wow, that works like a charm. Something so simple, too :)
  10. iawd1

iawd1 Well-Known Member

11. Jef

Jef Active Member

BTW - Snap Photo Pro says it's not compatible with the Droid. It sounded promising though
  12. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

On most camera's it wouldn't be an issue I don't think, the ambient noise around you could easily drown out a shutter, but with the obnoxious, tearing sound of the droids? Whew, tough to drown that out. :)
  13. Bobcat_52

Bobcat_52 Member

Snap Photo Pro doesn't work on the Droid. I just installed Beautiful Widgets and used the silent button to turn the sound on and off. Or you can spend a little more time with the power off menu.
  14. foxtrickle

foxtrickle New Member

How did I disable the camera shutter sound? Delete /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg (you'll need root access)
    hellbringer82 likes this.
  15. Funintegras

Funintegras Active Member

Use the voume buttons, adjust ring volume all the way down when in camera mode
  16. tinc

tinc New Member

Shutter silenced. Check

How to disable flash?
  17. tinc

tinc New Member

never mind.

Went to camera settings. Flash Mode right in front of my face.

Now I have to decide on a proper Spy name.
  18. Hongki

Hongki New Member

One way without downloading an application is to press and hold down on to power/lock button on the top of the phone and selecting silent mode. when the phone is silent the camera won't make any noise.
  19. NexuSix

NexuSix Well-Known Member

Vignette>camera hardware settings>shutter sound>silent

Photo Illusion>Settings>Shutter sound(enable or disable)
  20. wmtoandroid

wmtoandroid Well-Known Member

I'm so glad that Htc added the option to turn off the shutter sound or the camera component of my phone would have been useless to me.

There is nothing more aggravating about taking pictures of sleeping animals or your sleeping kids and having the Thunder clap of your shutter ruin it all.

If a pervert wants to take locker room pictures or upskirts, they would most certainly be using a micro camera that doesn't even have a shutter noise to begin with and would be easier to hide compared to a phone.
  21. zhonglin_liu

zhonglin_liu Member

You can search silent spy camera in the market, it not only disable the sound, also hide your preview and record file.

22. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

This works, but I still get the (less annoyingly loud) focus lock sound, anyone know which soundfile this is? BTW I like this method more since I don't have to keep fumbling with phone volumes, or forget to turn it back on after using the camera.
  23. usernow

usernow New Member

Vignette's silent setting still makes the shutter sound on my i1. It's vibrate setting makes the shutter sound, then vibrates. lol
  24. I find 'SpyShot' quite convenient. It's free and in the market. It turns off the shutter sounds. And the flash. It blacks out the screen. And it turns the entire screen into the shutter button. So no awkward fumbling necessary.
  25. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It's an option in Bugless Beast 0.6.1.