• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stock CWM Backup

TryingToRoot

Android Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2011
Savannah, Ga
I have had several people pm me stating that they had forgotten to make a stock backup in CWM, so I thought I would upload one for all to have.

http://db.tt/tm9GUJVe

1. Download file
2. Go to /sdcard/download
3. Long press on file
4. Choose unzip
5. After its done, go to extracted
6. Long press on folder and click move
7. Back out to root of SD card
8. Navigate to clockworkmod/backup
9. Hit paste and you have your stock rooted backup.

P.S. do no change the name of the file.

Have fun!
This is a Boost backup

Found easier way. Put SD card into computer's sd reader (or connect phone in mass storage mode) then extract his zip file to the following path on the sd card. (create the folders if they are not present on your SD card)

[root of sd card]/clockworkmod/backup/2012-03-09.00.37.46\[CONTENTS OF ZIP FILE GO HERE]

Much easier then fiddling with a file browser on the phone. :D

His method is suitable for those who wish to download and use the restore when they have no PC present or lack the data cable/reader for microSD card.

Upvote 0
I ran it my self and the Boost logo comes up on boot up (my phone is already screwed up due to a defective 3G Radio/bad firmware so I was willing to take the risk. :p ). If this was a sprint restore I would have either boot looped or saw the sprint boot logo instead....So yes this is most likely the Boost version. :p

The only thing I noticed is that it's unable to format or mount SD-EXT...most likely because my SD card doesn't have any EXT partitions on it. (I had since removed the EXT partitions after my Prevail died as there is no rom on the Marquee that moves apps to SD in a manner similar to kouma's kernel or at least one that I know of. :p )

Upvote 0
when you're in rom manager and it asks you if you've installed a cwm based recovery manually it gives me 2 versions 2.x or 3.x, what do these mean?

Don't use rom manager right now. Koush hasn't done a new build yet that includes our recovery image. You're better off sticking with the stand alone recovery with no rom manager for the time. Use Ti Backup or something similar to extract backups from your nandroid.

To answer your question, those are older versions of cwm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones