• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root stock Dolby?? apk? or close??

playdoe

Jan 25, 2015
Hey guys...so was finally able to fix my phone after sending it in and getting a new one. So I've managed to install Philz and am very satisfied with the ROMS...especially the debloated one. One thing I do miss though is the Dolby plus that comes with the phone...makes the music sound great in my car. I've actually tried finding the app to no avail and did actually find a version of it but it wasn't the one the phone came with...more like a rock/pop/blah blah./..and not as many options. Does anyone happen to have the apk or zip where I can just reinstall the Dolby Digital Plus back?? I'd greatly appreciate it!! thanks

Hey guys...so was finally able to fix my phone after sending it in and getting a new one. So I've managed to install Philz and am very satisfied with the ROMS...especially the debloated one. One thing I do miss though is the Dolby plus that comes with the phone...makes the music sound great in my car. I've actually tried finding the app to no avail and did actually find a version of it but it wasn't the one the phone came with...more like a rock/pop/blah blah./..and not as many options. Does anyone happen to have the apk or zip where I can just reinstall the Dolby Digital Plus back?? I'd greatly appreciate it!! thanks
I guess they removed it from KK 4.4.2. I am not sure if the one from JB 4.1.2 will work but you can grab it from the B05 rom found here

Upvote 0
I think i know why it won't work. Will post a flashable in a while that should fix it for the deodexed version.

edit: the reason it won't work is because the apk's in /system/vendor/app are not deodexed and the framework is. I am currently having problems deodexing them but will continue trying. Not sure what the problem is. Worst case, I can make a debloated version that is not deodexed so the dolby app can work.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
I think i know why it won't work. Will post a flashable in a while that should fix it for the deodexed version.

edit: the reason it won't work is because the apk's in /system/vendor/app are not deodexed and the framework is. I am currently having problems deodexing them but will continue trying. Not sure what the problem is. Worst case, I can make a debloated version that is not deodexed so the dolby app can work.
Super R your the man...I thank you so much for trying and all of you guys...all of the apps that come with stock are useless but I enjoy the dolby app. Actually installing Viper4Android is what bricked my phone the last time. The music plays well in my car but the dolby gives me a bit of more control. I thought it would be a simple apk and it seems not so once again i thank you guys for trying !! I was considering just flashing stock and just uninstalling everything but theres still so much bloatware it makes no sense. I saw a question a while back in one of the forums that remained unanswered about kitkat merging apps/or storage with media storage...don't know if I'm saying it correctly but what does it mean? And one last question is it me or does anyone notice the phones LTE being a bit slower with kitkat. I live in New York so signal is barely a problem buI tried this
*****Go to the phone dial, type in *#*#4636#*#* and a tab should pop up. Click phone information and scroll down. Click and change the preferred network to LTE/GSM auto (PRL) then click home. YOUR SPEEDS SHOULD BE TWICE AS FAST!!

Lte /GSM is one of the options on the phone but it won't allow it. i did LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) and the speed has since then improved!!

Actually scratch that. i did some research and found out that LTE/GSM/WCDMA option is much better as WCDMA gets better speeds than CDMA
theres also a lte/wcdma option also....gsm is apparently 2G

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Super R your the man...I thank you so much for trying and all of you guys...all of the apps that come with stock are useless but I enjoy the dolby app. Actually installing Viper4Android is what bricked my phone the last time. The music plays well in my car but the dolby gives me a bit of more control. I thought it would be a simple apk and it seems not so once again i thank you guys for trying !! I was considering just flashing stock and just uninstalling everything but theres still so much bloatware it makes no sense. I saw a question a while back in one of the forums that remained unanswered about kitkat merging apps/or storage with media storage...don't know if I'm saying it correctly but what does it mean? And one last question is it me or does anyone notice the phones LTE being a bit slower with kitkat. I live in New York so signal is barely a problem buI tried this
*****Go to the phone dial, type in *#*#4636#*#* and a tab should pop up. Click phone information and scroll down. Click and change the preferred network to LTE/GSM auto (PRL) then click home. YOUR SPEEDS SHOULD BE TWICE AS FAST!!

Lte /GSM is one of the options on the phone but it won't allow it. i did LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) and the speed has since then improved!!

Actually scratch that. i did some research and found out that LTE/GSM/WCDMA option is much better as WCDMA gets better speeds than CDMA

ViPER4Android - I installed .4x like a regular apk (installs libs?) & opened it. Then pushed to system/app. Rebooted & rocked out! I'm running Warp4G tho.. FYI

Upvote 0
I live in New York so signal is barely a problem buI tried this

Do NOT try this on Warp4G! Lmfao. Found out last night, Switching to WCDMA anything will remove calling/text capabilities. Had to redo dialer code & set back to LTE/CDMA (only) to restore calls/msgs as a full wipe & restore did NOT fix the problem.. FYI

Upvote 0
Another +1 for viper4android . Im not running it now because of a full restore i had to do. But the only downside was for whatever reason... My headphone adjustments never changed how the audio played. When i would change the external speaker settings that was the only way to change how my audio sounded with head phones in. I don't know if it was a bug or not or just the version I was using But sounded great

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones