Stock email crash issueSupport

Last Updated: 2010-09-09 13:05:28
  1. szalasny

szalasny New Member

I have used the stock email app, and setup four email accounts on my Samsung Captivate. For what is now the second time, I had my email where I can view titles, it updates to show me new email titles, and I can even delete emails. My issue is that I have gotten into the mode where the email app dies when I try to view an individual email.

Both AT&T and Samsung support has been the scripted delete an account then try to remake the account..hmm no difference? Well then let's reset the phone..

Now at the second time this has occurred, I am starting to get frustrated with the phone (I really do love the phone otherwise).

The first time it happened, I first had all of my accounts wiped out. After reinputting them, it took a day for the crashes to happen. After resetting the phone and redownloading most of my apps, it took three days for it to start crashing again. The only "out of the ordinary" thing I did the second time was update four pieces of software ("Google Maps", "Dominoes", "Buffaloian", and one other one I cannot remember). The next morning, my mail crashing restarted again.

any ideas? anyone else seen this issue? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

I have had it happen to me one time. I am holding out hope that the first update solves the problem. If not, then hopefully we will see a Cyanogenmod.
  3. johnhazelwood

johnhazelwood Member

I've had the same problem, and need to talk to tech support tier 3 to discuss. I don't think they will actually solve it, but I'm hoping the update will. It's annoying to have email crash frequently requiring a resetup of email.
  4. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

You have not mentioned what type of email accounts you are referring to. It does make a difference.

I had three gmail and two yahoo. I downloaded the gmail and yahoo apps from the Android store. Gmail is very fast, faster than on any of my other smartphones. Yahoo is laggy, so I simply killed those, and established gmail accounts for everything. Now with five gmail accounts, my email is really fast and stable.
  5. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

I like the K9 email client, free from the market.
  6. szalasny

szalasny New Member

As to the account types:
    - Work (an exchange server).
    - Gmail.
    - Hotmail. Hotmail has an annoying tendency to add more mail (to get to 25/50 total). When I delete the new spam, the older ones come back, and again it looks like I have new email, but I really don't)
    - college (NCSU - also an gmail account under the hood).

Even though the precanned AT&T mail app could not show any of my email, the Gmail app had no issues at all.

I did try K9, but it Microsoft Exchange support is not there yet, and the work email was not accessible (and especially not the calendar :eek:)

When I get home, I believe I still have at least one crash log on my sd card.
  7. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

I had 1 Exchange and 2 pop accounts and 1 gmail account. The crash/delete only affected the Samsung mail client, not Gmail.

Out of the blue I was presented a screen that wanted me to setup a new email account - no way to view the existing ones. Contacts and Calendar for exchange still there though.

It was weird.
  8. szalasny

szalasny New Member

I had the crash occur this morning. I returned the phone. I know that it is a software problem, and will occur again.

From one of my crash logs:
    09-04 13:36:56.530 D/AndroidRuntime( 4478): Shutting down VM
    09-04 13:36:56.530 W/dalvikvm( 4478): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001dc20)
    09-04 13:36:56.530 E/AndroidRuntime( 4478): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due to uncaught exception
    09-04 13:36:56.535 E/AndroidRuntime( 4478): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.android.email/com.android.email.activity.MessageView}: java.lang.NumberFormatException: unable to parse 'false' as integer

It looks like the mail viewer is trying to read 'false' as a number. The programmer in me says it should equal -1 :rolleyes:.

Yes, with the new phone (as with the old phone after the reset), the mail again worked. This leads me to a simple question about the pre-installed apps. I am thinking that the phone will be auto-updated, and then start crashing again. How can I stop this from happening? :confused:
  9. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

10. TevocRoux

TevocRoux Member

Anyone else see this issue? I just set up three accounts. 1 Gmail, 2 exchange accounts. Not sure what happened, but I came back to the phone after about 1.5 hours of it just sitting...and the accounts are all gone now. I have the contacts, and the calendar, just like the other poster.
    Thoughts? Anyone heard anything on this issue?
  11. szalasny

szalasny New Member

The first symptom of my issue was that the very first time, I woke to losing all of my accounts. I reentered them, and the next day was when I lost my ability to view the mail. The only workaround is that if you want to view the mail, you have to forward it to someone else, then see the message in the textbox.

The K9Mail exchange fix is only for Exchange 2003 not 2007.