• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock Contacts App woes...

DekonR

Lurker
Aug 5, 2011
I'm coming from an HTC Evo 3D and the contacts app there was great. I really miss a few things not present (or at least I have not figured out) and am wondering if there are work-arounds or a better contacts app.

My first struggle was syncing my Facebook account to the device. Unfortunately, I had to use UberSync for Facebook because the default Facebook sync method fails on 2 fronts. #1) Damn near unusable low res photos and #2) Imports ALL my Facebook friends to contacts even if I choose to only Sync existing contacts. I really don't understand how this can be on a high end device like this. Thankfully, UberSync fixed both these problems, but I hope they fix them in a future update.

One thing I used to be able to do on my HTC was manually sync a contact with a Facebook friend that the Automatic "Existing Contacts Only" Sync did not find, usually because I used only used a first name or nickname for the contact. I had to rename that contact to match to their Facebook name and re-Sync.

A couple things I have NOT found work-arounds for are simply choosing which picture and name and you want to appear for a contact. Many of my contacts have a different picture and/or name for Facebook, Google, and "Device" There's no easy way to just select which one shows up. It defaults to the Facebook profile pic if there is one. If you don't want that pic the only way to change it is to load in a new one, even if there's already another picture available on of the other accounts. If you want to switch back to the Facebook pic, you can't unless you remove the other pictures. Same with names. If I have them in as a nickname, I can't change it to show their Facebook name unless I manually type it in.

Anyone else not happy with the contacts app?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones