• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stock email app not showing all emails

Curls

Lurker
May 26, 2013
I am using the stock email app to view my hotmail messages. I have a lot of email in my inbox but only the last two days show up on my phone. There is no setting I can find to fix this. Does anyone know what else to do? An example is a hotel reservation that I have saved to my inbox. I want to be able to view that at the hotel when I arrive but since it is a month old, I can only get it via the computer. For such a sophisticated phone, this is crap.

Hi Curls and welcome to AF. I'm sure that your PC mail reader is set to remove mail from the server. In other words, once you download it to your PC it isn't setting on the mail server any longer. Thus, it's not there for your phone to retrieve. I have both my phone and my PC set to remove mail from the server. I almost always grab my mail from my phone. If I should happen to get my mail from my PC, I can't get it on my phone because it's no longer on the server.

I hope that clears up the problem you are experiencing. Have fun and thanks for joining and using these forums.

Upvote 0
I believe the problem is that tue stock email app will only show you emails that are 2-4 weeks old. Why they chose to implement that I don't know.

It's the same with yahoo. Using the stock email app my inbox is empty, but using the yahoo email app I have emails from last year.

You can always use your browser to view your hotmail emails.

Upvote 0
I am having same problem. I do not remove old emails. I am using outlook.com and have 500 emails in my inbox. The email app is only showing 4 or 5 emails. I installed the out look app and it seems to show all email and if I log directly in outlook.com I can see all mail. The problem seems to be with the defaults email app. I prefer to use rhetoric default app if I can get it to work. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
For such a sophisticated phone, this is crap.
That's hardly the case. The default email app is by design set up for the typical consumer, those who don't often alter the settings or options in their apps. It's a matter of catering to the public's tastes. You on the other hand, want an email client with more features but don't wish to change to something other than the default mail app. As an example, I use 'K-9 Mail' which has a setting to load a wide range of messages from my mail service to my phone -- between 25 to 10.000, or if I really want to bog down internal storage, all messages.

Upvote 0
I solved my problem. There is an option "period to sync email" the default setting was 3 days and once I set to all I have all my email. Tom
Thank you so much! I've been having this same problem! When I'm away from my laptop, I sometimes have important emails I need to access, so it was driving me crazy that I couldn't see them! I just wanted you to know that you helped me figure out a problem I wasn't able to figure out! And I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, lol :)

Upvote 0
Not helping in my case. LG G4, T-mobile. Will have to call tech support.
Tom Drury: What do you mean "...I set to all"? I cannot find such a command or option. Only specific days. I'm now on manual and so far it seems to work.

3rd party email apps work fine, and I use one for my business side. However, but I'd sill like to use the stock for my many other accounts. Very annoying to see only newer emails and I actually watch as it deleted my previous ones. They are still available- web-based.

Upvote 0
Fix

For anyone still having troubles, I found that swiping from the bottom of the screen upwards; while on the inbox screen; caused a loading and it then updated and showed all my emails within the inbox.

Hope this helps, god speed finding more solutions to your android related problems.
(Anyone concerned this works on my galaxy s5 neo)

Upvote 0
hi,i am new to this forum/site. my name is etienne. i have an email problem.
i am using a samsung s4 mini with version 4.2.2 jellybean.
i setup my isp email and domain email using pop3.
it was working ok.
i recently formatted my phone back to factory default.
when i setup my email accounts again, no emails are showing up in my inbox.
i changed sync setting, retrieval settings, but to no avail.
if i send an email from my phone, it works and i can see the mail in my sent items.
my inbox is completely blank.
i don't mind if older email are not showing, but i really need new mail to show in my inbox.
i hope i was clear enough. hope there is a solution.
kind regards,
etienne

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones